Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ipf8400 changing rolls  (Read 1051 times)

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
ipf8400 changing rolls
« on: December 02, 2014, 11:06:24 pm »

Hey folks,
   I'm printing 24", 36" and 44" rolls of canvas today and doing a bit of switching between them. This is the first time I've ever noticed this but suddenly I'm getting a solid 8" of extra space between the barcode that tells the printer what I've loaded and the start of my image. I used to just get an inch or two. nothing I do will let me rewind the roll to not waste so much space. any ideas why this is happening? when I switch rolls a lot this really adds up to a lot of lost real-estate fast.
Mark

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
Re: ipf8400 changing rolls
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 11:40:41 pm »

Sorry, can't help you.
I disabled the barcode printing on all my printers a few years ago to minimize waste. My IPF 8400 never had it on.
As I print commercially and change roll 4 times a day (average), you can guess the amount of waste on a year. Something like 9 entire rolls wasted every year!
Now I manually control the paper usage (writing on the boxes) and handle the paper with extra care to minimize the necessity of cutting the leading edge after loading.   

Richard.Wills

• Photofusion Photography Centre
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 06:00:35 am »

We change rolls often a dozen or more times a day.
Too many fairly similar looking materials get switched in and out. Couldn't live without the barcode!

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 12:45:00 pm »

We change rolls often a dozen or more times a day.
Too many fairly similar looking materials get switched in and out. Couldn't live without the barcode!

People are different and so are business, but I think if you calculate the amount of money and resources wasted every year you could reconsider.
Here, as every paper that leaves the printer goes straight to the original box (that remain under the printer while the paper is loaded) and we use the printer's internal server to monitor the paper usage and write it on the box, the barcode became useless.
Sure it was confusing and some mistakes were made when we started to do it, before it became an automatic procedure. But the $aving$ worth it and it does not slow us more than 20 seconds per roll change. Plus, we have an accurate control of the remaining paper on the outside of each paper box.

Landscapes

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 02:30:46 pm »

Since you guys seem to be keeping very accurate measurements, how much paper are we actually getting?  For a 40 foot canvas roll... how close to 40 feet do we get.  Or how about the 100 foot paper rolls?  I imagine they give us just a little bit extra so as not to be blamed for short changing us.  I think with ink carts, there is always a little bit left, but they put in a little bit more so that if the cart says there are 130ml, there might in fact be more but we at least get to use the 130ml that is promised.

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 02:54:14 pm »

Usually a foot or so beyond the stated length, on rare occasions we got 3ft over or 1ft under, but that is impossible to prove as the roll is already gone when you notice it. Besides, the length tracking of the printers is not as precise as we would like, so, a foot for an entire roll could very well be measurement error.

crwoo

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 05:15:44 pm »

Hi, weird but i have noticed my iPF8400 wastes more on canvas than on photo paper with the barcode and borderless.
Pages: [1]   Go Up