Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it time for a class action suit against Epson?  (Read 5255 times)

cottagehunter

Is it time for a class action suit against Epson?
« on: December 05, 2014, 06:47:28 pm »

I have been using epson printers since 1995 first with an Epson  Stylus Color Pro Ink Jet Printer which was the first colour ink jet  on which I printed 750,00 pages, but then on to Epson stylus 200 (2) stylus 220 (2) (bought in a good deal never since repeated) ,  Artisan 50 , 810, Stylus 410, Aritsan 837, Wf 520, Stylus photo 825, and finally xp 850 (2) all of the photo printers only last two years before giving the message that the printer has reached the end of its service life contact Epson.
The last one was a xp 850 that gave up before the warranty was over so Epson replaced it but the warranty on the new on was only for the remaining 17 days well the second one, still on the starter inks just died but guess what no coverage. I only use these printers to print out  25 calendars a year so 25 x 13 = 325 pages a year maybe most 400, approx cost per page for printer year x 2 = +/- $.25 and that's before ink and paper costs.

I know why would anyone having this much trouble still buy the brand but look at that old Epson stylus Pro (replaced the heads once)
I also have an Epson 7900
 Just saying  >:( :( :-* :'(
Pierre

Phil Indeblanc

Re: Is it time for a class action suit against Epson?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 07:48:30 pm »

I owned thee Epson Stylus. It was the miracle printer at the time.Then the I think it was a 1200. Later a 1280, then some other model, and even the 5000 Pro! (Around this time HP was just starting to make some stronger headway). It still showed lots of dots.

But before the 5000 Pro,(a very pricey printer), I had promised myself to not buy an Epson again due to clogging issues. But I thought those were consumer grade and not the pro line.
After the 5000Pro having issues, I dumped the brand. I thought the printers were just too delicate, and finicky. I was so happy, as I got the HP 130. No clogging, no babying the printer. The Epson felt like a whiny picky baby. Other than the Letter paper size tray pickup on the HP130, which now some how is working again, the printer has been a work horse.
Leave it untouched with no printing for weeks, and on return, off the bat you get a error free print job.  Lately I have been getting a gap of some color in 1 or 2 strips on a 24x36" poster print, but smaller ones are solid with no issues.

Its almost 10 years old, and I'm ready for a new upgrade. You better believe I won't be getting an Epson. I might look at Canon, but in my immediate need, it might be better for me to go with HP to dive in with minimal learning curves.

At the time I was so upset with Epson, as we had this great bond. I make the images and Epson would make them into beautiful prints. It was hard. But once I let it go, there was no looking back. I could make a parallel to another device I use, but I won't start such a thing :-)

I shared this as simply my experience. I do remember the 7500 and up models being rather robust and solid machines, but likely still prone to the print head clogs, or random ink cleanings.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

davidh202

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 08:00:51 pm »

You might have better luck getting in line to sue Bill Cosby for sexual abuse  ::)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 12:55:58 am »

Just saying  >:( :( :-* :'(

Pierre, care to state why you think this situation is eligible for a class action lawsuit? Or were you simply trying to hype you post? Pretty limp attempt dooode.

cottagehunter

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 06:55:29 am »

Geez Jeff don't know what to say.       Except product reliability      papa ;)

crwoo

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 10:22:44 am »

sounds normal to me. If you want money, get a job!

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 10:30:06 am »

I use a Canon Pixma IP 4600  once in awhile for printing photos and other documents.  It doesn't clog but it sure drinks a lot of expensive ink.  Maybe that's why it doesn't clog.  Maybe that's the tradeoff?

crwoo

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 01:17:49 pm »

I recently traded my Canon pro-1 for an Epson 3880 and while i think the pro-1 is a better printer, my infrequent use wasted ways too much ink on the pro-1.
in my use i would rather do manual cleanings whenever needed than waste $300 ink in 6 months. when used daily, the pro-1 is a much better printer. i dont even use it weekly

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 08:23:40 pm »

Why would you think of suing when you could just vote with your feet and wallet?

Just move on - Epson doesn't owe you anything, find a different system and make prints.

Life is too short for wasting energy.  Put it into your work.

Just saying....  :) :) :) :)

Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 10:14:02 pm »

I really think that if a printer dies in the starter inks then you would have better success contacting Epson than coming here. I got my two years out of warranty Epson fixed for free when the same problem occurred. It is how you ask.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

cottagehunter

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 10:55:16 pm »

Thanks Bob I will give it a try.
Thanks also to all others for their input.

Pierre

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 11:43:11 am »

I hear your frustrations. It is something I felt at one time, and switched brand.

cottagehunter

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 04:42:31 pm »

Okay I know that some people will be upset at me re-posting on this post but. Okay maybe I am a sucker.
I bought another printer same brand on Dec 2 purchased an additional set of inks with it total cost of purchases $397.51 cost of gas to get to store and back $55.00 bought two more sets of cartridges on Dec 12  for an additional 265.30.  Total cost $708.81 In the end I printed out 10 calendars 8 1/2 x11 = 130 prints and now the printer died on me saying its ink pads are full. I know I can/will contact Epson for a warranty replacement but I think this is certainly the closest to a rip off I have ever been part of. Especially since I could have bought a 700 ml. or 2 350 ml cartridge for less money than I spent  for this one .

Pierre

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 05:27:48 pm »

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice....Good marketing, promises, and magic to make me a gold fish and forget all that I knopw, and shame on you again for fooling me twice by doing all that!!!

The third time you can say..."shame on me".  I did this from the original Epson Stylus Photo, all the way to the Epson Pro 5000, and a brief stint with the 7500.  (fyi, it was more than 2 times!)

Don't be a victim!
 :-)

jferrari

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 08:15:15 pm »

Don't bother calling Epson, just call your attorney and get the suit started! ::)
Nothing changes until something changes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up