Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: DXO tests  (Read 14303 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: DXO tests
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 08:18:51 pm »

That is quite correct. Roger Clark explains this in some detail using the concept of Etendue (sounds like a French word, maintaining the relationship with DXO). The larger sensor goes with a larger lens.

Indeed! What matters is the T stop of the lens reduced by a factor reflecting both the average angle of the light as it reaches the sensor (typically favoring smaller sensors and longer flange distances) and a technological factor representing the ability of the sensels to effectively capture photon energy at those angles (larger size of actual light collecting area should help here).

In other words, the sensor size alone is one factor among others, the lens is key as well.

Cheers,
Bernard

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 05:26:51 pm »

Hi,

My interpretation is that the usual DxO-mark is essentially a sensor evaluation. What is measured essentially:

SNR 18% (Signal Noise Ratio) for 18% grey card . This is essentially shot noise. Large pixels have large full well capacity (FWC) so they have SNR. But, any image will be resized for printing so the electrons collected in the sensor wild be redistributed in printing. So, what matters is that a sensor may collect say 24 * 10^6 * 6* 10^4  = 1.44*10^12 photons (24 MP at 60000 FWC), would the sensor have twice the pixel size it would have an FWC of 120000 electron charges but the total number of photons collected would still be around 1.44*10^12.

Printing the two images on paper of any size, noise levels would be the same.

Doubling the size of he sensor would increase SNR by 41%, and that is totally independent of print size.

Dynamic Range is a bit different. The term hat DxO uses is the technical definition, DR when SNR=1. In practice, this figure is FWC/(readout noise). Now, readout noise is independent of pixel size. So doubling pixel size will double DR/pixel. But with half the pixel size we would have twice the DR. But noise adds in quadrature but readout noise is fixed. So doubling pixel size will have an 41% advantage in DR in print. That correspond by and large to half an EV.

The DxO-mark sensor doesn't care about resolution, just noise.

There is also a DxO-mark for lenses. One of their measures is effective MPixels. The description they give is very unclear. But it is very probably a variant of SQF, Subjective Quality Factor. The writing indicates that the contrast sensivity function of the eye is used and mention is made of industry cooperation.

SQF is based on research by Ed Granger (?) of Kodak and is widely used. A good definition is given here. There are some issues with SQF, mainly that is very dependent on sharpening, which of course relates to human vision being very much affected by sharpening. So, SQF is a figure for measuring perceived sharpness/rendition based on significant research but in no way fool proof.

This article by Dr. Hubert Nasse of Zeiss discusses SQF quite a bit, but also gives some example(s) where visual impression differs from SQF.

To round of these remarks, let us look at a comparison of the Leica M9 and the Phase One P45+. Both use Kodak sensors wit similar pixel size.
For DR at pixel size DxO-mark gives 11.75 EV (at 48 ISO) for the P45+ and 11.04 EV (at 144 ISO)for the Leica M9. This difference is significant, but note that at 144 ISO the Leica gets a third of the exposure. So hat figure is pretty good.

Looking at "print mode", that is normalised, DR on the P45+ is 12.9 EV but on the Leica M9 11.63. So the 0.71 EV advantage of the P45+ has increased to 1.27 EV when the sensor size was taken into account.

Now, lets look at the Phase One P65+ instead. It has a technology called Sensor+ which bundles 4 pixels into one in hardware, reducing resolution to  fourth.

Looking at "screen resolution" in DxO-mark we can see the effect on SNR as a hump at 800 ISO. But "in the print version" that is normalised to print size we see no hump in SNR. This is expected as SNR essentially is only affected by sensor size.

Looking at "dynamic range" at print size we still see the effect of Sensor+ as a hump at 800 ISO, but at less amplitude compared to the pixel sized graph.

To sum it up, the normalisation that DxO makes takes sensor size very much into account.

Best regards
Erik

That is true, mostly.

Up to a point, yes. But I said in my first message that the DXO tests "will show indirect differences (e.g. lower noise coming using larger sensels).".  Actually, they have to. There is no other way, unless one breaks the laws of physics.

