Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why I don't join the CreativeCloud?  (Read 9256 times)

Simon Garrett

Re: Why I don't join the CreativeCloud?
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2014, 07:39:01 am »

For me the cost of Photoshop CC is no more than I used to spend on Lightroom (I've always updated every release) and Photoshop (I used to upgrade every 2 or 3 releases, when you could do that).  

I don't realy like renting software, and I don't much like Adobe - who, as is often the case with mature-to-old companies (> 30 years old) are not very responsive to customers.  But I'm not going to let that get in the way of rational self-interest, which is (for me) that CC is a reasonable choice.  
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 07:50:20 am by Simon Garrett »

Manoli

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2014, 07:46:12 am »

... in fact most advanced photographers don't need Photoshop, they're just used to it.

+1
There's a lot of truth to that.  Armed with Lr and/or the C1 V8, all the majority really need is a 'layers for Lightroom' program of which there are several alternatives, most of which seem to improve with each new release.

A seldom mentioned advantage of CC though is that you can upload your settings, and it's easy to activate /deactivate installations remotely across multiple computers in different locations. Not something you can do with C1. But I agree, few users would really need that.

Manoli

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2014, 07:49:35 am »

But I'm not going to let that get in the way of rational self-interest, which is that (for me) that CC is a reasonable choice. 

And that's why CC survived and will continue to survive the initial outcry, just as long it remains ' a reasonable cost-effective choice'

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2014, 08:16:10 am »

A seldom mentioned advantage of CC though is that you can upload your settings, and it's easy to activate /deactivate installations remotely across multiple computers in different locations. Not something you can do with C1.

Hi,

Not sure about the differences (I don't use CC), but C1 is pretty easy to deactivate and reactivate on-line.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Manoli

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2014, 08:32:41 am »

Not sure about the differences (I don't use CC), but C1 is pretty easy to deactivate and reactivate on-line.

Hi Bart,

Yes, but not remotely as in 'I forgot to deactivate my other computer' when you may be on location or travelling. And, yes, I do know that a licence allows for two installations - as I said, few users would need that.

With CC, wherever you are, whatever machine you have access to, download the program, download your settings and you're 'good to go'.

Best,
M

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2014, 08:50:50 am »

Yes, but not remotely as in 'I forgot to deactivate my other computer' when you may be on location or travelling. And, yes, I do know that a licence allows for two installations - as I said, few users would need that.

Ah, I see, remotely deactivate on another computer. Sounds dangerous though ...

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2014, 01:00:08 am »

What do you want to spend your money on ? ...
Spend the money on something more useful; more/better lenses, accessories or even just funding trips to interesting places to photograph.

Beginners just don't need Photoshop, in fact most advanced photographers don't need Photoshop, they're just used to it.

+1 one more
Totally agree. 

I also hate greedy companies that have already made their millions, and then on top of it wanting to lock me into a a RENTAL program that limits my usage. We already rent the phone line for communication. We rent cable lines or satelite feeds for "News/BS" and entertainment. The financial system has already designed obsolesence of cars to less than 10 years, and many people lease. What else are we going to rent? How much resources do we have to use up recycle, and abuse before we realize its meaningless.

You can say "Its only x$" a week, or month all you want. For me its bad for our future, and its bad business.
If you want to help it, you need help. If you don't like it you should be proactive.(although not much activity is required, just don't CC)
I use CS5 with no need to upgrade, although I probably will regardless(to CS6).
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2014, 05:55:50 am »

OK - because I have an artistic temperament (like, hopefully, most photographers), I have a tendency to respond to what is written in chatrooms like this by replying at an emotional level rather than in a more aridly phlegmatic manner.

Instead of saying:

However, for anyone starting photo-processing from scratch (as many new members of our camera club are), then Adobe CC at £8.98 per month is really the only sane option and I heartily recommend it to them.

it might have engendered less hostility if I had phrased it as:

"However, for anyone starting photo-processing from scratch (as many new members of our camera club are), then Adobe CC at £8.98 per month is an option which makes a lot of sense and I heartily recommend it to them."

I really should not cast doubts upon the sanity of anyone who disagrees. Apologies for any offence caused.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2014, 11:31:59 am »

+1 one more
Totally agree. 

I also hate greedy companies that have already made their millions, and then on top of it wanting to lock me into a a RENTAL program that limits my usage. We already rent the phone line for communication. We rent cable lines or satelite feeds for "News/BS" and entertainment. The financial system has already designed obsolesence of cars to less than 10 years, and many people lease. What else are we going to rent? How much resources do we have to use up recycle, and abuse before we realize its meaningless.

You can say "Its only x$" a week, or month all you want. For me its bad for our future, and its bad business.
If you want to help it, you need help. If you don't like it you should be proactive.(although not much activity is required, just don't CC)
I use CS5 with no need to upgrade, although I probably will regardless(to CS6).

you shall be happy that you do not pay per processed bytes in PS... like with some cell plans you pay per data transferred... but I am sure that will come, want to click some menu item in PS ? $0.01 per 1000 clicks  ;D

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2014, 11:33:30 am »

A seldom mentioned advantage of CC though is that you can upload your settings, and it's easy to activate /deactivate installations remotely across multiple computers in different locations. Not something you can do with C1. But I agree, few users would really need that.
that can as well be done w/ perpetual license... the code, you see, is not in the cloud, it is on your computer
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up