Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson R2400 using premium luster paper  (Read 5469 times)

scubarob639

Epson R2400 using premium luster paper
« on: December 15, 2005, 08:40:04 pm »

When I look at a pic printed on premium luster paper, small areas which are bright sunshine receive no ink, or appear that way( less sheen then the rest of the print).  You can see it clearly if looking at the print from an angle under direct light. Is this normal?  

Rob

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 09:11:17 pm »

Yes, normal - often referred to as "gloss differential".  Unlike the 1800 the 2400 doesn't have a gloss optimizer.  As you suggest though, you have to go out of your way to notice it.

scubarob639

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 09:25:31 pm »

Yes, normal - often referred to as "gloss differential".  Unlike the 1800 the 2400 doesn't have a gloss optimizer.  As you suggest though, you have to go out of your way to notice it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=53669\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

scubarob639

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 09:27:07 pm »

Yes, normal - often referred to as "gloss differential".  Unlike the 1800 the 2400 doesn't have a gloss optimizer.  As you suggest though, you have to go out of your way to notice it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=53669\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Tim,  Thanks for the quick reply.

Rob

KenS

• Spark of Light Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 11:44:16 am »

When I look at a pic printed on premium luster paper, small areas which are bright sunshine receive no ink, or appear that way( less sheen then the rest of the print).  You can see it clearly if looking at the print from an angle under direct light. Is this normal? 

Rob
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=53665\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Rob,
You may want to try Premier Art Print Shield (spray lacquer).  I am experimenting with it on prints from my Epson 7800 on Pictorico High Gloss Film, Red River Ultra Pro Gloss, InkjetArt MicroCeramic Luster, and Kodak Pro Glossy.  In all cases gloss differential is significantly reduced (perhaps even eliminiated).  I've done a few more tests on the Kodak Pro Glossy paper and so far it appears to not only eliminate GD but also produce a considerable increase in surface shine on this paper.  On the Pictorico it does not change the surface  shine or texture much at all (already very smooth and shiny) but again reduces gloss differential quite a bit.

In these tests I lay down one wet heavy coat of spray  from about 8 inches , it will look shiny wet and perhaps a bit uneven in glancing light, but seems to dry evenly i.e. no blotches so far.  This application is different from the instructions on the can which say to create light (almost a mist) spray... I find this misting technique produces a slight grittiness to the surface of glossy papers that I do not like.

My experiments on luster papers (e.g. Microceramic luster) so far indicate that this is very compatable/easy to use with Print Shield.  The luster surface readily masks any spraying imperfections and gloss differential is greatly reduced.  For the luster papers the technique I used so far was the one suggested on the can, light misting spray from about 12 inches,  two applications.

I'm currently trying to decide between printing color images on Pictorico Film or Kodak Pro Glossy (or maybe IJA Microceramic Luster) w/application of Print Shield.  For B/W I'm leading towards Kodak Pro Glossy.

I believe ITsupplies (www.itsupplies.com)  has very good prices on this product.
Good luck,
Ken

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 12:10:33 pm »

When I look at a pic printed on premium luster paper, small areas which are bright sunshine receive no ink, or appear that way( less sheen then the rest of the print).  You can see it clearly if looking at the print from an angle under direct light. Is this normal? 

Rob
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=53665\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can set your highlight point to about 252 or so and eliminate that GD effect for the most part with the new K3 inks.  With the older UC inks you needed to drop highlights to about 242 to eliminate the GD...
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/
Pages: [1]   Go Up