Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to turn off Lightroom 4.4's Edit Alert Dialog Box?  (Read 5955 times)

Tim Lookingbill

How to turn off Lightroom 4.4's Edit Alert Dialog Box?
« on: December 05, 2014, 01:35:40 pm »

That's the best name I could come up with for what I see with every edit and undo/redo function in LR's Develop module shown in the screengrab below. I don't know how to search on the subject online because I don't know what Adobe named it.

I can't believe how annoying it has become especially when attempting to see subtle edit tweaks to tone and color zoomed in on isolated areas of the image and then apply an undo/redo zoomed out to check how the edit blends with the overall image.

Anyway, appreciate any solutions or preference setting I may have missed. It's got to be buried within LR's interface somewhere.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: How to turn off Lightroom 4.4's Edit Alert Dialog Box?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 03:05:02 pm »

You can't change these ("bezels").

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 03:36:03 pm »

Thanks for the reply, john.

Something told me that was going to be the answer including the use of the most unintuitive word, 'bezel', as the name for that annoying piece of software interface.

God I'ld love to have a long sit down talk with the person or person's at Adobe that designed Lightroom's interface. If ever I want to get an idea of a person's personality and way of thinking so completely different from mine, I just start editing my images in Lightroom. They must be the same people who came up with those elaborately, modular closet organizers only the most obsessive compulsive neat freak could put to good use.

No wonder I keep going back to ACR.

But not to disparage Lightroom as an image editing tool overall, I still find new ways of improving the most problem images, pulling out more detail than I could in CS5's PV2010 even with LR's default sharpening. Even LR's point curve isn't as bad as I thought.

Please pardon my rant.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 02:57:24 am »

Here you go -

Eyeball

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 10:01:28 am »

Tim,

You may already know about this and have found it doesn't work for you either but I'll mention it in case you find it somewhat useful.

If you manually click on the History or Snapshot states, those bezel messages do not appear.  Obviously, this is not a great work-around since you sort of have to keep one eye on where you're clicking while the other is on the image.

You can also right-click on a history state to give it "Before" status and then use the "\" key to cycle back and forth, again without the bezel message.  This avoids having to have your eyes at two places at once although still with some extra fiddling to set the Before state.

It would be handy to use the keyboard to step through history or snapshot states but I could not find a way to do that.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 03:23:26 pm »

Here you go -

Thanks for the link, john. I remember that video from a while back.

Looks like Phil at the end of that video where he says he'ld like to reduce and simplify future LR's UI couldn't get around in the six years since that video was made to removing or offering an option to turn off the "bezel".

And the definition for "bezel" is nothing close to describing that alert box, so I have to ask, John, where did you find out it was named that.

Betcha' Phil's closet looks really neat and dapper. ;D

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 03:39:15 pm »

Tim,

You may already know about this and have found it doesn't work for you either but I'll mention it in case you find it somewhat useful.

If you manually click on the History or Snapshot states, those bezel messages do not appear.  Obviously, this is not a great work-around since you sort of have to keep one eye on where you're clicking while the other is on the image.

You can also right-click on a history state to give it "Before" status and then use the "\" key to cycle back and forth, again without the bezel message.  This avoids having to have your eyes at two places at once although still with some extra fiddling to set the Before state.

It would be handy to use the keyboard to step through history or snapshot states but I could not find a way to do that.

Thanks for the tip, Eyeball.

I was just thinking about the clicking history states/Snapshots workaround just last night as an only option. Another annoying tidbit is clicking on several Snapshot versions gets recorded to history state. And for some wonderful mishap when I click on plus sign to add an new Snapshot it now defaults to Date/Time naming which is what I've been wanting instead of "sRGB", both default names I have no idea how they were created. Now I don't have to keep entering a new name just to record a quick Snapshot. Date/Time is perfect.

One aspect about quick zoom views is the split screen Before/After using the space bar so I can see just how crappy my PV2003 images look at 100% view next to LR's PV2012. It makes me just want to commit to LR and redo my entire 3000 Raws. The screenshot sample posted above is just one among several that has convinced me.

