Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Securing tripod head to a 3 Series Versa tripod  (Read 2284 times)

adam z

Securing tripod head to a 3 Series Versa tripod
« on: December 04, 2014, 08:03:03 am »

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but having received my TVC 34L today, I took the head off of my old tripod and screwed it onto the new one. On both of the previous tripods I've used, there were 3 holes where three threaded "screws" (not sure what they are actually called) were screwed in from underneath I assume to stop the head from turning and unscrewing from the tripod. These don't seem to be there on the RRS tripod. I did unscrew the small hook underneath and there were 2 holes, but the little screws I mentioned seemd to be slightly too big to fit in there anyway (I didn't want to force them and do damage, it was a fiddly area to get them into, so maybe they will fit). Anyway, I've done lots of google searching and found nothing. Hopefully someone can advise......thanks in advance.

Colorado David

Re: Securing tripod head to a 3 Series Versa tripod
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 11:07:50 am »

I know the Manfrotto tripods have the three small set screws to insure the head doesn't come loose, but others, like the Gitzo, don't have them. 

Paul Gessler

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 12:13:33 pm »

If I remember right (not totally sure as this was some time ago), my first RRS tripod (TVC-33) had a single threaded hole through the apex for this purpose. A setscrew was supplied that could be tightened from the bottom in order to put some light pressure on the ballhead's base, preventing unintentional loosening. But my more recent purchases from RRS (TP-243) do not have this. I'm not sure about the current TVC 3-series apexes, but from the looks of the photos on the website, they do not have the hole for the setscrew.

So they either changed the design, or my memory of my TVC-33 is failing me. But either way, as others have said, some tripods have this; others don't. If yours doesn't and you run into problems with the base of the head coming loose, you can use blue LocTite or Teflon plumber's tape to snug up the threads a little more. That said, I've never had problems with any of mine.

NancyP

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 01:26:23 pm »

Is teflon plumber's tape "reversible" (can the seal be broken by moderate shear force) if one wants to have the option of using a different head?

Paul Gessler

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 01:58:29 pm »

Is teflon plumber's tape "reversible" (can the seal be broken by moderate shear force) if one wants to have the option of using a different head?

Yes, and it's even easier done than with blue LocTite, in my experience.

But again, just for the OP, these solutions are only needed if you have problems with the ballhead coming loose. I don't think you will. Enjoy the new tripod! :)

bjanes

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 03:50:17 pm »

Yes, and it's even easier done than with blue LocTite, in my experience.

But again, just for the OP, these solutions are only needed if you have problems with the ballhead coming loose. I don't think you will. Enjoy the new tripod! :)

On my RSS tripod with a ball head, I used LocTite blue and tightened things up with a strap wrench. No further problems.

Bill

dwswager

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 09:02:37 pm »

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but having received my TVC 34L today, I took the head off of my old tripod and screwed it onto the new one. On both of the previous tripods I've used, there were 3 holes where three threaded "screws" (not sure what they are actually called) were screwed in from underneath I assume to stop the head from turning and unscrewing from the tripod. These don't seem to be there on the RRS tripod. I did unscrew the small hook underneath and there were 2 holes, but the little screws I mentioned seemd to be slightly too big to fit in there anyway (I didn't want to force them and do damage, it was a fiddly area to get them into, so maybe they will fit). Anyway, I've done lots of google searching and found nothing. Hopefully someone can advise......thanks in advance.

If you don't plan on removing the head on some regular basis, use loctite (Blue is semi permanent, purple is low strength).  I have this tripod and do regularly remove the head (Arca Swiss B1) to move it to a Uniloc Minor (which also doesn't have a anti-twist mechanism) or to install a specialty head.  I don't have a problem with it coming unscrewed even without loctite thread locker.

adam z

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 11:54:21 am »

Thanks everyone. You have relieved my concerns! I don't plan to leave the manfrotto junior geared head on there permanently so unless I have issues with it loosening I'll leave it as it is. I pan to replace it once I can afford an Arca C1 Cube. Even with the cube, I may also get a ballhead (either a BH-55, or if I can find one a Burzynsky) for some work, so I'd prefer it to not be a hassle to remove it when required.

Some Guy

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 12:21:10 pm »

I bought my RRS stuff at their shop and watched while they used the blue Lock-tite in assembly.  So far so good.

Only ones that seem to loosen are the legs onto the yoke where they can fall into position.  I like to set them tight enough so they don't fall under their own weight when held sideways.  They provided hex wrenches for those.

SG

dwswager

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 04:07:56 pm »

Only ones that seem to loosen are the legs onto the yoke where they can fall into position.  I like to set them tight enough so they don't fall under their own weight when held sideways.  They provided hex wrenches for those.

SG

This is the one weakness of their tripod design.  Both that it takes 2 hex keys to tighten/loosen the legs and that there is no way to tension the legs and keep them at that tension.  It is actually one thing I really like about the Uniloc tripod I use.  The legs are all loose (drunk octopus) or all tight based on how you have tightened the bent bolt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up