Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax 645Z and lenses  (Read 22028 times)

mikeSF_

• Mike Oria Photography
Re: Pentax 645Z and lenses
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2015, 01:33:58 pm »

Pentax 645Z & K3II www.mikeoria.com

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2015, 03:18:11 pm »

Michael,

I'm an h5x owner and finally got to play with the Pentax yesterday for a few hours. I found the LCD and sensor amazing, but could not imagine shooting handheld for any length of time with it, it struck me as bulky and awkward ergonomically. Especially compared with my nikons and the hasselblad.

-doug

The Pentax is I believe marketed mainly as a landscape camera in Japan. If I remember rightly, it even comes with an extra vertical-position tripod socket which does indicate an affinity for use on a tripod  :)

All the MF cameras seem a bit more kludgy than they would need to be. Maybe with liveview now in the picture it is time for mirroless MF :)

Edmund

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 03:20:38 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2015, 03:20:05 pm »

What do you need to know? The 645z rocks. Buy the focal lengths you need for your kind of work. If you're running on the cheap, the old "A" lenses are mostly excellent, cost nothing, and can be used for landscape with liveview.  At f8-14 you won't be giving up anything. 

That said, the FA 45-85 is a really good lens, and not expensive. 

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2015, 12:50:23 am »

Hi Edmund,

We have had mirrorless MFD for long, technical cameras. Now we have live view we have more options.

On the other hand, I would say that we need an integrated camera. The Alpa FPS and the Hartblei HCam come pretty close. Could be they need som effort to work well with live view.

Best regards
Erik

All the MF cameras seem a bit more kludgy than they would need to be. Maybe with liveview now in the picture it is time for mirroless MF :)

Edmund

Erik Kaffehr

Ken R

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2015, 05:33:26 am »

Hi Edmund,

We have had mirrorless MFD for long, technical cameras. Now we have live view we have more options.

On the other hand, I would say that we need an integrated camera. The Alpa FPS and the Hartblei HCam come pretty close. Could be they need som effort to work well with live view.

Best regards
Erik

I think what he means is something akin to the Fuji X-T1 but with the Sony 50mp 33x44mm sensor. Well, at least that is what I would want.  ;D

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2015, 05:44:21 am »

I think what he means is something akin to the Fuji X-T1 but with the Sony 50mp 33x44mm sensor. Well, at least that is what I would want.  ;D

I just meant smaller, less voluminous - those are objective criteria. In fact an Alpa or Arca with AF and an EVF would be quite neat in my book. Note that on-sensor AF is now possible as well as EVFs with modern sensor designs, and even without focus pixels as demonstrated by the GH4; of course it remains to be seen how AF actuation can work, but I'm sure Alpa or Arca could design a motorized focus helical or backplane.

For myself, I'd be very happy with a $1500 superflat Plaubel Makina or all digital Fuji folder. I don't think a rear screen is really necessary if you have an EVF, and one can always use wifi on an ipad to compose on a really big screen.

But if Ken R got his super Fuji-T made, I'd love getting one in the post :)

Edmund
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 07:50:25 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

mikeSF_

• Mike Oria Photography
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2015, 11:28:43 am »

What do you need to know? The 645z rocks.

- N.

and there it is.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2015, 01:10:55 pm »

Hi,

It goes deeper than that.

The way I see it, SLR technology was invented to give "what you see is what you get" information in the viewfinder. Now, we can use the actual sensor signal to create the preview image, so the reflex in the SLR is not any longer needed.

But, to make best use of live view, we need Electronic First Curtain Shutter. If we don't have that we need to close a mechanical shutter before exposure, reset the sensor and fire the shutter.

I feel that integration is necessary that camera/back can control shutter and may be even aperture. There should be an option for EFCS.

With leaf shutters I would say the situation is a bit different. It seems that they can cycle fast enough with little vibrations.

Best regards
Erik

I just meant smaller, less voluminous - those are objective criteria. In fact an Alpa or Arca with AF and an EVF would be quite neat in my book. Note that on-sensor AF is now possible as well as EVFs with modern sensor designs, and even without focus pixels as demonstrated by the GH4; of course it remains to be seen how AF actuation can work, but I'm sure Alpa or Arca could design a motorized focus helical or backplane.