Now the damn "bezel" gets in the way to slow me down!

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 07:33:12 pm »

Thanks for the reply, john.

Something told me that was going to be the answer including the use of the most unintuitive word, 'bezel', as the name for that annoying piece of software interface.

God I'ld love to have a long sit down talk with the person or person's at Adobe that designed Lightroom's interface. If ever I want to get an idea of a person's personality and way of thinking so completely different from mine, I just start editing my images in Lightroom. They must be the same people who came up with those elaborately, modular closet organizers only the most obsessive compulsive neat freak could put to good use.

No wonder I keep going back to ACR.

But not to disparage Lightroom as an image editing tool overall, I still find new ways of improving the most problem images, pulling out more detail than I could in CS5's PV2010 even with LR's default sharpening. Even LR's point curve isn't as bad as I thought.

Please pardon my rant.

Have you tried capture one?

Highly customizable UI, better color, and no bezels :).

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 09:50:29 pm »

Have you tried capture one?

Highly customizable UI, better color, and no bezels :).

Appreciate the suggestion, Doug.

Capture One was another third party converter I'ld considered in the past, but the price, requirement of upgrading my OS and what I've found online with regard to ease of use by users and the samples they posted of its "better" color tells me I'm just jumping out of one frying pan and into another with not that much to gain. This interesting LuLa thread...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=85771.0

...pretty much convinces me of just working with what I've got.

What's funny about the "bezel" issue is that word doesn't even show up searching in LR4's User's Guide PDF. Searching online shows one tip that the "bezel" can be turned off in LR's View Options dialog box which I found not to be true.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 03:44:36 am »

Thanks for the link, john. I remember that video from a while back.

Looks like Phil at the end of that video where he says he'ld like to reduce and simplify future LR's UI couldn't get around in the six years since that video was made to removing or offering an option to turn off the "bezel".

And the definition for "bezel" is nothing close to describing that alert box, so I have to ask, John, where did you find out it was named that.

Not sure, but it's used in the SDK or programming guide: "LrDialogs.showBezel( message, fadeDelay ) .... Shows a message in a window that quickly fades away. Only one bezel will be visible at any given time."

Sometimes bezels seem unnecessary, but when you're undoing a series of mis-steps they're a lot more helpful than having to look in the Edit > Undo menu to see what you're going to undo. If they caused widespread antagonism, perhaps the word would be better known?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 07:21:40 am by john beardsworth »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 06:52:49 am »

God I'ld love to have a long sit down talk with the person or person's at Adobe that designed Lightroom's interface.

Well, Phil was the guy that worked with Mark Hamburg to implement Mark's ideal UI environment, but it was almost gonna be me. Mark asked me about UI designers during a trip out to Adobe...I said what about me? I then went ahead and mocked up several UI "looks" and sent them off to Mark. However, Phil finally returned an email from Mark and got the job rather than me...but I fully endorse Phil's implementation!

Phil has a lot of credentials due to prior work with Kai Krause (KPT Filters)...LR's UI and overall design is far more advanced that many people realize. LR has been designed with a high degree of finesse but with more simple usability based on a task oriented design.

And no...LR's UI is not designed for "everybody" but is instead designed for maximum efficiency. If you adapt and work with LR in the "Lightroom Way", you get along fine...if you fight the "The Lightroom Way", you loose.

I think Phil did a fine job...

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 09:50:29 pm »

Well, Phil was the guy that worked with Mark Hamburg to implement Mark's ideal UI environment, but it was almost gonna be me. Mark asked me about UI designers during a trip out to Adobe...I said what about me? I then went ahead and mocked up several UI "looks" and sent them off to Mark. However, Phil finally returned an email from Mark and got the job rather than me...but I fully endorse Phil's implementation!

Phil has a lot of credentials due to prior work with Kai Krause (KPT Filters)...LR's UI and overall design is far more advanced that many people realize. LR has been designed with a high degree of finesse but with more simple usability based on a task oriented design.

