Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good entry level graphics display  (Read 8604 times)

M+D

Good entry level graphics display
« on: November 22, 2014, 11:25:57 pm »

I am interested in upgrading my display and my main priorities are uniformity and color consistency.  While I would love to go all in for a state of the art display, the budget is simply not there right now.  My plan is to purchase a smaller display (23 or 24”) in order to get the quality I want and stay within budget.
I am looking to spend between $400-700 US.

Right now I am trying to decide between:

NEC P232W-BK
or
Eizo EV2436W with EasyPIX color matching

I will be calibrating with a Spyder Elite 4 and will be using the display for still photography (primarily beauty and swimwear photos)

Does anyone have any experience with these models or perhaps some other suggestions that I have not considered yet? Thanks in advance for the advice.

deejjjaaaa

Re: Good entry level graphics display
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 01:43:02 am »

I am interested in upgrading my display and my main priorities are uniformity and color consistency.  While I would love to go all in for a state of the art display, the budget is simply not there right now.  My plan is to purchase a smaller display (23 or 24”) in order to get the quality I want and stay within budget.
I am looking to spend between $400-700 US.

Right now I am trying to decide between:

NEC P232W-BK
or
Eizo EV2436W with EasyPIX color matching

I will be calibrating with a Spyder Elite 4 and will be using the display for still photography (primarily beauty and swimwear photos)

Does anyone have any experience with these models or perhaps some other suggestions that I have not considered yet? Thanks in advance for the advice.

just $50 move over your numbers will buy you NEC P242W-BK

M+D

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 03:17:45 am »

Thanks deejjjaaaa.  Very tempting...but I am trying to stick to the budget for a change :)

D Fosse

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 06:47:11 am »

Don't use the Spyder, it works on the video card instead of talking to the monitor itself, which is vastly superior for a number of reasons. Both those models can be hardware calibrated with dedicated software, and that's something you should take advantage of. For the NEC you'd have to buy Spectraview II software separately (the US, not the Euro version). If the Eizo comes with EasyPix included, you're in business.

I've used an NEC P232, and it's an excellent monitor indeed - except one problem: there is a very pronounced off-angle blue/white glow to the blacks, which is quite disturbing. This is in fact a common phenomenon known as "IPS white glow", inherent to the IPS panel technology, but I've never seen it quite as pronounced on other IPS models. Maybe it was just my copy.

If these two are similarly priced where you are (this varies around the world) - and you're determined not to exceed your budget - I'd say the Eizo EV2436 is the winner.

However, if there is one place where you should spend as much as you possibly can, it's the display. It's the most critical piece of hardware you have, and it will have direct impact on your work like no other piece of equipment (except camera and lens, obviously).

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 10:22:40 am »

Thanks deejjjaaaa.  Very tempting...but I am trying to stick to the budget for a change :)
it is just ~1 tank of gas in a some 6cyl car...

M+D

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 01:56:05 pm »

Thanks very much for the informative reply, D. Fosse.  You have raised several points that I had not considered, especially the dedicated software calibration.  I will definitely look into the Spectraview II and EasyPix software to go along with the display.

M+D

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 02:10:50 pm »

It looks like the Spectraview II software can be used with the Spyder 4 Elite hardware that I already own.  If the combination of the Spectraview II software and Spyder 4 hardware could be used together to produce good results, that would save me from having to buy additional hardware.  Does anyone know if that combination would work well together?

D Fosse

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 02:27:50 pm »

The Spyder sensor is supported and will work with Spectraview II. You just need the software.

EasyPix is a simplified version of Eizo's more extensive ColorNavigator. It has somewhat limited options compared to its big brother, one of which the fact that it's tied to Eizo's own EX-2 sensor (which, ironically, is just a rebranded Spyder 4).

So EasyPix is always a full package, software + sensor. But despite the limited options it's functionally a very good calibrator and much preferable over the Spyder software.

M+D

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 03:47:54 pm »

Perfect - Thank you again D Fosse.  It sounds like the NEC P232 with Spectraview II software and Sypder 4 hardware would be a good entry level option (assuming that I don't get a copy with the pronounced IPS white glow you mentioned).  I think if I end up going with that option I will probably purchase from a store with a good return policy so that I can exchange it for the Eizo if the white glow becomes a problem. 
If there are any other display/software options out there I should be considering, I would love to hear about those as well. Thanks.

D Fosse

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 07:09:30 pm »

Yeah, the P232 is a great little unit, if it wasn't for that white glow. Thing is, it kicked in at a very shallow angle from straight on, so it actually affected the corners when I sat at normal working distance. So watch out for that.

