Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about noise reduction  (Read 1301 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Question about noise reduction
« on: December 06, 2014, 08:18:00 am »

I recently neglected to reset my ISO when leaving a dim building and ended up taking a bunch of outdoor, sunlit shots at ISO 2000 (using an E-M1). The noise is quite noticeable and I am wondering if there i any preferred way to deal with this situation - or, should I just work with the usual noise reduction methods (in my case, LR and/or Noise Ninja) and hope for the best?

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
Re: Question about noise reduction
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 10:07:40 pm »

LR or Noise ninja are good options. You might also try DXO Optics Pro with the Prime noise reduction (you can download a fee trial)

bjanes

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 01:17:36 pm »

I recently neglected to reset my ISO when leaving a dim building and ended up taking a bunch of outdoor, sunlit shots at ISO 2000 (using an E-M1). The noise is quite noticeable and I am wondering if there i any preferred way to deal with this situation - or, should I just work with the usual noise reduction methods (in my case, LR and/or Noise Ninja) and hope for the best?

Noise Ninja is an excellent tool. If you don't mind going into Photoshop, you could use a surface mask to keep the noise reduction away from edges and an edge mask to restrict sharpening to the edges in the image. Jeff Schewe discusses these procedures in his Real World Sharpening book. ACR and LR offer edge masking in their sharpening, but I don't know if they apply noise reduction via a surface mask, which is approximately the inverse of the edge mask. GMitchell previously published a set of Photoshop actions to make edge and surface masks, but the links no longer are active   Mr Schewe had protested that these were a ripoff of his intellectual property involved in Photokit Sharpener).

Bill

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 10:00:51 pm »

Mr Schewe had protested that these were a ripoff of his intellectual property involved in Photokit Sharpener).

No...I indicated the author of those actions did them because Bruce Fraser pissed him off on the Adobe forums...I never claimed any IP in PhotoKit...just  that Bruce and I came up with them first and Mitch copied them...he even gleefully admitted he did. Also note this is real old news...Mitch isn't around much and the links to his website don't seem to work anymore...so, I guess it's kinda hard to get his actions these days, huh?
Pages: [1]   Go Up