Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help!-Upgraded to Mac OS 10.10.1...CS5 Won't Work  (Read 2295 times)

BradSmith

Help!-Upgraded to Mac OS 10.10.1...CS5 Won't Work
« on: December 02, 2014, 04:49:03 pm »

I just upgraded from OS X 10.6.8 to 10.10.1 Yosemite.  CS 5 won't open.  At first I got a message that I needed to install the "old" Java SE 6 and a link was provided.  I clicked on the link provided and was taken to an Apple support page which had a link to download Java for OSX 2014-001.  I downloaded and installed this.  It wasn't Java SE 6, but the link took me there so I figured it must be right.  I donwloaded and installed it.  Rebooted CS 5 and now when I try to open CS 5, I get an error message and CS 5 "will now exit".  

I tried to research this, and there seem to be some solutions (Java SE 8) that worked for some people but not for others.  Several people said you had to enter Terminal Mode and provided several lines of arcane gibberish Terminal instructions to enter.  I'm reluctant to do anything in terminal mode.   Can this really be the only way to accomplish this?
Brad
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 12:45:30 pm by BradSmith »

CoyoteButtes

Re: Help!-Upgraded to Mac OS 10.10.1...CS5 Won't Work
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 09:06:24 pm »

I had attempted to install 10.10. It did me a favor and froze up without completing the install process. I was able to recover to 10.9 with a SuperDuper backup.

Based on all that I have been able to read on 10.10 I will not be attempting another install until 10.10.3 is out. And then with caution.

Lloyd Chambers has written about some difficulties with DreamWeaver similar to what you are describing with Photoshop CS5: http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2014/20141201_1224-AdobeDreamWeaver-wontLaunch.html

Good luck

BradSmith

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 02:19:50 pm »

Update:  Someone on the Adobe forum had the same problem and uninstalling/reinstalling CS 5 solved their problem.  I tried.  Didn't work for me. 
Brad

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 04:47:58 pm »

So you went from 10.6 to 10.10 in one go and you had a problem with one application? That is like two computer eons, so you are probably very fortunate.

I suggest first off is go through every System and User Library and remove everything that is so old that it could not possibly be used. Remove all printers that you no longer have. Go Apple - About This Mac - More information and find every application that is not Intel or Universal and remove them. That is what generally stops 10.6 to 10.7 or 8. I am still on 10.9 and staying that way until something forces me. Use the Font Book app to Validate fonts and remove duplicates. If nothing else you will have a cleaner faster machine.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

kirkt

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 09:49:28 am »

Have you tried the Adobe CS5 Cleaner Tool?

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs5clean.html

Kirk
Pages: [1]   Go Up