Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MF macro  (Read 1333 times)

wmchauncey

MF macro
« on: December 04, 2014, 03:53:51 pm »

I took this uncut image using a 22 MP 1Ds Mk3 coupled with a 180 macro lens and a 2X TC and extension tubes
It figures to be 3X magnification...can a medium format camera cough out the same uncut results?

The things you do for yourself die with

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: MF macro
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 06:26:52 pm »

A proper macro medium format solution can do far better, allowing higher magnification (if desired), a higher per-pixel sharpness, and a higher total resolution.

We use a Schneider 120ASPH Macro with our own DT RCam (near zero vibration, extremely precise alignment, slip-free helical) with backs up to and including the Phase One IQ280 for preservation film scanning solutions to replace and supersede legacy drum scanners. The technical requirements for this application are extraordinarily tight; you need extremely high sampling efficiency for around a 4 micron feature size, and you need that to be true throughout the entire frame (even slightly soft corners are not acceptable in film scanning).

Similarly I've done extreme magnification projects with medium format backs and Leica Photar lenses.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 06:29:33 pm by Doug Peterson »

wmchauncey

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 09:20:16 am »

Doug, I just offered myself an apology, I thought that I was one of the most anal retentive guys around.
After perusing your site, I conclude that I am an abject failure in that regard.      ;D

Was hoping for a solution that is somewhat less complicated.      ;)
The things you do for yourself die with

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 10:03:59 am »

I think your results are quite nice, and I stopped by the rest of your website and found many interesting images. If you consider photography a "playground" for interesting techniques to explore different visions I think you'd find you like MFDBs quite a bit - there are many unusual bodies, lenses, accessories, and techniques allowed due to it's highly modular nature.

But if you're looking for something a bit more plug-and-play then an entry level digital back with a Phase One 120mm D Macro with two extension tubes would be a good place to start. If you're in the US we'd be glad to help arrange the appropriate testing. The Credo 60 right now is on promo with a free body/lens. We could probably work something out to switch the 80LS to a 120D Macro; or you could look at some of the older generation macro lenses. The Mamiya 120mm non-D macro is a very very good lens and can be found for a bargain used. The even older Mamiya 120mm Macro for the 645TL (still fully compatible with the newer bodies - with the obvious limitation of having to manually control the aperture) is even less expensive and still quite good.  

If you want to be free to experiment with more combinations of approaches/equipment then I'd suggest a body that has a focal plane, like the Phase One DF+, which can therefore use random/off-system lenses. I'd also suggest a modular digital back system so that, if you need to, you can remove the back from that body and put it onto another system. Even a homemade plastic body with a Leica Photar or enlarging lens could give you good results (albeit with less precision and ease of use).

Remember that with more pixels you're effectively adding a "TC" to the absolute detail recorded while maintaining the angle of view of the non-TC image. The fly image I posted looks even better as a large print where the detail of the 60mp original raw files can shine.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 10:06:15 am by Doug Peterson »

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 05:14:42 pm »

Sure they can. Your DOF will be the limiting factor on either one.
I have read thats some folks use smaller sensor cameras with large mag to get a wider DOF.

Depending on the lens, stop down is limited. I have tried on some Canon lenses like the 180, but I think it was 11 or so starts to cause deffraction.
On a Sinar/Rodenstock 180 Apo macro lens you can stop down to 22 before the confusion comes in.
But I think at the end this maybe equal? Maybe physics is the limiting factor...Meaning you give up DOF for mag. Someone might better clraify this, as its been years since I did some testing and went with MFDb
So depending on your workflow one will have the upside vs the other.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...
Pages: [1]   Go Up