Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sanjusangendo temple, Kyoto, Japan  (Read 660 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Sanjusangendo temple, Kyoto, Japan
« on: November 27, 2014, 07:56:12 pm »

We were not allowed to take photos inside, a shame given the amazing statuary. But, this very old building presents many interesting vistas from the outside. The woman passing by was one of those fortuitous events that the gods of photography occasionally bless us with. Olympus E-M1 with 12-60mm lens.

seamus finn

Re: Sanjusangendo temple, Kyoto, Japan
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 02:24:17 pm »

Peter,

I think it would be better if you straightened your verticals in PS or somewhere. It all looks too casual. I also have a thing about figures walking out of pictures rather than into them.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 03:22:14 pm »

Hi Peter, I have the same "thing" Seamus has about people walking out of a picture. Nothing inherently wrong with a person walking out, but there has to be a reason and the reason has to be in the picture.

p.s. That's the strangest looking Japanese girl I've ever seen. She doesn't really belong next to that temple.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

PeterAit

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 07:31:06 pm »

Thanks for your comments. I am going to try correcting the verticals and see how it looks, as soon as I can figure out how to do it in Photoshop (the Lightroom correction tool does not cut the mustard for this image). As for the girl, I am not bothered by her walking out of the image, and in fact it may add a touch of mystery to things. While she may not look traditionally Japanese (and she may not actually be Japanese), it's common for women in Japan to dye their hair to get away from the all-too-common black look. And, the warmth of the hair connects to the warm tones of the wood, I think.

PeterAit

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 07:43:13 am »

Here's the image with verticals corrected. I agree, it's an improvement over the original.

Pages: [1]   Go Up