Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop CC 2014 -- can't work with mapped network drives  (Read 10259 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Photoshop CC 2014 -- can't work with mapped network drives
« on: December 04, 2014, 08:36:18 pm »

As always, it seems Adobe finds a way to break something that isn't broken.

I have two network drives on which reside numerous image files from various jobs on which my wife (a graphic designer) and I work. I updated my Photoshop CC 2014. What a mistake! The program no longer sees my mapped network drives (I work on Win 8.1, so X: and Y:). Bridge (also updated) no longer sees the network drives. I can't drag and drop from Windows Explorer into Photoshop CC 2014. And to make matters even worse, Lightroom 5.6 is no longer able to send a network resided image to Photoshop for further work. (The image never opens in Photoshop.) Needless to say, many expletives deleted.

Now, before any of you say, "Oh, it's your system", uh-uh. It's Photoshop. Photoshop CC (which thankfully, I never removed from my system) has absolutely no problem with any of the above. I can drag and drop, no problem. I can use File>Open, no problem (it sees the drives). And finally, no issues opening a conversion sent from Lightroom.

What the hell is going on?? Way to go Adobe!!

Any thoughts or solutions?

Nemo

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
Re: Photoshop CC 2014 -- can't work with mapped network drives
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 04:00:22 am »

Right click on the photoshop icon and select "run as an administrator". If you can see the disks then the issue might be a permission / security related issue.

Also, right click on the drive(s) -> properties and then the "security" tab. Make sure the user you use for PS is in the list

Another possibility is to reset the PS preferences file. In windows, press and hold Ctrl + Alt + Shift as you start PS

Regards

Simon Garrett

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 06:07:46 am »

Francisco may be right that it's a permission issue, but whatever - Photoshop CC 2014 can see network drives OK for me, and open files on the network.  And drag-and-drop of network files from Explorer works.  And Bridge is fine with the network. 

You told us not to say "Oh, it's your system", so I won't.   ;) ;) ;) ;)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 09:24:01 am »

Right click on the photoshop icon and select "run as an administrator". If you can see the disks then the issue might be a permission / security related issue.

Also, right click on the drive(s) -> properties and then the "security" tab. Make sure the user you use for PS is in the list

Another possibility is to reset the PS preferences file. In windows, press and hold Ctrl + Alt + Shift as you start PS

Thanks for the suggestions. I already tried the "Run as Admin", but the same result. As for the security, I AM the admin as well as usuer and have the drives set up for Full Control. The things that has me stymied are:
1) Everything was fine a month ago (the last time I worked off the network drive, and before the update)
2) Photoshop CC works just fine
So to me, it's some change with Photoshop CC 2014, and trashing the Pref file does nothing nothing to correct it.

Simon Garrett

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 02:54:11 pm »

The only other suggestions I can make:

• Try reinstalling Photoshop CC 2014 (I've had a faulty install before)
  • Try removing Photoshop CC (you can always reinstall it - if you've not come across this feature, in the CC app, in the Apps tab, choose the "All apps" drop down, select "Previous version", and against Photoshop it offers CS6, CC and CC 2014)

If your broadband network is as slow as mine I appreciate that's a bit tedious. 

FAFSfrank

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 10:14:08 am »

SOLVED!

This problem was plaguing me and no amount of Google-Fu helped me to find a reference for Photoshop.

HOWEVER!

I found this link:  https://forums.adobe.com/message/7131419

It's for Acrobat, but when I went in to my PS compatibility details and disabled Compatibility Mode and Run As Administrator, the network drives came right back after I restarted Photoshop.

Hope this helps you guys!

Pages: [1]   Go Up