Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Start of a new adventure with an H3D  (Read 3636 times)

snowy151

Start of a new adventure with an H3D
« on: November 25, 2014, 09:19:51 am »

My new (to me) H3D-39 arrived this morning :)

Up to now my only experience with Hasselblad is film based, and while I've used plenty of smaller format digitals up to "full-frame" 35mm, this is my first medium format digital.  First off, it didn't come with a manual (paper or CD), but it looks like the Hasselblad website has that covered, along with downloads for Phocus.  Is there anything else I need, or can I treat it like any other big (heavy!) DSLR and just shoot away?

Chris Livsey

Re: Start of a new adventure with an H3D
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 12:01:54 pm »

Having recently started to use a H1 (film) my advice would be to study the sections on the profiles and tailor what you think you want to shoot with and change to taste as you go along. Keep a record of what you set or set a second profile, you have more "slots" than the H1, they are very useful for shooting under different conditions and substantially affect the way the camera works and how it handles, eg button function allocation. Don't just go with defaults and work around them it is so configurable the time is well spent learning what it can do.
The digital bit I leave to others, although I'm looking at a H3DII31, they are all coming into affordable territory now.

NickT

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 05:16:47 pm »

Be sure to set the focus to manual then the user button to AF drive. Press the user button to focus  then recompose shoot.

Theodoros

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 06:04:24 pm »

My new (to me) H3D-39 arrived this morning :)

Up to now my only experience with Hasselblad is film based, and while I've used plenty of smaller format digitals up to "full-frame" 35mm, this is my first medium format digital.  First off, it didn't come with a manual (paper or CD), but it looks like the Hasselblad website has that covered, along with downloads for Phocus.  Is there anything else I need, or can I treat it like any other big (heavy!) DSLR and just shoot away?

Congratulations on your purchase... I'm sure you'll be amazed with the results...
My advises, have only to do with your MF future... remember that MF digital is not like MF film days... Hasselblad has decided to "close" the system back in the H3 days which both created the financial problems the company now has, as well as means that you essentially got a S/H DSLR that you can't upgrade on either its back or its body... It has no (official) service support either...
So, IMO you should be careful in investing to expand the system... This (of course) doesn't change the fact that you now own one of the best image makers ever made... Would you like to share the price you bought it for, so that one can see the effects Hasselblad's policy has had on their own (not you- the previous owner(s)) customers? ...Was it as much as two Contax 645 bodies (without any MFDB included on the Contax) and only one lens?

Joe Towner

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 07:36:17 pm »

Congrats to you and my apologies to your bank account and significant other :)  There is no better way than to jump in head first - take it with you everywhere, even if you only have the kit 80 (which is a damn fine lens).  Might I ask what other digital gear you used before, and what lenses you have to start with?  Resources you should know about start with LuLa - there is a lot of knowledge and experience, with a side of sarcasm and venting. 

http://Http://borrowlenses.com rents HC/HCD lenses within the USA if you don't have a local option.    Check your battery life, as that was the biggest issue I had when I started (granted I got the H4D with 3 batteries included) - the H5 batteries last 2x as long and may work for your body (check with dealer).  The two accessories I have purchased and love are the 13mm extension tube, and the 1.7x tele adapter.  I also have the waist level viewfinder, but haven't used it much due to the light meter being in the prism view finder, along with the standard hot shoe for strobes.

Shoot a lot, and try shooting with strobes at 1/500th, or faster depending on the trigger and strobe.  Enjoy it, remember that a quick search on LuLa seems to find answers to most questions.  The good thing about your setup is that it has been out a while, and everything you're thinking of doing has technically already been done.

Happy shooting
-Joe
t: @PNWMF

jerome_m

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 02:07:25 am »

If you have an H3D-39 (poor and tiny back screen ) and not an H3DII-39 (larger back screen), you can still use a film back. They are relatively inexpensive used now, but that may change in near future.

snowy151

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 05:18:25 am »

Thanks to all for the helpful responses so far - much appreciated :)

To answer a few questions, and to provide a bit of extra background, I would start by saying I'm based in the UK so that in itself seems to limit my options for hiring lenses or finding accessories at reasonable prices!  I got the camera from a UK dealer for what I would consider a good price, but in the knowledge that this was in part due to the fact it's no longer repariable by Hasselblad if anything were to go wrong.  I'm "only" an amateur so I won't be deriving my income from it...

It is the H3D-39 not the H3DII so I believe that means I can use a film back with it - is that correct?  Not sure at this point if I want to bother with film but if the option's available it might be useful later.
It came with the 80mm lens and I expect to stick with just that for now.  If I add anything, the suggestion of an extension tube and the 1.7x converter seems like a very good idea without layout down too much more money!  Fortunately my wife is very understanding, but I don't want to push my luck :)

Previous digital gear has been mostly Canon, although recently I've "downsized" to Fuji X, and m4/3rds systems.  Ironically I was finding the Canon 5Dii and a bag of lenses too heavy to lug around, but as long as I stick with only one lens this H3D will actually be lighter and smaller :)  With a bag full of lenses I often found I would gravitate towards a 50mm in 35mm terms, so the 80 on the Hasselblad should do fine.

The one accessory I do need soon is another battery.  The camera came with one LiIon, which acccording to the paperwork appears to have been bought new at the beginning of 2014, so it should have plenty of life in it, but a backup is probably essential.    Does anyone use the 3xCR123 battery grip as a backup?  I assume that would be cheaper than a LiIon?