But the tests do not show other effects. Therefore your last sentence should actually read: "The upshot of this is that the tests are designed to minimise the effects of the size of the sensor to the lowest point made possible by the laws of physics."

Anyway, I do not think that discussion is leading us anywhere. I was simply pointing out that DXO, whatever they are testing, do not tell the full story. Can we just simply agree that 2 camera-lens combination with the same DXO score may give very different results in practice?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:44:07 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: DXO tests (lens ratings)
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 05:40:43 pm »

Unfortunately, DxO has not tested MF lenses. But, they have tested lenses on different cameras. The example below shows two different lenses on three different cameras.

The Nikon 50/1.4D performs almost as well on the D810 as the Otus does on the Canon 5DIII

If the Otus is used with the Nikon 7100 APS-C camera much performance is lost, but it still is about the same level as on the larger Canon 5DIII sensor.

This really indicates that DxO-mark lens takes both lens sharpness and sensor resolution into account.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 05:42:06 pm »

SNR and dynamic range are not of any importance to most photographers? When DXO gets around to testing the new CMOS MFDB sensors they will jump to the head of the sensor ratings and you might change your mind regarding the DXO tests.

Photographically usable dynamic range in a real-world workflow matters a LOT to many types of photographers. dXo does not test for this. They test DR in an engineering sense.

The effect of raw processing (quite important given the manufacturer software often gets the best result out of their file), aesthetics, tonal smoothness, quality (not just quantity) and look of grain/noise, and color accuracy in deep shadow transitions are all ignored.

If/when DXO publishes the IQ150/IQ250/Credo50 I'm quite sure it will score very well. That will not change my opinion that the best way to see how a camera handles in the real world, is to shoot it in the real world, and not in a lab setting.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 07:07:50 pm »

Hi,

DxO actually measures photographic DR, it is called "tonal range" in their tests. The DR figure in the DxO tests essentially say how far shadow detail can be pushed before noise becomes visible.

There is very little doubt the IQ-250 will make it to the top of marks, as doubling sensor size usually gives around 10 points.

DxO-mark measures data before raw processing, AFAIK.

DxO-mark is much influenced by the DR-figure which is shadow detail and high ISO capability as these are two of three ratings going into the evaluation. The third is colour depth, where MFD usually rank high.

Best regards
Erik

Photographically usable dynamic range in a real-world workflow matters a LOT to many types of photographers. dXo does not test for this. They test DR in an engineering sense.

The effect of raw processing (quite important given the manufacturer software often gets the best result out of their file), aesthetics, tonal smoothness, quality (not just quantity) and look of grain/noise, and color accuracy in deep shadow transitions are all ignored.

If/when DXO publishes the IQ150/IQ250/Credo50 I'm quite sure it will score very well. That will not change my opinion that the best way to see how a camera handles in the real world, is to shoot it in the real world, and not in a lab setting.
Erik Kaffehr

bjanes

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2014, 09:36:37 pm »

From the DXO full SNR data one can calculate the DR at any desired noise floor as outlined by Emil Martinec. The noise floor that DXO uses for DR is 1:1 or 0 dB. A SNR of 10:1 or 20 dB is more realistic for photographic DR as suggested by Jim Kasson (who posts here frequently and is very knowledgeable in these matters).

I calculated the DR at this noise floor at base ISO for the Nikon D800e and Phase One IQ180 and the results are shown below for both Screen DR and Print DR as used in DXO nomenclature. The DR for 0 dB is also calculated and corresponds closely to the results posted by DXO. Using Print DR as a criterion, the D800e has a 0.81 stop advantage at a 0 dB noise floor and at 20 dB it still has a 0.25 stop advantage. At 18% saturation shot noise predominates and the IQ 180 has better SNR. When CMOS MFDB backs with their large sensor area and presumably low read noise, the MFDB will come out on top.

