Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fujifilm X-T1 back button focus  (Read 4289 times)

rdonson

Fujifilm X-T1 back button focus
« on: November 24, 2014, 10:36:26 am »

I'd find back button focusing quite useful if I could figure out how to get the X-T1 to do it. 

- AF-L just locks the focus.
- Continuous Focus with AF-L just brings up focus peaking (not what I'm after)

I'd like to have back button focusing like I have on my Canon DSLRs.  This uncouples the shutter release from AF and shutter and enables focusing through the use of a back button.  Has anyone figured out how to accomplish this on the X-T1?
Regards,
Ron

armand

• Photos
Re: Fujifilm X-T1 back button focus
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 10:43:16 am »

Switch to manual focus on the camera only.

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 05:51:31 pm »

Switch to manual focus on the camera only.

That seems counterproductive you're shooting things that move.
Regards,
Ron

armand

• Photos
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 11:13:53 pm »

If you switch to manual focus on the camera the AF-L button will behave like AF-C if you press it and the shutter button will only start the exposure (very similar to the behavior in DSLR)

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 11:38:08 am »

If you switch to manual focus on the camera the AF-L button will behave like AF-C if you press it and the shutter button will only start the exposure (very similar to the behavior in DSLR)

Thanks for the explanation, Armand.  I appreciate it.  The focus peaking display may take some getting used to though. 
Regards,
Ron

armand

• Photos
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 01:11:20 pm »

You're welcome.
Do you mean the automatic enlargement that comes with pressing the AF-L button? I think you can deactivate it or make the enlargement smaller (3 vs 10 or something like this). If you keep it at the max it's difficult to follow your subject if it's not stationary.

With new firmware coming this Dec where they will introduce M+A focus (basically manual focus override when in autofocus) things might change.

PS. It's funny I had to get the D750 to appreciate the X-T1 and Fuji system in general even more
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 01:19:20 pm by armand »

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 09:35:45 pm »

Armand, I've only had my X-T1 since October so I'm still getting used to it although I think I'm producing some nice results.  I added the X-T1 to my kit because I was tired of using my Canon 7D as a walkaround camera.  I've been delighted with the X-T1 especially after discovering the article by Pete Bridgwood.  Its images are FAR superior to the 7D in image quality although the cameras are designed for two completely different purposes.  

« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 09:39:26 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up