Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Info about a Hasselblad Lense  (Read 2446 times)

ron lacy

Need Info about a Hasselblad Lense
« on: December 05, 2014, 11:00:44 am »

Back in the 80's I shot with a Hasselblad for a few years.  Nothing exotic, just the 500c body, 80mm, A12.  Normal stuff.  Haven't shot with one since.  Recently I got the itch to shoot film and MF.  Found a kit locally and bought it all for less than $250.  How can you go wrong with that? 

The body is 500c and serial number indicates 1968 manufacture.  The lens is 60mm f/4 chrome and the serial number indicates 1962 production.  My question is about the lens.  The info I have read on the internet say this version of the 60mm lens was only made for about two years and the filter threads were 63mm.  The seller included a Hasselblad UV filter that is marked 63mm.  It is much too small to screw into the filter threads.  It simply rests on the lens and was kept on by the lens hood he also included.  I bought a lens cap and rubber hood and both are 67mm.  They screw into the filter threads and work fine.  So why does all the historical info on the net say the filter size is 63 when it is 67?  Does the Hasselblad filter info refer to something different that what we refer today?  63 is way to small to screw in.  Any info would be appreciated.

I am also wondering about the value of the lens.  As I said, I paid less than $250 for the whole kit.  I was surfing on e-bay this week and KEH has this lens for sale for over $1400!!  Their lens also says it has 63mm filter size.  Since this particular version of the lens was only produced for two years there is very little info available about it.  Again, any information or help in identifying the lens would be appreciated.

Thanks for any info.

Ron

Chris Livsey

Re: Need Info about a Hasselblad Lense
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 12:48:45 pm »

I have no idea on value but this lens is not 67mm (exact) but uses unthreaded Series VIII 8 filters, held in by a threaded retaing ring (and good luck finding one  ;)) or the lens hood. i suspect the references refer to a 63mm filter not thread which you have understandably but incorrectly assumed.
As you have found the tolerance of the lens thread and filters marked 67mm usually allows a fit. You may find they don't screw fully in though. You also correctly described how your 63mm filter works, as intended.

Series 8 were 2 1/2 inch = 63.5mm Ring 2 7/8 inch 66.7mm intended for lenses 51-67mm

« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 01:40:51 pm by Chris Livsey »

ron lacy

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 03:29:42 pm »

Chris-

Thanks very much for the reply.  I had pretty much come to the conclusion that the "63" did not mean mm's for a filter size.  It just didn't make any sense.  Thanks for confirming that.  I have mounted the 67mm CPL on the lens and as you said it will go on, but not too far and not too securely.  Again, I appreciate your info and reply.

Ron

Chris Livsey

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 05:20:55 pm »

Ron
No problem, Leica also used series 8 so you may find a retaining ring from Leitz. The 67mm is a risk,usually not enough thread to be secure. Interesting lens, let us know how it shoots, I have never owned one, the older C glass renders nicely for portraits but these days everthing has to be bitingly sharp. On value I'm sure you have not overspent  ;D

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 05:39:37 pm »

I had the 50mm C lens for several years. Though it was 63mm/Series 8, I simply used 67mm screw-in filters regularly with it and can't think of any issues I had with filters falling off.

If it seems to work I'd say use it for filters.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Chris Livsey

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 06:15:04 am »

can't think of any issues I had with filters falling off.

If it seems to work I'd say use it for filters.

I agree but with my note of caution as we may be mounting modern filters on a "heritage" lens. I don't know what pitch the Hasselblad thread was cut as but there are a number of possibilities and although you may have had no issues it is a stretch from that to generalise to all filters not having an issue.

This rather technical guide points out it should be easy as ONLY 11 possible threads are used in photographic equipement  ;D

http://www.skgrimes.com/library/faq/how-to-measure-threads

ron lacy

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 09:40:38 am »

Chris-
Thanks for the additional information.  As I indicated in an earlier message, my experience is that the 67mm filter will screw on the lens most of the way, but then it stops and it stops before it should.  This leads me to believe it is not an exact fit and I don't force it.  It is obviously not exactly the right fit.

I just wish I could get more information about this series of lenses (60mm f/4).  Information I have read indicates they were only made for two years, 1962 and 1963.  Seems that Hasselblad/Zeiss then went back to the f3.5 model. 

Thanks
Ron

ron lacy

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 09:44:55 am »

Larry-
Thanks for the information about your 50mm and the 67mm filters.  I intend to use the 67mm--but cautiously.  I can get it on enough to make it feel attached, but not secure.  Appreciate you sharing your experience.

Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up