Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Samsung NX1--My early impressions  (Read 1825 times)

jeffreybehr

• Happily retired accountant
Samsung NX1--My early impressions
« on: November 28, 2014, 12:56:50 pm »

Received my NX1/16-50/S kit Wednesday nite. Fooled with the camera, charging cables, etc. Shot some stuff this afternoon. The camera seems quite easy to use and responsive. I was concerned that it wouldn't be big enough for my 3 fingers, but it barely is, and I have quite-normal-sized hands. This will be a '2-finger' camera for those with large hands. BUT...since I bought the kit with battery grip, I installed that. WOW what a difference--the camera now feels EXCELLENT, as in JUST right-sized, and it's still 13-1/2 ounces lighter than my Sony a99/24-70 kit.

[That Canon handstrap has been installed on maybe a half-dozen cameras.  :-)  ]

First, understand that I was plenty happy with the resolution of the Sony a99/Zony-lenses system, even with its 24MP following the 36 of the clunky Sony a7R (that I sold). Got the NX1 and a99 out today on this beautiful day of Thanksgiving. The weather in Phoenix was typical of why we desertrats live here--warm and sunny. Each camera wore its premium mid-zoom lens, premium (Marumi) protection filter, shade, F8, IS on, all handheld, Raw.

Conclusions without boring examples--
1. The NX1 w/BG is still easier handling than the plenty-OK-handling a99.
2. The NX1's superior resolution is visible at 100%.
3. Colors were almost indistinguishable, with the a99's slightly warmer (due to Zeiss lens?). But those images were always darker, sometimes significantly, even with 'identical' exposures. I'm guessing the darkening is due to the a99's pellicle mirror that's always in the light path.
4. I'm still learning about Photoshop's lens-correction-filter function, but Photoshop indicates there that the NX1's default lens corrections have been applied in-camera in the Raw image.  But in some images there still is noticeable CA. Most of that is easily correctable by the PS filter--brand-new to me--and the resulting images, at 100% and smaller, look even better--smoother (less edgy) and NO less resolved.
5. With the BG, this camera is REALLY comfortable...better than the plenty-comfortable Sony a99 and MUCH better than the Sony a7R, with or without BG, which was so clunky I sold it.

I'm happy and will be buying a few more lenses--first the Samyang all-manual 12mm ($300 thru eBay) and then the inexpensive ($200 - $270) 50-200/4-5.6. If that telezoom is not good enough--and I'm not too fussy about long lenses, as in seldom being willing to pay for the expensive, heavy versions*--I'll buy the new, premium 50-150/2.8/S.

This NX1 is definitely a keeper.

* The long lens of my Sony a99 system is the Sony 70-300/4.5-5.6/G.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 07:07:45 pm by jeffreybehr »

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
Re: Samsung NX1--My early impressions
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 09:59:48 pm »

So far It seems the NX1 is up to the expectations.
Congrats on your new camera.
Eduardo

XE11

Re: Samsung NX1--My early impressions
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 06:49:39 am »

early samples/reviews do look rather good. certainly better than what i thought. but the default sharpening seems quite aggresive.

now i can only imagine what BSI technology can do to FF sensors at 50MP.  :o
Pages: [1]   Go Up