Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900 - Any specific ink slots to avoid? (dual CMYK setup)  (Read 1824 times)

MM1287

Epson 7900 - Any specific ink slots to avoid? (dual CMYK setup)
« on: November 30, 2014, 01:36:28 am »

I'm getting ready to set up this printer using Dye Sublimation CMYK inks and want to make sure I do whatever possible to avoid printing issues. I will be using Wasatch RIP and will specify which slots are using the specific colors.

I came across a post on here a few weeks ago where someone suggested not using specific slots because they're more problematic than the others (I can no longer find the post). He was very specific stating which slots should use which inks. I believe he even said something like "do not use the LLK slot."  I can no longer find that post so I'm hoping someone can give me their opinion because I'm not sure if it matters or not. I will be using distilled water in the empty slots by the way.

The thing I'm wondering is aren't all channels on the printhead created equally? Why would some clog more than others? For example, I keep coming across posts from people mentioning the LLK slot always clogs up, but I always assumed that it may be because it's being used less frequently which results in the clog. If there is truth to certain channels clogging more easily, I just want to make sure I don't use those.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Epson 7900 - Any specific ink slots to avoid? (dual CMYK setup)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 02:24:25 am »

I think the LLK channel is one of the most likely to fail over time, not necessarily clog, partially because it is pretty heavily used.  The LK and LLK inks are the most used in normal printing.

Once you put the dye sub inks in, I think all channels are the same.  (Unless prior use has worn or caused damage)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:22:17 pm by Wayne Fox »

arcman

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 08:45:50 am »

Food for thought...

Years ago, I purchased two x800 printers that were run with dye sub inks.  Both had delaminated heads.  They had sat for some time unused and that may have been a contributing factor, but I thought I would mention it.  I also must mention I had another x800 head (that used only Epson inks) do the same thing that was purged of ink and flushed with distilled water.

If it were me and didn't need 24" for your dye sub projects, I'd consider a smaller cheaper used printer and save the 7900.

MM1287

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 03:45:18 pm »

Thanks for the advice. Believe it or not, I went through 4 Epson printers in 1 year (all were either WF-7010 or WF-7510). I got sick and tired of the problems that they gave me. I found a great deal online for the Epson 7890 ($1745), bought it, and the company ended up telling me they were sold out so they gave me the Epson 7900 at no additional charge. I'm planning on using this printer 6 days a week so hopefully I won't have problems.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 07:51:34 pm »

If you use alternate inks and such, and the machine has delicate print heads, why not consider a make/model with replaceable heads?
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

MM1287

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 06:04:14 pm »

With sublimation ink, it's pretty tough to find a different make other than Epson. I've had so much trouble with Epson printers so I wish it were that easy to get away from them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up