Re: Tired
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 09:46:53 am »

I don't understand this one.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 08:39:58 pm »

It's an appealing abstract, but I don't get the title, either.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 01:00:43 pm »

It's an appealing abstract, but I don't get the title, either.

Nor do I. I thought it must just be me. I do quite like the image.

Jeremy

armand

• Photos
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 01:37:29 pm »

What we have here is a failure to communicate  ;)

I wouldn't lose much time thinking about the title as while it refers to the photo content at some extent the main reason for it was what impression I had when I took the shot, thus quite personal and difficult to understand by somebody who is not me.

I thought it relates to the photo as it looks that somebody tired of being under scrutiny (as the room was not totally dark to start with if you look at the shadows, the photo was without flash) just pushed it up the wall but didn't turn it off. Some might think this is fancy and I came up with it after the shot so that's why I was hesitant to divulge it in the first place. For those people just change the title to "untitled"  ;D

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 01:55:11 pm »

To get a message across in the photograph the message has to be clear and simple. That's one of the great things about a really good street shot: It doesn't try to get a message across. Instead, it leaves you scratching your head.

You took on too much in this shot. The message was neither clear nor simple.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 03:30:08 pm »

To get a message across in the photograph the message has to be clear and simple. That's one of the great things about a really good street shot: It doesn't try to get a message across. Instead, it leaves you scratching your head.

You took on too much in this shot. The message was neither clear nor simple.

I fail to follow your reasoning. So a great photo either has a clear and simple message or doesn't try to get any message across?!

So in my shot (which ain't street by any stretch) my message was not clear and simple. Keep in mind I was just trying to justify the title.
How about if the title was untitled or if I didn't say anything about a message, would that just leave you scratching your head? Somehow I got the impression of the latter from the first posts.

Again, this wasn't staged. I saw it, I felt somehow viscerally connected to it with a little rationalization (hence my prior explanation about the title not the message) and this is the result. I really cannot do any better than this explaining a message, maybe down the road I'll be able to convert those feelings into some meaningful words, or maybe not.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 07:48:16 pm »

Hi Armand,

I didn't say anything about a "great photo." I wrote about getting a message across in a photograph. Very few photographs with a clear, quickly understandable "message" are "great photos." It's the photos that make you work that are great photos. The problem with this photo isn't that it's not simple. It certainly is. But it's not clear. The title has nothing to do with it. It's a picture of a light shining against a wall. As you say, it brings up some "visceral connection" for you, and that's fine, but it obviously doesn't bring up any such connection for the other people who see it. To go back to the idea of a "great photo," a great photo brings up visceral connections for practically anyone who sees it. Gene Smith's "Walk to Paradise Garden" does that. A light against a wall doesn't.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 05:49:53 pm »

If I knew it's a great shot I wouldn't have post it here. And I try to stay away from the comparisons with great photographers as I might give up photography if I need to reach the same standard.

I'm curious to why it got so many views though, was it the title playing good marketing?
Pages: [1]   Go Up