Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting interview Sigma's owner on Imaging Resource  (Read 1462 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Interesting interview Sigma's owner on Imaging Resource
« on: November 27, 2014, 04:58:52 pm »

Erik Kaffehr

MoreOrLess

Re: Interesting interview Sigma's owner on Imaging Resource
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 12:25:32 am »

I could certainly see the appeal of a 1 inch multi layers sensor as a holiday landscape camera. Personally the key thing I would suggest to Sigma would be to include stabilisation in their fixed lens cameras, offering a very small high quality option is obviously held back by the need to use a tripod in a lot of situations where you could shoot a stabilised camera hand held at base ISO.

I wonder if Sigma or other companies would be open to the idea of just manufacturing the sensor? Canon and Sony seem to like to keep everything in house but a FF multi layer sensor in say a Nikon FF DSLR aimed at low ISO use seems like it could have some appeal and help get production levels high enough to keep the price down a bit.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 08:28:51 am »

Erik, thank you for the link- very informative interview - made me interested in the 70mm Macro... very nice lens also according to Photozone...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 09:09:17 am »

Don't worry, Foveon-type sensors will arrive in due course, they're the obvious way to increase camera resolution while keeping an existing lens range.

Edmund

I wonder if Sigma or other companies would be open to the idea of just manufacturing the sensor? Canon and Sony seem to like to keep everything in house but a FF multi layer sensor in say a Nikon FF DSLR aimed at low ISO use seems like it could have some appeal and help get production levels high enough to keep the price down a bit.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 05:04:40 pm »

Hi,

I still think that Foveon is a bit problematic, as it lacks colour filters. The differentiation between channels is based diffusion depth, so I would suggest that colour reproduction and separation is more complex than using bayer type designs.

There may be other non bayer technologies around, there are some patents in that area and Sony introduced a CMOS chip doing multiple exposures at very high frequency with the sensor shifted between exposures. But that device is intended for phone cams.

For me, the rewarding part of the article about Sigma was not the Foveon, by the way, but the discussion about the lens programme and the production capability.

Best regards
Erik

Don't worry, Foveon-type sensors will arrive in due course, they're the obvious way to increase camera resolution while keeping an existing lens range.

Edmund

Erik Kaffehr

SZRitter

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 05:20:56 pm »

I thought that new Sony chip was already destined for regular cameras. My understanding was the phone first, then if it works as well as they hope, it moves on up to other cameras. Say in/around 2016.
Pages: [1]   Go Up