Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for noise reduction tool with advanced settings  (Read 2544 times)

marimagen

Looking for noise reduction tool with advanced settings
« on: November 24, 2014, 09:18:15 am »

I normally use the ACR noise reduction tool or Colormancer to deal with minor noise issues. But I now have to handle a few shots with a strong contrast between shadows and lighted areas. The correction I apply to improve the darker tones is too strong for the highlights: I get a "plastic" unnatural look. Is there a noise reduction tool which can discriminate between dark/light areas?
Thanks in advance for your answers,
Marie

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Looking for noise reduction tool with advanced settings
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 09:36:53 am »

Open the photo in Photoshop. Try demo versions of Topaz DeNoise, Neat Image, Noiseware, etc. to see which you like best; all are good. The mot  controlled way I know of is to isolate areas of different tonality is to make layers holding approximate selections of each area of interest and apply the noise reduction to the active layer.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Stefan Ohlsson

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 10:46:10 am »

I normally use the ACR noise reduction tool or Colormancer to deal with minor noise issues. But I now have to handle a few shots with a strong contrast between shadows and lighted areas. The correction I apply to improve the darker tones is too strong for the highlights: I get a "plastic" unnatural look. Is there a noise reduction tool which can discriminate between dark/light areas?
Thanks in advance for your answers,
Marie

Easy. Make a new layer of the image, apply the filter so that the shadow area doesn't show noise. Apply a Blend if, so that the noise layer gets a transparency in the highlight areas. (Layer > Layer Style > Blending options). If you want even closer control, do an edge mask to protect areas with lots of details.

IliasG

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 02:48:05 pm »

With Rawtherapee you have the luminocity curve to set the amount of denoising adapted to luminance levels .. :)

http://50.87.144.65/~rt/w/index.php?title=Noise_Reduction

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 02:56:00 pm »

Noise ware includes those controls and others, I've rarely had to build masks and separate layers for it

marimagen

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 07:08:00 am »

Thanks to all of you for your input! It was realy frustrating getting that plastic look. Marie

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 05:43:23 pm »

Topaz is now offering their entire collection of 15 filters including the Denoise plugin at a substantial discount.
More information at My blogsite

I have both Nik Dfine and Topaz Denoise plugins, and find that Denoise retains more details than Dfine.
As Mark and Stefan note, if you apply strong noise reduction, sometimes it's worthwhile to run the noise reduction on a separate layer and then selectively erase/mask noise reduction effects from specific image portions.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 06:28:04 pm by LesPalenik »

marimagen

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 02:38:32 pm »

Thanks. I used the Topaz denoise trial and it worked just fine. The other methods were good enough on urban landscapes and such, but were trickier to use on skin tones and people. Marie
Pages: [1]   Go Up