Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom profiles and color editor  (Read 1356 times)

Malcolm Payne

Custom profiles and color editor
« on: December 02, 2014, 05:33:49 am »

I have an odd problem with the Color Editor and custom profiles in C1-8.02 (also present in earlier major and minor versions) that Phase One claim to be unable to reproduce, yet which is entirely repeatable on two separate systems (Win 7 & Win 8.1) here.

I use my own custom D3x ICC profiles generated in ProfileMaker5 for studio work, and have further modified and saved a couple of these using the C1 Color Editor to compensate for a cyan bias in the blues in some images. With the rendering intent in C1 set to perceptual, all these work as expected and the Color Editor can be used to make further adjustments to the image as required.

However, if the RI is set to anything other than perceptual, e.g. relative colorimetric, those previously modified custom profiles do not then allow further adjustment of the image with the Color Editor - the colour clicked on by the sampler appears to be selected in the colour wheel, but non-selected areas are not greyed out when View Selected Color Range is ticked, and moving the sliders has no effect on the image.

Modified generic C1 profiles work correctly under all rendering intents, as do my unmodified custom profiles - it seems to be only the specific combination of the modified custom profiles with rendering intents other than perceptual that has this problem.

Has anyone else seen anything similar? Phase One have hinted that it may be connected with the Color Editor effectively performing a double correction when using a modified custom profile then further adjusting the image, but it is not clear why this should cause problems in just this specific instance and no solution has yet been proposed.

Any confirmation of similar problems or other suggestions would be very welcome.

Many thanks.

Frederic_H

• www.fredericharster.com
Re: Custom profiles and color editor
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 01:15:57 pm »

Did they mention issues with v4 ICC profiles ? I was told to use v2 profiles only, but that was in C1 V6 or 7, not sure.

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 04:14:54 pm »

I have an odd problem with the Color Editor and custom profiles in C1-8.02 (also present in earlier major and minor versions) that Phase One claim to be unable to reproduce, yet which is entirely repeatable on two separate systems (Win 7 & Win 8.1) here.

I use my own custom D3x ICC profiles generated in ProfileMaker5 for studio work, and have further modified and saved a couple of these using the C1 Color Editor to compensate for a cyan bias in the blues in some images. With the rendering intent in C1 set to perceptual, all these work as expected and the Color Editor can be used to make further adjustments to the image as required.

However, if the RI is set to anything other than perceptual, e.g. relative colorimetric, those previously modified custom profiles do not then allow further adjustment of the image with the Color Editor - the colour clicked on by the sampler appears to be selected in the colour wheel, but non-selected areas are not greyed out when View Selected Color Range is ticked, and moving the sliders has no effect on the image.

Modified generic C1 profiles work correctly under all rendering intents, as do my unmodified custom profiles - it seems to be only the specific combination of the modified custom profiles with rendering intents other than perceptual that has this problem.

Has anyone else seen anything similar? Phase One have hinted that it may be connected with the Color Editor effectively performing a double correction when using a modified custom profile then further adjusting the image, but it is not clear why this should cause problems in just this specific instance and no solution has yet been proposed.

Any confirmation of similar problems or other suggestions would be very welcome.

Many thanks.

may be you can post the ICC profile here (as attachment) and let people to look at it ? if you are afraid that somebody steals it - then just quickly make (take a good one and damage it is in color editor by introducing odd colors) a dummy profile that has the same issue, but no value

Malcolm Payne

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 05:56:05 am »

Frederick - Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm aware of the issues with V4 profiles and I'm pretty sure these are all V2 (I'll check to be certain). And they all work perfectly correctly under all RI's until modified by C1's colour editor, which suggests that probably isn't the issue anyway. I'm currently waiting until I have some downtime for P1 to have a look at the machine remotely in case there's something they or I have missed or they haven't understood in my description of the problem.

Deejjjaaa - No problem with posting a sample profile here if that's possible and anyone feels they would like to take a look - they're specific to my camera/lens/studio lighting combination(s) anyway, so probably wouldn't be of much use directly to anyone else (not that I'm worried if they were).

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 10:18:15 am »

Deejjjaaa - No problem with posting a sample profile here if that's possible and anyone feels they would like to take a look - they're specific to my camera/lens/studio lighting combination(s) anyway, so probably wouldn't be of much use directly to anyone else (not that I'm worried if they were).

so where is the profile then ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up