Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: When is a photograph a 'lie'?  (Read 8783 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: When is a photograph a 'lie'?
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2014, 03:01:15 pm »

On that basis, are we to likewise interpret any piece or comment that is posted on LuLa as necessarily reflecting the position 'of Michael, Kevin et al' on some level ?  I think not.

Sorry, wrong analogy. This is an open forum, and admins do not read first for approval. In a printed press, or even their online edition, what goes in is subject to screening.

Isaac

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2014, 03:38:33 pm »

I don't understand what you mean by cynical.

I believe Colorado David was simply acknowledging that the opinion he expressed was based more on pessimism than specific information.

Manoli

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2014, 04:17:48 pm »

In a printed press, or even their online edition, what goes in is subject to screening.

Yes, for legal liability.

The section of this newspaper is clearly marked 'comment is free' and expanded upon in the quotes I've posted above. The bias you and others are railing against should, in this case, be attributed to the author of the piece, not the newspaper.  Editorial comment is clearly marked as such.

I've run a quick check on some of the contributors today :

> Syreeta McFadden is a Guardian US contributing opinion writer ...
> Ann Widdecombe has been a Conservative member of parliament for 20 years, ...She served as prisons minister under John Major and shadow home secretary under William Hague
> Simon Jenkins is a journalist and author. He writes for the Guardian as well as broadcasting for the BBC. He has edited the Times and the London Evening Standard and is chairman of the National Trust.
> Richard Stein is a partner at the law firm Leigh Day. His practice covers judicial review and human rights ..
> Anne McElvoy was a correspondent in East Germany, and is the author of East Germany's Life and Legacy. She is public policy editor of the Economist.

No comment on Syreeta, but the others aren't exactly your typical collection of biased, anti-establishment, left-wing loons - ( to use your inference).

Manoli

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2014, 04:22:56 pm »

This thread was meant to be about 'that' photograph and its context.

Is it poignant ? - yes.
Does it appeal to the hopes of many Americans ? - yes
Is it representative of the mood surrounding Ferguson ? - no.

IMO

« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 04:24:33 pm by Manoli »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2014, 05:07:34 pm »

... Is it representative of the mood surrounding Ferguson ? - no.

The purpose of that photo is not to represent whatever the mood about Ferguson is, but to be a counterpoint to it.

What mood that photo represents for ME is the following: whether police will hug you or chase you depends not on your skin color, but your attitude and deeds. As is should be, and overwhelmingly is. What "the mood surrounding Ferguson" is for ME: "Hey, we are just honest criminals trying to make a buck, so we want the police to stay out of our way. If you try to stop us, we will attack you. And if we end up with a short end of the stick, we will accuse you of racism."

Gulag

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2014, 08:09:21 pm »

"All photographs are accurate. None of them is the truth."

— Richard Avedon (1923 –2004).

"Photography is our exorcism. Primitive society had its masks, bourgeois society its mirrors. We have our images."

— Jean Baudrillard

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2014, 04:53:54 am »

"All photographs are accurate. None of them is the truth."

— Richard Avedon (1923 –2004).

Superficially deep; but on reflection, merely superficial.

Jeremy

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2014, 08:08:17 am »

What "the mood surrounding Ferguson" is for ME: "Hey, we are just honest criminals trying to make a buck, so we want the police to stay out of our way. If you try to stop us, we will attack you. And if we end up with a short end of the stick, we will accuse you of racism."

I think the most you can say is that may be true of some of the participants.
--
Robert

Gulag

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2014, 02:44:36 pm »

Ferguson was all about Police Brutality before the multi-billion-dollar MSM hijacked and co-oped it into a racism debate. Mark Twain succinctly says, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
"Photography is our exorcism. Primitive society had its masks, bourgeois society its mirrors. We have our images."

— Jean Baudrillard

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2014, 12:54:36 pm »

Vacuous opining.

(Wow! Snide commentary is sooo easy!)

True. But if vacuous, pointless. Gulag posted that quotation as if it meant something, as if it had some profound relevance to the topic. It doesn't. It just means nothing. No photograph is "accurate"; and even if one searches kindly for some meaning, "None of them is the truth" has none.

My comment was a riposte to the post. Yours is the irrelevant howl of a teenager.

Jeremy

Isaac

« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2014, 01:02:43 pm »

…even if one searches kindly for some meaning…

If one searched kindly for some meaning, one would find Avedon discussing his photography - but your response was not charitable and you didn't look for meaning.

Isaac

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2014, 01:03:13 pm »

Mark Twain succinctly says, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

I find that to be true, surprisingly often.

Rather than using that dictum to criticize others, we should apply it to ourselves.

Gulag

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2014, 05:23:02 pm »

I find that to be true, surprisingly often.

Rather than using that dictum to criticize others, we should apply it to ourselves.

yes,

— Jean Baudrillard
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up