Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iMac5k Screen - Mac Performance Guide  (Read 3982 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
iMac5k Screen - Mac Performance Guide
« on: December 04, 2014, 08:37:39 am »

Not sure if this has been posted (apologies if it has, I'm a bit behind as have been in South Georgia and Antarctica for the last month - tough life!  ;D) but Diglloyd has done some very good right ups on the 5k iMac computer and screen vs. a Mac Pro. In short..at least as far as the screen is concerned its very nice to look at, but not for color critical work.
http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2014/20141103_2226-iMac-goes-back.html

For professionals with color-calibrated workflows, where color gamut, color accuracy and grayscale tracking over time and temperature matter, screen sheen compared to print media—the iMac 5K can certainly be used, but one need only view it side by side to see that the NEC displays are a better choice.

To truly see the difference in color gamut use this page: http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2014/20141021_1650-iMac5K-color-gamut.html

I found this review particularly interesting as I am on the cusp of purchasing a new mac pro and was for a brief moment considering the iMac 5k as an option, but will now opt for the 6-Core Mac Pro.

In terms of performance, at least for working with still images, the gap is pretty narrow.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 08:44:29 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

mdelrossi

• http://www.delrossiphotography.com
Re: iMac5k Screen - Mac Performance Guide
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 11:08:12 am »

Do yourself a favor and go see the 5k in person. Bring a few of your images on a usb stick and see how they look for yourself.
Unless you are doing high end retouching or Film grading, where color is absolutely critical, The screen is great.
I was doing motion graphics titles for motion pictures on an old 23" cinema display and the new iMac blows that screen away.
I calibrated the iMac screen with a colormunki and it looks great.

D Fosse

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 02:41:04 pm »

An iMac screen is just a perfectly ordinary consumer-grade IPS panel, just like any other consumer-grade IPS monitor. The Apple logo doesn't make it anything special.

That it doesn't come anywhere near reference-grade monitors like NEC PA or Eizo CG/CX should really be no surprise.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 04:28:15 pm »

I have a 5k and have had it since day one.  The display is calibrated and I am having fine results with it.  Capture One works fine with it and seems pretty fast.  It is a real pleasure to be editing at almost 100% when working.  I work with a number of large Phase One files and it has been doing just fine with those.  Also using Yosemite.  My system is in my main office and I work on my images there.  I sneaker net them down to my Gallery which is downtown Indianapolis where I do the printing.  When I got the 5K it was running very bright but once calibrated has been producing excellent results.  I have not done thorough testing on LR and I know friends that say LR is real slow on the 5k.  Once Capture One has generated the preview files it flies right through.  Photoshop seems very responsive and a complete joy to work with on such a nice screen.

Purchasing this system is like purchasing cameras these days.  You can read tests and look at charts but in the end it is how well it works for you in the field when you are using it.  For me the 5K works great.  It is tied to a 16TB Pegasus Thunderbolt and it works well enough in this configuration that I am able to edit files residing on the Pegasus in C1.  (even though I am not supposed to). 

In my gallery I have a 27 inch iMac 3.4 i7 that is calibrated also and drives out to either the 4900, 3880 or 9900 Epson.  I have G-Drive Thunderbolt drives hooked to it.  I also have two G-Drive 8TB TB drives that are used as backups and stored in a 3rd location.  I mainly do all my printing through ImagePrint and have terrific results on a variety of paper surfaces. 

If you are ever in Indy drop me a line and come by.

Josh, Welcome back.  I head south in a few weeks for two back to back trips.  Your images you have shared look great.  We need to catch up sometime soon.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

K.C.

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 01:22:34 am »

For professionals with color-calibrated workflows, where color gamut, color accuracy and grayscale tracking over time and temperature matter, screen sheen compared to print media—the iMac 5K can certainly be used, but one need only view it side by side to see that the NEC displays are a better choice.

Which is why I just took delivery of the PA272W SV which I'll plug into the 5K iMac.

In terms of performance, at least for working with still images, the gap is pretty narrow.

See above. No need to pay for all those processors just sitting there hungry for video editing.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 01:24:48 am by K.C. »

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 09:50:23 am »

Which is why I just took delivery of the PA272W SV which I'll plug into the 5K iMac.

You will love it  ;D

I am going to upgrade mine to the new 4K 32" SpectraView II when my new Mac Pro arrives.

See above. No need to pay for all those processors just sitting there hungry for video editing.

Its not just processors that kicked me up to the Mac Pro - its the RAM expansion capability. I have been running 64 Gig in my 2010 mac pro and I could easily use more so will likely go 96 GB in the new Mac Pro.

Kevin - About to board to head back to Antarctica for last trip before Christmas...boarding in a couple of hours. Ill be back in the USA in Feb in Yellowstone.. won't make it over to Indy this trip tho. Have a super trip to Antarctica! Wishing you Drake Lake.... Our current weather forecast is looking a little dicey for the crossing....A.K.A Drake Shake....
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 10:11:58 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

jduncan

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 10:01:50 am »

An iMac screen is just a perfectly ordinary consumer-grade IPS panel, just like any other consumer-grade IPS monitor. The Apple logo doesn't make it anything special.

That it doesn't come anywhere near reference-grade monitors like NEC PA or Eizo CG/CX should really be no surprise.

Except is a freeking 5K monitor driven by a single controller. The Apple logo doesn't make it anything less special either.  :)  

But I agree that is not for color critical workflow. Now in the other hand you can buy an iMac and a external calibration monitor.
For very heavy use, in the other hand the Mac pro is better starting by thermal considerations.  Also in terms of grow potencial.

Now, I will like to see Apple upgrade the Mac Pro before investing on it but that my  "evaluate the WCC" engineering mentality.
Jokes aside, the iMac is two generations ahead of the Mac pro in terms of processor architecture  /node combination.
The other advantage of the Mac Pro is how easy is to  upgrade, but the next generation Xeon from intel will not fit the current mac pro.

Best regards,
J. Duncan

« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:08:54 am by jduncan »
english is not my first language, an I k
Pages: [1]   Go Up