Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe plugins for Lightroom  (Read 4754 times)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Adobe plugins for Lightroom
« on: December 04, 2014, 08:13:24 am »

I just noticed a new Adobe site that I had not seen before https://creative.adobe.com/addons?pp=pslr where there are Lightroom plugins for sale.

I just wanted to try on and I was notified that the plugin had been installed. See the attached screen shot. And the second screen shot shows I'm running the Lightroom CC (v 5.7).

The plugin does not show up under the plugin manager.

Does any body have an explanation?

I quite like the (new to me) concept of installing plugins this way automatically (assuming it works).

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Adobe plugins for Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 09:09:18 am »

What kind of file was it, Hans? It's quite possible that you'll have to install it the old fashioned Lightroom way, not using extension manager or whatever it's called. My guess would be that it's the former.

That site has been around for a few months but most of the real plugin authors have stayed away. We've got our own established ways of reaching users, the site's uploading process was very time consuming, and we just didn't like the deal (no trial versions and a heavy annual charge before you sell anything). So the Lightroom part of that site mostly consists of worthless preset packages at extortionate prices.

And they are not "Adobe plugins". They are all third party, and any Adobe review is at best cursory!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 09:11:20 am by john beardsworth »

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 10:28:56 am »

What kind of file was it, Hans? It's quite possible that you'll have to install it the old fashioned Lightroom way, not using extension manager or whatever it's called. My guess would be that it's the former.

That site has been around for a few months but most of the real plugin authors have stayed away. We've got our own established ways of reaching users, the site's uploading process was very time consuming, and we just didn't like the deal (no trial versions and a heavy annual charge before you sell anything). So the Lightroom part of that site mostly consists of worthless preset packages at extortionate prices.

And they are not "Adobe plugins". They are all third party, and any Adobe review is at best cursory!

I found an alternative link to download and install the old fashioned and this worked. The plugin is btw. of no interest to me as it is pretty primitive. The price for the provided functionality does not make sense to me.

Thanks for responding.

jarnoh

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 03:26:37 pm »

Adobe does very poor packaging with the Lightroom plugins, they tell developers to send them .zip files and then their packaging extracts that same .zip file to user's Desktop or Downloads.  I don't think they even want to sell any plugins in the new Adobe Exchange.  There used to be link to Adobe Exchange in Lightroom's Help menu, but even that got removed.

As a plugin developer, it's dead to me.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 05:09:25 pm »

Adobe does very poor packaging with the Lightroom plugins, they tell developers to send them .zip files and then their packaging extracts that same .zip file to user's Desktop or Downloads.  I don't think they even want to sell any plugins in the new Adobe Exchange.  There used to be link to Adobe Exchange in Lightroom's Help menu, but even that got removed.

As a plugin developer, it's dead to me.

There is a link in Lightroom in the lower bottom of the publish section as attached. It is supposed to be installed as mentioned in previous posts. As it only came as far as I can tell very recently it must be something that Adobe wants to support and promote.

Gary Ferguson

• http://
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 08:29:42 am »

I've had good experiences with the Lightroom plug ins. I often use a Rodenstock 55mm Tilt & Shift lens on a Phase One camera, unfortunately the lens movements introduce a colour cast. There's a tool in Phase One's Capture One to correct this, but now Lightroom have introduced their own version as a plug in. My haphazard IT skills meant it took a few attempts to download it, but once it was properly installed it has worked perfectly...so well done Adobe!

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 10:53:11 am »

There is a link in Lightroom in the lower bottom of the publish section as attached. It is supposed to be installed as mentioned in previous posts. As it only came as far as I can tell very recently it must be something that Adobe wants to support and promote.

They do, but most serious Lightroom plug-in developers have steered clear of it for the reasons I gave. It's certainly the place to go if you want to pay ridiculous money for worthless presets!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 12:35:06 pm by john beardsworth »

jarnoh

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 07:02:48 am »

Inspired by this thread, I went along and tried to ask Adobe if the plugin submit process has been improved - but my email bounced because the support email address is no longer in use (the address was still in use in July) 

Couldn't find reasonable way to contact them from the publisher site either, so maybe they don't want to be bothered :)

I know the "Find more online" link, but earlier there was direct link to Adobe Exchange when you clicked "Lightroom Online" in LR Help menu.  Now there's just download and purchase links for Lightroom itself.
Pages: [1]   Go Up