For myself, I'd be very happy with a $1500 superflat Plaubel Makina or all digital Fuji folder. I don't think a rear screen is really necessary if you have an EVF, and one can always use wifi on an ipad to compose on a really big screen.

But if Ken R got his super Fuji-T made, I'd love getting one in the post :)

Edmund
Erik Kaffehr

leeonmaui

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2015, 07:33:42 pm »

Aloha,

I regards to the lens quality of pentax.
Thanks Michael for making it clear.

I have been using the 35mm for years on the 645D
It is an excellent lens, Although it's definately starting to show its age...

I have had the new 25mm for a few weeks and can honestly say it is better in all respects to the 35mm
In the field.
The slide in cpl behind the lens elements is really a nice touch and resolves one major problem of vinetting in a wide angle lens.
The focus is quick and accurate.
The lens stopped down is very sharp throughout and has solid color and contrast.
The weather sealing appears to be effective as I nearly got washed off the rocks while shooting 40 foot waves at Waimea Bay, both the camrea and lens were submerged briefly, and the camera never missed a beat.
I can't wait to put this lens on a new Z body!

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2015, 09:01:09 pm »

The weather sealing appears to be effective as I nearly got washed off the rocks while shooting 40 foot waves at Waimea Bay, both the camrea and lens were submerged briefly, and the camera never missed a beat.

Sounds cool, I have been willing to visit North shore in winter for years, but never got the opportunity.

Any images you'd be willing to share to make me drool a bit more? ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

leeonmaui

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2015, 09:33:44 pm »

Aloha,

Unfortunately no....
The camera and lens never missed a beat, but I did and all the gear in my still open waterproof bag did.
So after scrambling off the rocks with a now full of water; waterproof bag, I went and dried everything off
Everything but the 400mm was fine.
I had watched the spot on the rocks for half an hour and it seemed dry, of course as soon as I set my tripod down and unzipped my bag and took the camera out a wave buried the entire rock ledge. That was my first location of the day, after loosing my 400mm I didn't have the heart/inspiration to continue.
It's still early in the season I'll just wait for the next big swell I already have a pretty good compulsion and shooting time worked out.....

mikeSF_

• Mike Oria Photography
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2015, 08:16:01 pm »

Aloha,

Unfortunately no....
The camera and lens never missed a beat, but I did and all the gear in my still open waterproof bag did.
So after scrambling off the rocks with a now full of water; waterproof bag, I went and dried everything off
Everything but the 400mm was fine.
I had watched the spot on the rocks for half an hour and it seemed dry, of course as soon as I set my tripod down and unzipped my bag and took the camera out a wave buried the entire rock ledge. That was my first location of the day, after loosing my 400mm I didn't have the heart/inspiration to continue.
It's still early in the season I'll just wait for the next big swell I already have a pretty good compulsion and shooting time worked out.....

so sorry to hear about your 400  :'(

issa918

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2015, 10:48:09 am »

hi all, i am new to 645z. Last week, i got a FA35 and i was so disappointed, it didn't look sharp at all (the other lenses i have are 55/75/90). I did the lens microadjustment and mounted on tripod to shoot with mirror lockup, it was strange that some part of the images were like blurry. I have returned my lens to the shop, but I noticed my friend's FA35 is not sharp too. (he had 2, on 645d and 645z)

My standard of acceptable sharpness is like 55 or 75. While I heard a lot of fellows love FA35, i am curious of the others' lenses quality.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rhll1ewipsqjdio/ISSA0333.jpg?dl=0

Here is the link from the FA35 that I have returned, mirror locked up and shoot on live-view, on Gitzo 1228 and markins M10, from my office opened window.No wind, weather wasn't too clear. But my other lenses were def. much sharper.

i will be very glad if you can help me about this. I am unsure of getting another copy and even think to get 33-55 as well. I don't shoot landscape much, but I need a wider lens for my jobs (I do professional fashion photography), however the sharpness from the 35 was much worse then my sigma zoom on 5D even on close to mid distance.

