Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange image corruption in some photos  (Read 1291 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Strange image corruption in some photos
« on: November 28, 2014, 06:10:55 am »

My wife uses a Nikon CoolPix L820 and she is seeing an odd artifact in some of her photos (JPEGs). A horizontal strip of the image will be shifted to one side so that elements in the image do not line up properly. In the screen shot below, the two points "A" should line up as should the two points "B" - the lower strip has shifted to the left and "wrapped around" to the right. Also, in some cases a horizontal strip will just be blank, as at the bottom of this photo. This happens rarely, 99% of her photos are fine. Any idea what causes this, or how to fix it (other than laborious cut and paste in Photoshop)?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Strange image corruption in some photos
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 08:41:23 am »

Any idea what causes this, or how to fix it (other than laborious cut and paste in Photoshop)?

Hi Peter,

Some electronic glitch in the firmware routines that write to card?  Is the camera firmware up to date?

The Photoshop fix is not all that laborious though, make a rectangular selection of the bottom offset portion, and use the Offset filter (Filter>Other>Offset...) with wrap-around.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 06:02:03 am »

I would try using another memory card, preferably from a different manufacturer.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 06:09:54 pm »

I've had this issue and worse…always seems to be a card issue and sometimes happens when they get filled to the brim.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up