Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: gardening  (Read 1990 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
gardening
« on: November 29, 2014, 01:41:06 pm »

The nearly 900,000 ceramic poppies, the last placed on 11th November, were being removed. They're probably all gone by now.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 02:19:56 pm by kikashi »

Paul Gessler

Re: gardening
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 05:49:59 pm »

For me (though I'm far from an expert, still learning lots), I think the composition would be better with the "gardener" either in the frame or out of it, not halfway as you've framed it here.
The red channel is significantly blown, causing the "nuclear" colors in the flowers themselves. This is often a difficulty for me when shooting flowers or other heavily saturated colors.

Apart from those two issues, I do like the concept. The three regions of the photo differ in both texture and color, which is nice, and the wheelbarrow adds some valuable interest to the foreground.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 05:51:43 pm »

Very nice, and certainly an unusual subject! I would have the person totally in or totally out of the frame, but perhaps you intended the half-person?

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 06:24:02 pm »

On a related side note about the ceramic poppies ~ AFAIK they were all pre sold and there was a report on the BBC Radio 2 Jeremy Vine show that some had been delivered to the recipients broken, sadly it seems because they are/were inadequately cushioned in the box, not marked 'Fragile' and some of the courier company drivers shown on in one case CCTV as being oh so cavalier with their method of 'delivery', even though he lobbed it 7 metres it did survive...............more by luck than judgement!

A great pity for those that chose to buy one as their way of recognising the sacrifice of so many UK & Commonwealth Service Men who died in the Great War and then to get it in a damaged condition.

Oh, as for the image.......I would have preferred to see the 'gardener' in the frame or indeed even shown picking them.
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 07:11:07 pm »

I would prefer to omit the gardener entirely. With the wheelbarrow there, he is unnecessary, IMHO.

Fine shot, Jeremy.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 12:52:25 pm »

For me (though I'm far from an expert, still learning lots), I think the composition would be better with the "gardener" either in the frame or out of it, not halfway as you've framed it here.
The red channel is significantly blown, causing the "nuclear" colors in the flowers themselves. This is often a difficulty for me when shooting flowers or other heavily saturated colors.

Apart from those two issues, I do like the concept. The three regions of the photo differ in both texture and color, which is nice, and the wheelbarrow adds some valuable interest to the foreground.

Thanks. The red channel isn't actually blown, as you can see from the histogram below, but I can see why you thought it might be.

I'd deliberately halved the "gardener", aiming for a bit of Russ's ambiguity, but that may well have been a bad decision.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:20:55 pm by kikashi »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 01:15:43 pm »

... I'd deliberately halved the "gardener", aiming for a bit of Russ's ambiguity...

You mean it is ambiguous how the back side of the gardener looks like?  ;)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 01:19:40 pm »

You mean it is ambiguous how the back side of the gardener looks like?  ;)

No, that's a known unknown: nothing ambiguous about that.

I've never understood what Russ means by the term but I thought if I used the word, I might magically acquire an understanding of the concept.  ;) Thus far, it's not working.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:21:29 pm by kikashi »

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 01:34:48 pm »

I've never understood what Russ means by the term but I thought if I used the word, I might magically acquire an understanding of the concept.  ;) Thus far, it's not working.

Jeremy
One of the funniest comments I've seen posted here! BTW, gardner out for me although frankly  :-[ I did not notice him until I saw the comments. My eyes were drawn to the wheelbarrow. I love the concept.

Paul Gessler

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 01:57:41 pm »

Thanks. The red channel isn't actually blown, as you can see from the histogram below, but I can see why you thought it might be.

Hmm, I think there must have been some color space conversion in the export then, because I see the attached histogram when viewing the actual image you posted. The original probably looks fine on your system.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 03:41:38 pm »

Are you saying that Russ's discussion of ambiguity is somewhat ambiguous?   ;D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 03:59:36 pm »

For the visual definition of ambiguity in a photograph check HCB's "Behind the Gare St. Lazare." A cut off guy isn't ambiguous. He's cut off.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 06:10:37 pm »

Hmm, I think there must have been some color space conversion in the export then...

Typically from LR's version of ProPhoto to sRGB (for web).

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 03:43:15 am »

Typically from LR's version of ProPhoto to sRGB (for web).

Ah, yes.

Jeremy

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 03:44:25 am »

Are you saying that Russ's discussion of ambiguity is somewhat ambiguous?   ;D

Something like that: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=95596.msg399526;topicseen#new.

Jeremy

seamus finn

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 06:49:49 am »

I would prefer to omit the gardener entirely. With the wheelbarrow there, he is unnecessary, IMHO.

Fine shot, Jeremy.

I agree with Eric.

Isaac

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 06:15:02 pm »

Cartier-Bresson's photographs often depict a situation that is unresolved.

The photographs show something in the process of happening, rather than something that has finished happening. We may be able to anticipate what will happen next but that isn't shown by the photograph.

There are too many ways in which photographs can be ambiguous, for ambiguous to be a helpful label on mid-stride moments between completed actions. "Ambiguous" doesn't take us further than -- No picture should need a caption; every picture must have a caption.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 06:18:30 pm by Isaac »
Pages: [1]   Go Up