Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When you're combining your job with photography  (Read 1899 times)

Nir_Hason

When you're combining your job with photography
« on: November 21, 2014, 06:32:47 am »

Hi all,

Here in Israel right now the daylight time is very short, at 4:30PM it's sunset and I'm still at work at that time so I'm missing the 'golden hour' most of the time. This week I saw a beautiful sunset and I just went out to the balcony at my work and took this picture:
Blue sunset by Nir Hason, on Flickr

What do you say?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 06:35:33 am by Nir_Hason »

Larry Heath

Re: When you're combining your job with photography
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 03:11:26 pm »

Nice shot.

One of the best sunset shots I have ever taken was out the second floor window of the lab I worked at, right over the parking lot.

Later Larry

Nir_Hason

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 11:14:04 am »

Thank you, any option that you upload that photo?

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 05:41:59 am »

Very nice. Even the lamp post provides interest and scale to the image.

Larry Heath

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 04:58:15 pm »

Thank you, any option that you upload that photo?

Sorry, not really. That image is in storage with many 1000's if not 10,000's of chromes. I was never a great one for filing and cataloging. My wife hated me back when I shot film! Chromes and film strips where everywhere constantly, between that and the cash flow problems, that is pretty much why I never went full time into photography out of college, she couldn’t stand it.

We use to have that image on the wall, but a fire destroyed the print. I’ve thought about reprinting the image a time or two but I still would have to fined the darned thing. Besides I’d likely be disappointed in the quality in comparison to what I can do now days.

Isaac

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 04:50:46 pm »

"When we look at Adam's best pictures from the High Sierra, we imagine that they were made by a man alone in the great high silences of romantic solitude, and it comes as a shock to remind ourselves that many of them (including Frozen Lake and Cliffs) were made during hours that could be spared from his duties as assistant trail boss of a great moveable picnic, composed of up to two hundred nature lovers, some of them virtual tenderfeet, with minimal survival skills, who needed to be led, fed, entertained, and returned to civilization not too much the worse for wear."

page 26 Ansel Adams at 100 John Szarkowski

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 09:12:54 pm »

Well said by John about Ansel and well-quoted, Isaac.

In other words, the Golden Hours are not the only time to photograph. In fact, pushing yourself to make photographs at less-than-desirable times, in less-than-desirable light might prove to be an eye-opener. At least it has been for me. It pushes one to "think different" and to look harder. You will see many fine photographs on this site - nature, street, landscapes - that were made under less-than-ideal conditions.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

slothead

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 08:58:07 am »

Nice image.  I don't particularly care for the wires and light-poles but otherwise it's beautiful.  Well done.
Tom
Nikon D800, D750, N1 J5, Sony A7R, a6000, a5100, Oly E-P2IR
and an assortment of lenses, adapters and tripods
Pages: [1]   Go Up