Bill

Ken R

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 06:06:30 am »

From the DXO full SNR data one can calculate the DR at any desired noise floor as outlined by Emil Martinec. The noise floor that DXO uses for DR is 1:1 or 0 dB. A SNR of 10:1 or 20 dB is more realistic for photographic DR as suggested by Jim Kasson (who posts here frequently and is very knowledgeable in these matters).

I calculated the DR at this noise floor at base ISO for the Nikon D800e and Phase One IQ180 and the results are shown below for both Screen DR and Print DR as used in DXO nomenclature. The DR for 0 dB is also calculated and corresponds closely to the results posted by DXO. Using Print DR as a criterion, the D800e has a 0.81 stop advantage at a 0 dB noise floor and at 20 dB it still has a 0.25 stop advantage. At 18% saturation shot noise predominates and the IQ 180 has better SNR. When CMOS MFDB backs with their large sensor area and presumably low read noise, the MFDB will come out on top.

Bill

Isn't the base iso of the IQ180 iso 35? In the DxO test it shows iso 100 as the lowest iso tested.

bjanes

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2014, 06:28:28 am »

Unfortunately, DxO has not tested MF lenses. But, they have tested lenses on different cameras. The example below shows two different lenses on three different cameras.

The Nikon 50/1.4D performs almost as well on the D810 as the Otus does on the Canon 5DIII

Erik,

Good work in pointing out these results. Although I have some reservations regarding the megapixel ratings that DXO assigns, the results that you cite confirm Jim Kasson's quiver plots previously alluded to and his and Bart's statements that, provided reasonably good lens performance, increasing sensor resolution is better route to improving overall system resolution. The Nikon 50/1.4 is not a particularly good lens, but using it on the D810 gives good results and the D810 will improve system resolution with all one's other lenses.

Bill

Chris Livsey

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2014, 07:44:10 am »

The Nikon 50/1.4 is not a particularly good lens, but using it on the D810 gives good results and the D810 will improve system resolution with all one's other lenses.
Bill

Would the A7R not be just as good at improving system resolution and with a wider range of one's other lenses?
The resolution is the same, do other sensor characteristics, internal processing etc take the A7R below the 810 by a significant margin?

(Noting the A7II announcement with no indication as yet if the RAW "tampering" has been changed would this change the equation?)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2014, 08:14:20 am »

Hi,

Regarding raw "tampering" I don't know what you mean. There is two kinds of raw compression on the A7r (and other Sony cameras), one is essentially a tone curve that is inverted in raw conversion. The itention is to put more smaples in the darks and fewer in the higlights. My view is it is quite OK.

The other is a delta type compression that can introduce artefacts. The only clears samples I have seen of that is artefacts on star tracs. I don't like it a bit!

There may be other "tampering", raw files are sometimes half cooked. No comments on that.

Neither of the above relates to resolution/sharpness. The D810 and the Sony sensor should be quite similar. The A7r has issues whit shutter cause vibrations in shutter speed range like 1/15 - 1/250, though.

Best regards
Erik

Would the A7R not be just as good at improving system resolution and with a wider range of one's other lenses?
The resolution is the same, do other sensor characteristics, internal processing etc take the A7R below the 810 by a significant margin?

(Noting the A7II announcement with no indication as yet if the RAW "tampering" has been changed would this change the equation?)

Erik Kaffehr

Chris Livsey

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2014, 08:21:53 am »

Regarding raw "tampering" I don't know what you mean.
The other is a delta type compression that can introduce artefacts.

Best regards
Erik
Thank you Erik, it was the compression I referred to, the word escaped me momentarily. Jim Kasson has demonstrated it http://blog.kasson.com/?p=4838 although as you say the effect on real world images may be limited at worst.
As I said real word usage with the shutter limitations on the Sony and the superior auto focus on the Nikon (negated if one is mounting manual focus lenses on each) and of course a roughly 2:1 price difference  ;D need to be factored in.
I will look if they have but surely given the Sony versatility DxO could test the same lens on both those bodies?

