Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4900 clog. Cleaning makes it worse.  (Read 10397 times)

tsjanik

Epson 4900 clog. Cleaning makes it worse.
« on: December 06, 2014, 02:55:02 pm »

I've dealt with clogs in my 4900 before.  I have the service program and cleaning solutions for the head station from AIS.  I have some unusual results this time.  I had a few blocked nozzles in VLM.  I tried a normal clean using the printer, this resulted in blockage of about 90% of VLM.  I let the printer rest overnight with cleaning solution in the docking head.  A few VLM nozzles returned, so I tried a C2 clean using the service program; this caused a complete blockage of VLM.  Why would cleanings increase the blockage?  Any experience with this problem?

Tom

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Epson 4900 clog. Cleaning makes it worse.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 03:04:29 pm »

I've dealt with clogs in my 4900 before.  I have the service program and cleaning solutions for the head station from AIS.  I have some unusual results this time.  I had a few blocked nozzles in VLM.  I tried a normal clean using the printer, this resulted in blockage of about 90% of VLM.  I let the printer rest overnight with cleaning solution in the docking head.  A few VLM nozzles returned, so I tried a C2 clean using the service program; this caused a complete blockage of VLM.  Why would cleanings increase the blockage?  Any experience with this problem?

Tom

Tom, the short answer is NO. The longer is that I routinely experience what are called "clogs" from my Epson 4900. I put "clogs" in " ", because whether they really are clogs or something else is a legitimate question. The only thing we know for sure is that the test pattern comes out with gaps in one or more channels. I don't have the service program and I don't have AIS fluid. I clean, run a print that exercises all channels, run a check - if still not clean, do another clean, run another print, run another check. If after two such cycles it is still not clean, repeat the cycle but this time with Powerful Clean for the affacted channel pair. I've never needed to run more than four such cycles to get back to normal. Epson ProGraphics recommended this approach " clean then print" cycles to me years ago when I was suffering the same woes with the 4000 and to a lesser extent the 4800 and now the 4900. It has not failed me - yet. Are you aware of this procedure? Have you "been there done that" before resorting to the more exotic options?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

tsjanik

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 03:14:57 pm »

Thanks for the reply Mark.  I left some details out, yes I did try clean and print a few times prior to the last cleaning.  I got the service program and the AIS fluid last year when I had a troublesome PK block that did not respond to the clean/print cycle; that combination eventually worked for me, but I don't recall a cleaning resulting in complete blockage of a channel.

Tom

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 03:29:28 pm »

Hi Tom, OK that clarifies the context. And yes, I have experienced cleaning that blanks a channel. But it has always come back after several cycles. Have you called Epson ProGraphics to discuss it? That part is free regardless of warranty status.

tsjanik

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 04:19:31 pm »

No I haven't called.  I was confident that I could clear this based on my previous experience, but again, I've never seen a clean increase blockage.  I'll try a few more clean/print cycles and if that doesn't work I'll call next week.

davidh202

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 05:54:18 pm »

a complete or partial channel loss is not a "clog",  it is air in the line! ... possibly a bad cart seal or a very low cart causing depressurization of the system.  You have ink starvation happening ;-)  Forget the cleaning solutions they won't help in this situation!!!!    
Try a new cart!
This happens ESPECIALLY if you continuously clean without running prints,, or do power cleans and cause a back suction in the head.
These printers do not differentiate a 'clog' from a 'lack of ink' !  A few missing lines or a deflection on a nozzle test pattern is a clog or a nozzle blockage on the exterior of the nozzle.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 05:56:51 pm by davidh202 »

John Caldwell

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 08:38:59 pm »

Asa David says, this is likely air entrainment rather than a clog, and I have seen cleaning worsen drop-out in a nozzle check. This continues to occur from time to time on our 9900. I do find that printing a file that strongly exercises the ink channel in question, occasionally coupled wit a Powerful Clean of the affected pair has worked. For superstitious reasons, I've also ejected and reseated the ink cart in question.

Much has been said about the fact the clogs, and air entrainment, mimic the same symptoms on this 900 series. I think I have confused the two many times, and probably even returned a 4900 because I made the wrong diagnosis.

John Caldwell

tsjanik

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 08:47:23 pm »

Ink starvation/air entrapment would seem to explain why cleaning cycles worsen the situation.  My VLM cart is half full, but who knows about the seal.  I'll order and try a new one.  Thanks for the tips.

John Caldwell

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 08:53:48 pm »

Forgot to say: I think a hallmark of air vs. clog is when nozzle checks show a missing nozzle to jump around between checks or cleanings. A clog, as I understand it, won't change nozzle location on the head.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 08:55:36 pm »

Forgot to say: I think a hallmark of air vs. clog is when nozzle checks show a missing nozzle to jump around between checks or cleanings. A clog, as I understand it, won't change nozzle location on the head.

