Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Showing under acrylic. What kind?  (Read 1001 times)

huguito

Showing under acrylic. What kind?
« on: December 05, 2014, 02:23:14 pm »

I want to frame a couple of prints under acrylic, first time for me, I always used before either regular glass or frame them unglassed with just coating doing the proteccion.

In the store, Home Depot, I saw two different types, can't tell any visual difference.

One is marked as Acrylic Sheet, 0.093" thick, the brand is Optix

The other is marked as Polycarbonate Sheet, 0.093" thick, the brand is Lexan

Is this a case of different companies calling the same item two different names?

I saw no difference in weight, texture or lack off, weight, etc

Price is very similar.

Can anyone tell me if they are the same or should I pick one over the other for framing ?

Thanks very much

Hugo

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Showing under acrylic. What kind?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 03:55:52 pm »

Lexan is not acrylic but a trade name for a polycarbonate plastic.  I don't think it has ever been used for framing as most dealers sell some form of acrylic glazing (there are a variety of trade names).  I'm unsure about the transmission properties of Lexan vs an acrylic such as Optix.  I suspect that Home Depot markets these sheets for purposes other than framing.  these "might" not have the transmission properties you desire.  Acrylite is a tradename for framing acrylic and the brand that I use (I source from Frame Destinations though I'm sure there are other distributors as well).

One further note, Lexan is commonly used in the fabrication of food processor and has other industrial uses as it is stronger than acrylic.  IIRC Lexan was invented by GE about the same time that Bayer in Germany developed a similar polycarbonate.

huguito

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 04:24:33 pm »

Thanks Alan

Makes sense, the sheets of acrylic where label as being 20 times stronger than glass, the Lexan sheets where labeled as being 200 times stronger than glass.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 05:04:31 pm »

No problem.  I just would be skeptical of the optical transmission quality of stuff sold at home depot.  Impurities are always present in polymerization reactions and careful control needs to be taken to insure optical clarity. 

huguito

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 06:36:25 pm »

Who do you buy your Acrylite from?

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 07:31:33 am »

Hugo,

I buy from Frame Destinations for both Acrylite and Nielsen frames.  I don't do the amount of framing to make any investment in cutting equipment.  Frame Destinations has pre-cut framing kits available for a reasonable cost.  I don't use UV or non-glare Acrylite which are more expensive.

Alan

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 10:11:29 am »

Hugo,

I buy from Frame Destinations for both Acrylite and Nielsen frames.  I don't do the amount of framing to make any investment in cutting equipment.  Frame Destinations has pre-cut framing kits available for a reasonable cost.  I don't use UV or non-glare Acrylite which are more expensive.

Alan
Another vote for Frame Destination.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up