Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aperture to Media Pro  (Read 13677 times)

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Aperture to Media Pro
« on: December 01, 2014, 06:28:20 pm »

I'm thinking of moving over from Aperture as Apple has abandoned it and nothing else looks to be on the horizon. So before the problems start on an unsupported system I think I should get something else in place.
Do I have to export all the raw files into Media Pro and will all the keywords be intact in Media Pro?
I intend to run the media Pro library on it's own drive as I do my Aperture library, so I expect to run them side by side until I get up to speed on Media Pro.
Does Media Pro have anything like the vault system for back-up I thought this an excellent feature that has never let me down. Can Media Pro create smart albums or similar?
Anything else I should know about Media Pro that could be an issue after using Aperture for years?

Thanks,

Kevin.
Kevin.

xocet

Re: Aperture to Media Pro
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 02:53:32 am »

In case you aren't aware, Aperture is supposedly going to be replaced with the Photos app , sometime in the new year. Unless there's some pressing need to migrate now, I'd wait a bit and see what capabilities the new application is likely to have.  So far there's only been limited information released / leaked. I'd imagine that even if the image editing tools aren't as strong as LR, the asset management part will be at the very least similar to Aperture.

Aperture is still supported, and was updated for the recent Yosemite release.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 04:43:03 am »

In case you aren't aware, Aperture is supposedly going to be replaced with the Photos app , sometime in the new year. Unless there's some pressing need to migrate now, I'd wait a bit and see what capabilities the new application is likely to have.  So far there's only been limited information released / leaked. I'd imagine that even if the image editing tools aren't as strong as LR, the asset management part will be at the very least similar to Aperture.

Aperture is still supported, and was updated for the recent Yosemite release.
Thank you I wasn't aware anything else was happening. I just hope it's not aimed squarely at the "My photos" brigade and has professional features as well.
I will hang on a bit then.
Kevin.

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 09:06:46 pm »

Look, Media Pro is OK but no one knows for how long.

Phase One's support of Media Pro seems questionable. I would wait.

Go to Phase Ones support forums and see for yourself.

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 04:53:59 pm »

I use both Aperture and MediaPro, and I would say that migrating from Ap to MP, while possible, would be pointless.  MP is not designed to handle non-destructive editing, and it has no concept of Stacks.  If you're using Ap purely as a DAM then it could work, but frankly MP is even more neglected that Ap.   PhaseOne have cloned some of MP into CaptureOne, to the point that it no longer makes any sense to pretend that MP is "integrated into a CaptureOne workflow", and have invested zilch in MP more or less since they bought it.  Oh, I forgot, they did make the GUI uglier. Kudos for that.

I'm waiting to see where Apple is going.  I still find Aperture's DAM tools the best in the market, and the RAW conversion has never really received the praise it deserves. For the cameras I use, I've never found anything better, and I've tried them all. Repeatedly.
--
David Mantripp
Pages: [1]   Go Up