Could also be surface dirt moving around. It only takes tiny, tiny specs.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 08:57:37 pm »

Ink starvation/air entrapment would seem to explain why cleaning cycles worsen the situation.  My VLM cart is half full, but who knows about the seal.  I'll order and try a new one.  Thanks for the tips.

Possibly, and this is why Epson recommends running prints between cleanings. But you say you've done all that - hence why I recommend you call ProGraphics first, before putting more time and money into it. If the cartridge is defective they may send you a free new one.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 09:04:33 pm »

a complete or partial channel loss is not a "clog",  it is air in the line! ... possibly a bad cart seal or a very low cart causing depressurization of the system.  You have ink starvation happening ;-)  Forget the cleaning solutions they won't help in this situation!!!!    
Try a new cart!
This happens ESPECIALLY if you continuously clean without running prints,, or do power cleans and cause a back suction in the head.
These printers do not differentiate a 'clog' from a 'lack of ink' !  A few missing lines or a deflection on a nozzle test pattern is a clog or a nozzle blockage on the exterior of the nozzle.

I think this is very possible, but not 100% certain. Usually running prints would force the air out, but Tom says he's done that. Low carts should not cause depressurization. The system is made to keep printing until the "out of ink" notice flashes up. It says so in the manual. Also, hard to imagine how a cart would become depressurized if it's just been sitting in the printer under normal use. I think a thorough discussion with Epson ProGraphics is really indicated.

tsjanik

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 07:41:48 pm »

Well my VLM has completely returned.  I called Epson and the rep suggested a $1200 service call.  I called again, having learned previously that there is a huge variation in response from the reps and was given a phone number of an Epson service center.  He suggested they might have an idea on how to treat a complete drop out.  When I called the center said they don't work on x900 series.  So I went back to clean, print, soak and wait.  Absolutely no improvement.  Since I have the service program and little to lose at that point, I tried the initial fill command.  It worked.  I have seen that suggested in some of the threads here.  My waste tank is nearly full and I need three new carts, but the printer is working - for now anyway. ;D

Tom

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 08:18:15 pm »

1200 dollar service call? Kinda obscene.

All the more glad to hear you got it back working. And I think this story is important. If the initial fill command worked, it would suggest the initial problem was not a clog, but something to do with air traps or pressurization, and if initial fill clears that up, it's golden. Some ink goes into the tank, but not 1200 bucks worth, and I think most of the ink used for an initial fill stays in the tubes it fills.

tsjanik

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 08:57:42 pm »

Yes Mark, air in the line seems a reasonable explanation.  Why a regular clean would have caused this is another question.  I'm confident that Epson has a lot of data concerning clogs/blocks, yet they don't share it with their users.   I have been very disappointed in Epson support; I've found every solution to my problems on forums or from 3rd party ink suppliers, but not from Epson. 

I will be getting a larger printer, but this incident is really pushing me towards Canon.  Then again, I'm acquiring a lot of experience clearing Epsons.  The devil that you know.   :)

Tom

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 09:27:05 pm »

Yes Mark, air in the line seems a reasonable explanation.  Why a regular clean would have caused this is another question.  I'm confident that Epson has a lot of data concerning clogs/blocks, yet they don't share it with their users.   I have been very disappointed in Epson support; I've found every solution to my problems on forums or from 3rd party ink suppliers, but not from Epson. 

I will be getting a larger printer, but this incident is really pushing me towards Canon.  Then again, I'm acquiring a lot of experience clearing Epsons.  The devil that you know.   :)

Tom

I have zero doubt Epson knows everything there is to know about how these printers work and don't work. It would be inconceivable to think otherwise. BUT what they are willing to share is another matter. Recall, this is competitive market (in which they are the dominant player), so they aren't going to put out information that could erode their market share and give their competitors information they shouldn't have. Furthermore, their lawyers and technicians have probably determined very carefully what procedures they consider it safe to put into the hands of consumers without risk of having people who try more complicated things on their advice, mess it up and then turn around and sue them. I'm not trying to defend this, I'm just explaining what is highly likely to be driving what they tell us and don' tell us, recommend and don't recommend. It's most likely a corporate policy mindset and these things don't get shaken loose easily.

