Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Urban landscape  (Read 1094 times)

armand

• Photos
Urban landscape
« on: December 01, 2014, 11:23:18 am »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Urban landscape
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 11:54:49 am »

I like the second one. It has a sense of suburban tranquility, helped by the square composition, almost symmetrical reflections, and classical rule of the thirds. One of rare instances where power lines contribute, not distract, from the scene.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 08:25:01 pm »

I like the second one. It has a sense of suburban tranquility, helped by the square composition, almost symmetrical reflections, and classical rule of the thirds. One of rare instances where power lines contribute, not distract, from the scene.

Powerlines always distract, unless it's the ugly monotony of suburbia! This is not a comment on the photo, but rather on the inexorable onslaught of urbanization.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

armand

• Photos
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 09:07:23 pm »

Initially I found it a little awkward that through that nice gated neighborhood (or at least significantly above average house value) they had the power lines for the entire city.
Then I realized with that the sunset light they all came together in an appealing package (photographically speaking).

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 02:59:48 am »

Unfortunately, the mirrored reflection, as in the first image, has become one of the cliches of photography.  I think this picture is much stronger, and better conveys what I take to be your message, if the reflection is cropped out.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 10:02:10 am »

Unfortunately, the mirrored reflection, as in the first image, has become one of the cliches of photography.  I think this picture is much stronger, and better conveys what I take to be your message, if the reflection is cropped out.

It seems to me that the second photo is not in a class with "Muskrat Love" cliche wise.  I kind of like it. 

Considered more broadly all non light emeting surfaces are reflections and I like the way water does it.  I think that it is good that the light sourses for the reflections are also in the picture.

Bruce

armand

• Photos
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 05:14:21 pm »

Here is the scene shot with a much wider lens, a 27 mm equivalent (the initial samples are with the 56mm F/1.2 on an X-T1, a 85 mm equivalent); I tried cropping part of the water out but it felt something is missing, maybe I should have bitten the bullet and take the entire water out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up