Thanks and have a good day!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 10:55:15 am by issa918 »

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2015, 12:33:38 pm »

Paul -

I really have no idea, since all my own attempts at landscape images over the years have failed to satisfy me; I think I lack both the perception and technique for landscape.

I have seen superb landscape shots here, from many talented and technically gifted landscape photographers, and I am sure they will assist you any way they can. One such who has a presence here is Hans Kruse, whose compositions and colors have amazed me.

You might also message Michael himself, he owns a 645Z which he uses for landscape, I believe, has made images I admire and has a way of quickly cutting through bs. with concise good-enough advice.

Edmund

Thanks very much Edmund for the roses  ;D I have been shooting landscape using Canon 10D, 20D, 5D, 1Ds III and 5D III, Nikon D800E, D810 and Phase One IQ160 and I would simply say that for any of them the post processing has been critical to what I would get. More important than any camera is, of course, composition and even as important find the locations, the spots, the patience for the weather and maybe a sense of where the next magical moment will be. I have seen huge differences between these cameras in technical detail, dynamic range, useability, reliability, etc. But I have good shots from all of them. Mostly because I have been at the right place at the lucky moment. I found the Phase One IQ160 overpriced and not worth the money for my use. I could get equally good results with a lesser camera although with less resolution from a single exposure. I cannot subscribe to the socalled MF look. I simply don't see it.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2015, 01:11:09 pm »

Hi,

Pretty much what I see with my Hasselblad 555/P45+ combo. The resolution advantage is clearly there. The Hasselblad also suits my shooting style when I am in landscape mode. But, I don't see that MFD advantage.

The points Hans makes are very valid, IMHO.

Best regards
Erik

I have been shooting landscape using Canon 10D, 20D, 5D, 1Ds III and 5D III, Nikon D800E, D810 and Phase One IQ160 and I would simply say that for any of them the post processing has been critical to what I would get. More important than any camera is, of course, composition and even as important find the locations, the spots, the patience for the weather and maybe a sense of where the next magical moment will be. I have seen huge differences between these cameras in technical detail, dynamic range, useability, reliability, etc. But I have good shots from all of them. Mostly because I have been at the right place at the lucky moment. I found the Phase One IQ160 overpriced and not worth the money for my use. I could get equally good results with a lesser camera although with less resolution from a single exposure. I cannot subscribe to the socalled MF look. I simply don't see it.
Erik Kaffehr

the_ether

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2015, 09:45:21 pm »

hi all, i am new to 645z. Last week, i got a FA35 and i was so disappointed

Could the compression of JPEG be playing a part here? Part of it's function is to reduce variation and so will blur detail. Perhaps when checking the sharpness of a lens to the detail you are it might be better to review an uncompressed image. There's patches of dirt and variation in grouting that will muddy things in odd patches too.

issa918

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2015, 12:25:55 am »

hi, all the raws are showing the same characteristic, even at close range, that's why i felt the lens was defective. I am curious to see if it was just this lens or a common issue. I only shoot raws and pocessed in Lightroom which don't offer any stablizations.

I used to own Leica S2 and H4D-50, this sharpness is not up to 135 format standard I will say. Maybe just this copy i guess. Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 12:29:02 am by issa918 »

the_ether

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2015, 09:44:41 am »

This reviewer talks about a "blur zone" that he's noticed with the FA 35mm. Sounds like you've found the same issue.

"This very popular lens is an excellent performer under most but not all shooting conditions. It’s performance varies greatly depending on subject distance, f-stop employed and whether the subject is greatly affected by the extensive spherical curvature this lens exhibits primarily at long camera to subject distances. I tested out more samples of this lens (greater than 10), than any other FA lens.
One sometime strange observation I’ve observed with this lens is what I’ll refer to as a 'blur zone'..."

His conclusion though is that it is a very fine lens, better at close and mid range.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-digital-backs/35577-comprehensive-testing-results-observations-pentax-645-lenses-used-645d.html

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2015, 10:05:44 am »

You got a bum lens.  Sorry - that's so frustrating. Replace it and move on.  The best I can tell you is that the vast majority of experiences I have had or have heard of with this lens (and the A version) are very positive.

Good luck.

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up