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2014, 09:28:00 am »

Quantity of noise ≠ Quality of noise.
SNR ≠ Aesthetics of Shadows.

Using a DXO test to judge cameras is sort of like using a metronome to measure an orchestral performance of Mozart .

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2014, 09:50:52 am »

Hi Doug,

While true, the noise characteristics tested by DxO are sensor noise, which is mostly (Poisson) shot noise and read-noise (and some mix of PRNU noise). How a Raw converter deals with that during demosaicing and noise reduction is a different matter. Not unimportant at all, but different.

DxO tests lens and camera physics, because they need that data for their type of Raw conversion and aberration/distortion correction. Others add their specific flavor of dealing with those issues.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

bjanes

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2014, 10:34:36 am »

Isn't the base iso of the IQ180 iso 35? In the DxO test it shows iso 100 as the lowest iso tested.

Ken,

This is where DXO testing is helpful. Manufacturers can rate the ISO of their sensors as they see fit using the ISO REI (recommended exposure index). See here for details. They often rate the sensor lower than the saturation standard would indicate so as to provide highlight headroom and avoid blown highlights. 0.5 EV is often allowed for highlight headroom. As the DXO measurements show, when the IQ180 ISO is set to 100, the measured ISO is only 29, allowing 1.79 stops of highlight headroom. Effectively, this is underexposure.

At camera settings of 50 and 35 the measured ISO is 29, the same as with the camera setting of 100. This is relative overexposure as compared to ISO 100. This indicates that the amplifier gain is not changed when one goes from a camera setting of ISO 100 to 35.

Bill
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 06:41:16 pm by bjanes »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2014, 11:35:32 am »

Hi Doug,

DxO has not yet tested any of the 44x33/50 MP Sony sensor equipped cameras yet. But, we have a good comparison between the IQ-250 and the IQ-260 and IQ-280 due to your own library shots. Those shots were commendably good, by the way.

Paul Caldwell started a thread a thread on those shots and posted the pair of images below, IQ-250 on the right:

These images are pretty consistent with what you would expect from a Sony sensor (similar to , but a bit larger than the one used in the Nikon D810 etc). It is also quite consistent with DxO data indicating significant readout noise in the shadows in the shadows of the older P and IQ-series backs. My own developments were similar, but Paul is a long time Phase One user, which I am not.

Paul has been quite impressed by IQ-250, enough to want to 'cross grade' from his 8 months old IQ-260 to the new IQ-250, in spite of the 1.3X crop factor. But he is not willing pay the  $21k "cross grade fee". The main reason is cleaner shadows on his Nikon compared to the IQ-260.

Links here:
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/611862-post21.html
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/612068-post33.html
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-digital-backs/52479-iq250-iq260-residual-value.html#post612185

So, it seems that both your examples and Paul's experience indicates that there is quite a bit of reality in the DxO figures.

Best regards
Erik

Using a DXO test to judge cameras is sort of like using a metronome to measure an orchestral performance of Mozart .
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:11:38 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

jerome_m

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2014, 03:05:55 pm »

I am really losing interest in these discussion and actually regret to have started this thread.

I said in my first message that the DXO tests "will show indirect differences (e.g. lower noise coming using larger sensels)".  I am not arguing about that.

But the tests do not show other effects, because they are designed to ignore these effects. Erik, for example: you use both a MF camera and a 24x36 A99. Are you really sure that you never noticed any other effect beyond increased dynamic range and lower noise?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2014, 03:55:46 pm »

Hi Jerome,

That is an interesting question to which I have no answer. You sometimes made the point that the way I work I equalise things, and that is quite true. I normally shoot medium apertures, and for limited DoF I rather use a long telephoto on the DSLR where I can focus using magnified live view. I see some disadvantage in DR to MFD but I don't see it as very limiting. Colour rendition is pretty close after I made my own DNG profiles. In general, what I see (based on my equipment) is that:

I do see a very significant difference in resolution/MTF stuff, on screen, with my 24 MP pixels uprezzed to the 39 MP of the P45+. In A2 prints I see no difference. I have done some limited experiments with different people and they are not conclusive. Perhaps I may have the impression that if we are comparing details, little difference is noticed in A2-size. Going up to A1 I would say the difference starts to be clear. Looking on screen there is a large difference. But, at least in one test folks easily detected which was which.

