Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: out of nowhere prints are suddenly 2/3rds of a stop too dark (profiled system)  (Read 5204 times)

Simon Garrett

I think we're talking to ourselves; the OP seems to have gone away.  Let's hope he's fixed his problem. 

stevebri

Guys you are all correct

Just to reiterate, I didn't adjust Jacks file, with a fresh monitor profile, and the correct paper profile and colour management turned off on the 7800 his test page came out spot on.

When I say spot on I mean perfect when viewed under a neutral light source and perfect when compared to the image on the monitor.

So that proves that the print end of my workflow is fine and it proves that the fresh monotremes profile is working well.

I then go to print my original 'problem ' image......
.... And it's too dark by 2/3rds of a stop....

I then pick two random fashion images with good skin tones and purples and pinks and they print just fine..
I think my problem file could be wrong so today I will re import the original raw files work them and report back...

I also printed some fine art B&W images on profiled Canson Photographique Baryta roll ( as opposed to sheet) and they came out exactly the same as they did 2 weeks ago before my problem started.

It's not monitor controls or change in ambient light but thanks for the suggestions.

I'll nail it eventually and keep you posted.

As all of you know it's a little unnerving when one or two files don't come out right.... It will come back and bite me sooner rather than later if I don't solve it.

Steve

Tim Lookingbill

Just to reiterate, I didn't adjust Jacks file,...

Steve

Who's Jack? You didn't mention him in your original post.

Are you printing images sourced from other photographers? You've described a scenario that is quite rare where only a few images print 2/3 a stop darker and the rest don't.

What format and from whom are you sourcing these images that print dark?

kirkt

Were you possibly editing the troubled, but apparently isolated, image files with soft proofing enabled in LR and you did not realize it (with some profile or setting in the soft proofing interface selected so as to increase the apparent brightness on-screen)?

kirk

jpegman

Who's Jack? You didn't mention him in your original post.

Are you printing images sourced from other photographers? You've described a scenario that is quite rare where only a few images print 2/3 a stop darker and the rest don't.

What format and from whom are you sourcing these images that print dark?

Who's Jack?  Are you following the thread or just jumping in?

Check out reply's 2 and 4 (hint Jack Flesher Test Print)

Jpegman

Tim Lookingbill

Who's Jack?  Are you following the thread or just jumping in?

Check out reply's 2 and 4 (hint Jack Flesher Test Print)

Jpegman

My bad. I've read the entire thread back several days ago and skimmed through posts that offered test files. I got the impression due to his belated response that he was having trouble with files that were supplied to him by another photographer and thought that maybe they didn't have an embedded color space or were edited by someone who wasn't working in a color managed environment.

But it doesn't really matter now because the OP is having trouble with several of his own images but not the test files. A VERY RARE situation.

stevebri

Hi Guys,

Sorry for leaving this a while, been busy which is nice and havent had time to do much about it....

However.... this past week I created a family christmas card, pumped the image through LR to the printer and it's perfectly fine...!!!!!  It's a Christmas pic so has bright highlights and dark shadows... everything came out spot on....!

Sometimes walking away for a while and coming back 'fresh' is worth it.

Thanks again for everyone's input, I really do appreciate it...

Happy Christmas to everyone on here.

Steve
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up