And no...LR's UI is not designed for "everybody" but is instead designed for maximum efficiency. If you adapt and work with LR in the "Lightroom Way", you get along fine...if you fight the "The Lightroom Way", you loose.

I think Phil did a fine job...

Yes, Phil did a fine job overall. No question about it.

But did he ever give a reason for adding the "bezel"?

It seems all it does is tell the user what edit they just performed by flashing it over the  preview which has the potential of covering the results from the edit just applied? It happened to me with that posted image which is why I posted this topic.

The "bezel" seems redundant when the user can just look over to the left at the History State list which I find to be more helpful and efficient since it is saved to Catalog after quitting LR and is always associated with that image. That's one of the best features of LR. It gives the user the feeling the image is in a perpetual state of malleability, ready to be worked on upon a launch of LR just by clicking on the image where the dreaded "Don't Forget To Save" has been banished from best practices work habits. That's what I'm finding to be "The Lightroom Way".

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 10:17:03 pm »

Not sure, but it's used in the SDK or programming guide: "LrDialogs.showBezel( message, fadeDelay ) .... Shows a message in a window that quickly fades away. Only one bezel will be visible at any given time."

Sometimes bezels seem unnecessary, but when you're undoing a series of mis-steps they're a lot more helpful than having to look in the Edit > Undo menu to see what you're going to undo. If they caused widespread antagonism, perhaps the word would be better known?

Ha! You found it in the SDK programming guide! It's good you know how to navigate that, john?

See anywhere a LR hack could be implemented to turn the "bezel" off much like I did using Terminal to turn off OS X's "swoosh" animation when launching apps from the Dock. I was surprised how easy it was to do.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 12:30:01 am »

Hi Tim,

I started that thread, in a (possibly senior) moment when I was very tired of it. You shouldn't pay to much attention.

Mostly, Lightroom does a good job, but it doesn't work well with P45+ in some aspects. I still use Lightroom.

Best regards
Erik

Ps.
Some of the issues I have been Lightroom are shown here, but it is a rare case:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=94812.0

Appreciate the suggestion, Doug.

Capture One was another third party converter I'ld considered in the past, but the price, requirement of upgrading my OS and what I've found online with regard to ease of use by users and the samples they posted of its "better" color tells me I'm just jumping out of one frying pan and into another with not that much to gain. This interesting LuLa thread...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=85771.0

...pretty much convinces me of just working with what I've got.

What's funny about the "bezel" issue is that word doesn't even show up searching in LR4's User's Guide PDF. Searching online shows one tip that the "bezel" can be turned off in LR's View Options dialog box which I found not to be true.
Erik Kaffehr

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 04:08:10 am »

Ha! You found it in the SDK programming guide! It's good you know how to navigate that, john?

See anywhere a LR hack could be implemented to turn the "bezel" off much like I did using Terminal to turn off OS X's "swoosh" animation when launching apps from the Dock. I was surprised how easy it was to do.

I picked the word from elsewhere, Tim, but that's how I know it's the official term. There's nothing that can be done to change them though, and I quite like them anyway.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 02:19:44 pm »

Hi Tim,

I started that thread, in a (possibly senior) moment when I was very tired of it. You shouldn't pay to much attention.

Mostly, Lightroom does a good job, but it doesn't work well with P45+ in some aspects. I still use Lightroom.

Best regards
Erik

Your P45+ test images from that thread I downloaded and examined at 100% view told me all I needed to know. Frankly I was surprised the building detail of the brick and stone textures looked so cartoonish on both LR & C1 especially from such a high resolution fast back, but then I remembered that I got that same look on my own 6MP Raws by not applying the right sharpening setting. Now I know why Jeff says he could get the same results in LR as from C1.

I've been editing with software for such a long time that I've come to recognize all the little differences and what causes them no matter the software brand. There's nothing new under the sun except where they put everything and what they name it. Ya' know like the word "bezel". ::)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 02:22:51 pm by Tim Lookingbill »
Pages: [1]   Go Up