Something like this:

- The left one is better, is that with the blad? (Correct, Elderly observer partially color blind).
- That one is the MFD, it has higher contrast. (Correct, but I don't feel it is higher contrast, young guy)
- That one is MFD, it is a better crop, you have moved the camera. You don't think I notice. Correct, camera was moved 10 cm at bout 5 m distance to subject. Elderly observer.

On the other hand:

I test he very same image with a young guy, with perfectly good vision and he cannot see the difference. Most other test I have done with a trained observer, little difference was noted.

It is very hard to make to similar images, with two different equipments. Lab conditions, it is easy. But in real world lighting changes, graduated filters are used in postprocessing, white point may differ.

My finding after 17 months is that there is significant difference on my P45+ (39 MP) and Sony Alpha 99 (24 MP) in sharpness, but, I cannot see that  difference in A2 size prints. I have seen examples where other observers would easily detect differences. Far to few experiments to draw conclusions.

Here are some images I shot on a two week trip:

This is Hasselblad P45+, compound of two images.

While I was shooting the above image I made this free hand shot on the Sony SLT 99 (snapshot):

Later in the evening we went for a walk, I just carried my Sony Alpha 77 (APS-C), two lenses in my pocket, tripod and an ND filter:

The next image was shot just after sunrise, using the Sony Alpha 99 (full frame 135). Waiting an hour for good light.

This one was shot on APS-C using a Sigma fisheye lens at f/16 for DoF (handheld):

This was Sony Alpha 99 SLT (Full frame 135)

And this one was Hasselblad P45+

I am perfectly sure all of these will make perfectly good A2 images.

• Now, getting back to the original question. I am basing my lens and camera buys mostly on tests and never on hearsay suggestions.
  • I have some respect for rent and test yourself suggestions. But designing good testing is not easy. Professional testers are hopefully good at it.
  • I would say that published tests have some relevance, but you need to be aware of their limitations.

Getting back to the DxO tests, what I see is that:
  • They correspond pretty well with my experience on noise, DR related stuff
  • I cannot say about the lens tests. My experience neither contradicts DxO findings or clearly support them.

Best regards
Erik

I am really losing interest in these discussion and actually regret to have started this thread.

I said in my first message that the DXO tests "will show indirect differences (e.g. lower noise coming using larger sensels)".  I am not arguing about that.

But the tests do not show other effects, because they are designed to ignore these effects. Erik, for example: you use both a MF camera and a 24x36 A99. Are you really sure that you never noticed any other effect beyond increased dynamic range and lower noise?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 05:00:54 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Theodoros

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2014, 05:11:26 pm »

Bill
Yeah... but what you post IS IRRELEVANT to what you Quote on... :D

Theodoros

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2014, 05:36:58 pm »

In other words... When a sensor captures data... it is DATA it captures... not a PHOTO-GRAPH... A photo-graph though... is what a photo-grapher ONLY cares about (otherwise he's not a photo-grapher)... AND... what a sensor captures as DR or noise or colour or contrast,... IS IRRELEVANT to what the photo-graph looks like...

Additionally... there is NO GUARANTY whatsoever, that the processing latitude is relevant to the captured amount of latitude there are sensors that capture higher DR than other but print less and other sensors that seem to capture less... but print ALL they capture... and (of course) processing media... does make A LOT of difference in both the sensor's captured data presentation, as well as the data processing latitude...

In other words... B ill is out of subject (as usual) and Erik's thread, can only lead to some more ignorants added (since those that are not... won't bother...). In fact, I won't bother anymore either...

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2014, 08:21:59 pm »

Seriously you guys...
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up