But seriously, even if you stretch your budget until it really hurts, you won't regret it. I got so tired of second-guessing what I saw on screen that I finally told my employer to get me an Eizo CG246, or I'd pay for it myself. And I meant it. That convinced them I wasn't fooling around, so they did. And then I bought its slightly stripped-down sister model CX240 for myself at home.

It really made a difference. For the first time I can absolutely trust what I see on screen, and know with confidence what comes out on the other end. That's worth a lot, and those two monitors have already paid for themselves several times over in terms of work efficiency.

M+D

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 08:40:19 pm »

Those are some good points.  I too have had some dark times second-guessing display colors :(.  If I was able to find some additional room in my budget, would you recommend one of these:

NEC P2242W w/ Spectraview II software and Spyder 4

Eizo CS230 w/ ColorNavigator software

Thanks again for the help.

D Fosse

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 01:43:30 am »

Actually it depends on where you are. In the US, it seems that NEC is slightly better value for the money, while here in Europe it's the other way round.

Aspect ratio matters a bit. Personally I like the extra vertical space of 1920 x 1200, I always found the 1920 x 1080 format slightly awkward.

It should also be mentioned that Eizo has a new entry level 24" model called CS240, which is wide gamut. The NEC P242 is not, you need to go up to PA242 for that (note the A). I don't know how prices work out between these three in the US.

Wide gamut is in general not available in 23" models, simply because no such IPS panels are manufactured. Wide gamut is a nice bonus, although I'd say it's non-essential and other considerations should come before that.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 01:54:10 am by D Fosse »

M+D

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 12:03:49 pm »

Thanks very much D Fosse - you have answered all of the questions I had and have helped me out a great deal.  Cheers :)

brntoki

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 08:36:01 am »

M+D,

If you haven't already bought something, at least know that I'm VERY happy with my CS-230 which I was going to recommend as an option, and see now it is on your radar. I'm in a market (Japan) where the Eizo is cheaper, and my budget was smaller than yours and the Eizo ticked as many boxes as I could get ticked at the lowest price.

I was coming from a seriously aged Dell screen, and saying there was a world of difference doesn't even scratch the surface. Galaxy of a difference is perhaps starting to approach it.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=93231.0

M+D

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 01:21:27 am »

Thanks for the recommendation, brntoki!  I have been going back and forth between the NEC and Eizo.  I am in the US where the NEC's are cheaper, but based on what you and D Fosse have said, I am leaning towards spending a bit more for the Eizo. 

Thanks again to both of you for the help :)

brntoki

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 02:14:11 am »

M+D,

I should have mentioned, I did get the CNX version which comes with ColorNavigator and the puck (a rebranded Spyder 4 if I remember correctly). I highly recommend that whichever you get, do try to fit the highest end of their native calibration software and corresponding puck into your budget. In that case, probably just go with whichever is cheapest. I love my Eizo, but if there is an equivalent NEC, from all I've heard, I wouldn't be concerned that I was giving anything up by going with it.

D Fosse

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 02:22:35 am »

Absolutely. An Eizo Coloredge without Colornavigator is a car without engine.

Both NEC and Eizo make excellent monitors. Choosing between Spectraview II and Colornavigator (and I've used both) I prefer the latter, but it's a close call.

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 03:40:04 pm »

I have been using an Asus Proart PB238Q for about two years and am very satisfied with it. It is factory calibrated to sRGB though you can tune it if necessary. For about $225, it is a good value.
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

M+D

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 01:30:54 pm »

I recently received my new display and wanted to report  back.  I ended up stretching my budget a bit and went with the NEC PA242W with Spectraview II using the Spyder 4 that I already own.  The display itself is beautiful - the clarity, contrast, and uniformity is a huge step up from what I was working on previously. 

I have calibrated it using the standard Spectraview photo editing settings (D65 white point, Native (full) color gamut, 2.2 gamma, 140 cd/m2).  I am using the calibrated rgb mode screen setting ("Spectraview II") and have set my web browser (firefox) to color managed (color mode 1 instead of 2).

To my eye the color of the PA242W display seems a bit blue-green after calibration.  At least it is a bit blue-green compared to the lesser quality displays I have used in the past.  But I always calibrated my older displays and did not expect the color to shift much when switching to the new PA242W. 

Spectraview measured my white point at almost exactly 6500K, so perhaps it is correct and I am seeing the appropriate color for the first time.  Has anyone else had a similar experience when switching to a wide gamut display?  Thanks for the help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up