Anyway, enough rambling on.  Sadly I can't use it during the day as work takes priority over my time, and it's dark by the time I get home so I probably won't get to play in earnest until the weekend.  But it will go with me everywhere at that point so I can get to know it :)

jerome_m

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 05:39:23 am »

I would start by saying I'm based in the UK so that in itself seems to limit my options for hiring lenses or finding accessories at reasonable prices!

Check Ebay Germany.

It is the H3D-39 not the H3DII so I believe that means I can use a film back with it - is that correct?

Look at the top of your camera. You have three buttons above the little LCD.

If they say "flash - AF - drive", you have an H3D and can use a film back.
If they say "flash - AF - iso/wb", you have an H3D-II and cannot use a film back.

The one accessory I do need soon is another battery.  The camera came with one LiIon, which acccording to the paperwork appears to have been bought new at the beginning of 2014, so it should have plenty of life in it, but a backup is probably essential.    Does anyone use the 3xCR123 battery grip as a backup?

I don't think that the digital back can be used with the 3xCR123 grip. If it works it will empty your CR123 cells very fast and these are not exactly cheap. A second grip is a much better option.

snowy151

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 07:07:22 am »

Look at the top of your camera. You have three buttons above the little LCD.

If they say "flash - AF - drive", you have an H3D and can use a film back.
If they say "flash - AF - iso/wb", you have an H3D-II and cannot use a film back.

I don't think that the digital back can be used with the 3xCR123 grip. If it works it will empty your CR123 cells very fast and these are not exactly cheap. A second grip is a much better option.
OK, mine says "flash - AF - drive" so it's the H3D as expected.  Apparently the IR filter has been "coverted" by Hasselblad to bring it in line with the H3D-II - what does that actually mean?

I wondered about the 3xCR123 grip, so it sounds like that's for emergency use only!  I'll look out for a spare LiIon grip instead.

jerome_m

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 07:54:05 am »

Apparently the IR filter has been "coverted" by Hasselblad to bring it in line with the H3D-II - what does that actually mean?

Probably that it developed fungus at some point. It is not a big deal.

Chris Livsey

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 01:50:29 pm »

the H5 batteries last 2x as long and may work for your body (check with dealer). 
-Joe

The H5 batteries will work with all the bodies, back to my H1, IF the current latest software is installed.

BTW the charger is different, although I understand the "old" one can be used but will take a light year or so to charge.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 04:40:28 pm »

Congratulations. I have the H3DII-31 and it is brilliant. Leaves my Canon 5D2 (no slouch) for dead in IQ. If you can drive somewhere it's the camera of choice now. I use the Canon for shots where I need tilt shift as the Blad HTS adapter is still a long way away, but will be attaching the back to a Linhof view camera or Cambo. I have a few rechargeable batteries from past Blads but also use the CR123 as my reserve. All the manuals are on the Blad site.

I use Phocus to convert the 3FR files to FFF and then I use Aperture. The jury is still out on any replacement. Enjoy.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

snowy151

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 05:36:18 pm »

On the subject of using the back with a view camera, I assume that means you have to tether the back to a laptop to power it?  Are the adapters easy to get hold of for a 4x5 back?  It would be nice if it could also be adapted to fit my Hassy SWC but I guess that's asking too much :)

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2014, 10:16:34 pm »

Adapters are easy to get on ebay. Plenty of different types. Power it from the MBP.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

soren

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 02:18:29 pm »

If you are looking for extra batteries I might be able to help you. I have 4 of them + the 3xCR123 grip and charger. Not using them anymore as I use the cmos version now. Send me a note if interested, I do live in Sweden so there will be an extra shipping cost but this batteries are not heavy.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 04:38:23 pm »

Probably that it developed fungus at some point. It is not a big deal.

Actually this could be important - there was an improvement in the IR Filters that reduced ghosting effects from point light sources. At any rate, the fact a replacement IR has been installed is generally positive, regardless of why.

Also, if you buy used lithium grips, don't pay much for them. It's hard to quantify the remaining life, and you don't know how it began it's life (which can impact the usefulness of it long term). The pluses for buying a new grip is that you can start it out properly (it is recommended to charge it for 24 hours before use) and also the new grips are 2900mAh, while the older grips are 1850mAh.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 11:05:06 am by Steve Hendrix »
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

snowy151

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 07:06:59 pm »

Actually this could be important - there was an improvement in the IR Filters that reduced ghosting effects from point light sources. At any rate, the fact a replacement IR has been installed is generally positive, regardless of why.

Also, if you buy used lithium grips, don't pay much for them. It's hard to quantify the remaining life, and you don't know how it began it's life (which can impact the usefulness of it long term). The pluses for buying a new grip is that you can start it out properly (it is recommended to charge it for 24 hours before use) and also the new grips are 2900mAh, while the older grips are 1850mAh.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Thanks for the tips. The paperwork that came with it suggests that the grip was bought new earlier this year and it seems to last very well, so looks to be a good one.  I've seen some scruffy used ones around (ebay mostly) that don't look very good, so I'll avoid that option!

Haven't had as much time to play as I'd have liked, but I'm getting used to how it works and have got some good results out of it so far.  I've tried both hand-held and tripod mounted using mirror pre-fire and it's clearly happier on the tripod, but I intend to presevere with both as a tripod doesn't al ays fit my way of working.
The files are very big!  235Mb tiffs after coverting the raws in Phocus, but my mac seems to be coping :)

soren

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 11:07:12 pm »

Well this batteries work very well, I did not have any problems with them. I could send them and you try them out before purchase so no worries, just trying to help you out.

Regards
Soren
Pages: [1]   Go Up