All that said, I find it disappointing to hear that advice from tech support has been less useful than what we can learn in these forums. That may well be the above-mentioned constraint at work. I hope it isn't a case of support standards slipping, because I have to say, I've had a lot to do with ProGraphics support over the years (yes, mainly dealing with "clogs") and they have been generally very helpful. On my 4900 - must be run with real prints every three days at a minimum, otherwise there are gaps in the nozzle check and cleaning is needed. The day before yesterday I needed to POWER clean and print the Cyan channel four times before I got a clean bill of health from the nozzle check, and that was on account of leaving the printer idle for 5 days. My bad - I just didn't get around to it. Unfortunately, the x900 printers need baby-sitting. In my case, I don't think Canon makes a 17 inch model that will deliver the IQ of a 4900, so regardless I'm staying put. Most of the time it's fine. And knowing the initial fill trick could well come in handy one of these days. Many thanks for that.

tsjanik

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 10:51:54 pm »

I have zero doubt Epson knows everything there is to know about how these printers work and don't work. It would be inconceivable to think otherwise. BUT what they are willing to share is another matter. Recall, this is competitive market (in which they are the dominant player), so they aren't going to put out information that could erode their market share and give their competitors information they shouldn't have. Furthermore, their lawyers and technicians have probably determined very carefully what procedures they consider it safe to put into the hands of consumers without risk of having people who try more complicated things on their advice, mess it up and then turn around and sue them. I'm not trying to defend this, I'm just explaining what is highly likely to be driving what they tell us and don' tell us, recommend and don't recommend. It's most likely a corporate policy mindset and these things don't get shaken loose easily.

All that said, I find it disappointing to hear that advice from tech support has been less useful than what we can learn in these forums. That may well be the above-mentioned constraint at work. I hope it isn't a case of support standards slipping, because I have to say, I've had a lot to do with ProGraphics support over the years (yes, mainly dealing with "clogs") and they have been generally very helpful. On my 4900 - must be run with real prints every three days at a minimum, otherwise there are gaps in the nozzle check and cleaning is needed. The day before yesterday I needed to POWER clean and print the Cyan channel four times before I got a clean bill of health from the nozzle check, and that was on account of leaving the printer idle for 5 days. My bad - I just didn't get around to it. Unfortunately, the x900 printers need baby-sitting. In my case, I don't think Canon makes a 17 inch model that will deliver the IQ of a 4900, so regardless I'm staying put. Most of the time it's fine. And knowing the initial fill trick could well come in handy one of these days. Many thanks for that.

Mark, I understand all that you're saying, but supplying information that deals with the clogging issues with Epson printers would strengthen their market share.  It's a real problem which they should acknowledge and offer solutions.  The output of these printers is remarkable, but the internet is filled with customer frustration.  It would be unfortunate that behavior is evolving into that which has avoiding litigation as a primary concern. 

davidh202

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 10:58:43 pm »

Glad to hear this,  I said it earlier... "a complete or partial channel loss is not a "clog",  it is air in the line! ... possibly a bad cart seal or a very low cart causing depressurization of the system.  You have ink starvation happening ;-)  Forget the cleaning solutions they won't help in this situation!!!!"

I have been thinking that the entire channel loss problem and not being able to bring it back precisely resembles having to prime a pump , before fluid can actually be drawn and flow...it appears that is exactly what a initial fill accomplishes  ;-)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 11:26:55 pm »

Mark, I understand all that you're saying, but supplying information that deals with the clogging issues with Epson printers would strengthen their market share.  It's a real problem which they should acknowledge and offer solutions.  The output of these printers is remarkable, but the internet is filled with customer frustration.  It would be unfortunate that behavior is evolving into that which has avoiding litigation as a primary concern. 

Tom, the internet usually collects the bad news. The good news one doesn't often hear about, so I wouldn't rely on the internet as a reliable barometer of the frustration level. For every complaint on the internet there could be hundreds if not thousands of satisfied users. It depends how the machine is used, and in all machinery, some failure rate is normal (you just don't want it to happen to you.) Avoiding litigation is a real primary concern of every corporate environment I've ever come across. So they tend to be ultra-conservative. Maybe there's a better way of dealing with a certain class of customer, but it hasn't been forthcoming. We'll have to live with that I'm afraid. But I agree, it would be good to have more user-controlled service options available for handling these situations if a mutually satisfactory way of doing it could be devised. I have no idea to what extent Epson has considered this.

jferrari

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 11:40:43 pm »

I have zero doubt Epson knows everything there is to know about how these printers work and don't work. It would be inconceivable to think otherwise. BUT what they are willing to share is another matter. Recall, this is competitive market (in which they are the dominant player), so they aren't going to put out information that could erode their market share and give their competitors information they shouldn't have.

Mark, I think you may want to have a look at this. I would have thought that they were first or second. Nope, third.   - Jim
Nothing changes until something changes.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up