Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can some forum members view images without it registering?  (Read 3300 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Can some forum members view images without it registering?
« on: November 20, 2014, 06:10:46 pm »

Just a general query  :)

But I noticed on a recent post of mine in a forum area for viewing images (no link to the thread here, as I don't want anyone thinking I am just trying to bump up my image view numbers or anything), but out of a count of 759 views of the thread, only 152 people appear to have then looked at the image according to the image view count. That means 80% of people who make the effort to go into a thread, are in no way interested in actually looking at the image for which the whole thread is about, which seems a bit odd.

Perhaps just an anomaly of the forum, or is there some other reason I wondered?

Dave
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 06:12:33 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Can some forum members view images without it registering?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 06:53:43 pm »

My understanding is the image view counts only those who clicked on the image to enlarge it. Apparently, many who open the thread see the thumbnail only and... move on.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 09:01:01 pm »

Perhaps just an anomaly of the forum, or is there some other reason I wondered?

Unregistered Forum readers cannot see attachments - that likely accounts for a large part of the discrepancy

Ray

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 09:19:34 pm »

Unregistered Forum readers cannot see attachments - that likely accounts for a large part of the discrepancy

We should distinguish here between attachments and 'inline photos' placed in a specific position within the body of the text, presumably from another website. It's the attachments from a personal computer that are invisible if one is either 'not registered' or 'not logged in'.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 02:13:15 am »

I think this feature is useful for judging the attractiveness of thumbnails. Many of the 80% are probably following the discussion, having already enlarged the thumbnail on their first visit to the thread.

Berliner

• artistic photographs
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 02:21:43 pm »

The view counter actually counts every single opening of the thread (including bots and returning visitors).

So, to have the image opened that many times is probably a good sign.

(Please correct me if I'm wrong on the counter, it was the standard implementation of it in this forum software when I last looked at it.)
Best wishes from Berlin.

Silv, contributor to the @Kamerahelden photography blog.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 11:04:20 am »

Why, and again only a query, are unregistered site visitors not allowed to look at the images posted by forum members?

I assume that was originally an historical decision dating back to the days when bandwidth considerations etc were an issue, but as that is probably no longer the case, then if they could see the images we are posting, but still without being able to contribute anonymously themselves, then perhaps they might be more inclined to join the site and contribute their images and help to swell site visitor numbers and potential customers.  :)

Dave
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 06:09:54 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »
Pages: [1]   Go Up