Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji X-T1 firmware v3.0 available Dec 18, 2014  (Read 3657 times)

rdonson

Fuji X-T1 firmware v3.0 available Dec 18, 2014
« on: November 20, 2014, 07:47:21 am »

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_t1/features/page_07.html

There are some very nice firmware updates packaged here.  I must admit though that I'm disappointed not to see improvements in the auto exposure bracketing. 
Regards,
Ron

AFairley

Re: Fuji X-T1 firmware v3.0 available Dec 18, 2014
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 09:37:06 am »

Update for X-E2 . . . big "meh."  Disappointed that Fuji didn't make more of the improvements the X-T1 gets available for the X-E2, most don't seem to be hardware dependent.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 11:16:47 am »

It is unclear if all models of the X-T1 will get some of the features, as they *this feature has been installed on the X-T1 graphite silver.  I am still assuming all models of the X-T1 will be able to use all the new features, especially the electronic shutter.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 11:39:24 am »

The ability to tether might meant that a device like the Promote Control can do the bracketing, so it may be a good thing. I like the manual focus ability while AF is enabled. Some nice enhancements. And also the announcement of macro tubes. The 3rd party tubes have been dismal.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

armand

• Photos
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 11:44:12 am »

Mostly good stuff, we'll have to see how well it works in practice. I would wait a week or two after release before installing to avoid any serious issues.

Right now the Fuji seems to become a pretty well balanced system. A better focus, some better ergonomics for the larger telephotos that are being released and improved output from the sensor (better software and maybe a higher pixel count with higher DR). Maybe the organic sensor will be the next big thing.

PS. And I wish Fuji would stop exaggerating their high ISO values

armand

• Photos
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 11:50:27 am »

I wish I knew for sure how long it would take them to release the next body with even better focus and movies, I could avoid buying into full frame.

PS. Another "problem" with using a APS-C mirrorless is that it makes it more difficult to justify a m43 and a full frame systems (everything else being equal which is not the case yet). More like a combination of 1" for travel light, APS-C for most things and a MF for maximum quality if your prints are measured in feet.

Manoli

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 02:06:58 pm »

Update for X-E2 . . . big "meh."  Disappointed that Fuji didn't make more of the improvements the X-T1 gets available for the X-E2, most don't seem to be hardware dependent.

I can understand that - to a degree, but you've got to give kudos to Fuji for updating firmware even for the X-E1, discontinued almost a year ago !

Most of the improvements are centred on the X-T1, it's more of a 'fiddle & futz' camera. The beauty of the X-E's are the simplicity. Personally, I'm pleased they've kept the distinction and not overloaded the E's with a barrage of  non-essential additional menu options.

Classic chrome, interval timing and the new MF-AF mod - well worth the additional cost ..

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 06:47:00 pm »

I'm disappointed Fuji isn't adding an EVF/LCD mode that would allow the user to enable both, but restrict the LCD to viewing stored images (i.e, chimping)—similar to the typical division of function between the optical viewfinder and LCD on a single-lens reflex—rather than requiring the user either to enable both while shooting or disable one of them completely.

JV

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 07:26:14 pm »

you've got to give kudos to Fuji for updating firmware even for the X-E1, discontinued almost a year ago !

+1.  I very honestly don't get this. 

Fuji releases once more a significant firmware update and immediately people start whining because it is not exactly what they wanted...

rdonson

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 09:13:11 pm »

I can understand that - to a degree, but you've got to give kudos to Fuji for updating firmware even for the X-E1, discontinued almost a year ago !

As someone with a number of Canon DSLRs and lenses I find Fuji very refreshing.  My Canon 7D has received one firmware update over 5 years.  The X-T1 that I own hasn't even been available for a year and it has a significant firmware update.  Kudos to Fuji as well!!! 

P.S. My XT-1 blows away my 7D on image quality.

P.P.S.  Yes, I'm considering the 7D Mark II for my sports photography but loving every minute I spend with my X-T1
Regards,
Ron

AFairley

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 11:10:29 am »

+1.  I very honestly don't get this. 

Fuji releases once more a significant firmware update and immediately people start whining because it is not exactly what they wanted...

Adding "classic chrome" is significant?  Please....  (Talking about the X-E2 update here.)

JV

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 11:24:14 am »

Adding "classic chrome" is significant?  Please....  (Talking about the X-E2 update here.)

No, it isn't but there is also interval timer shooting and enhanced wireless functionality.

I am sure there are probably more improvements under the hood as well.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 12:01:17 pm by JV »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 12:26:36 pm »

No, it isn't but there is also interval timer shooting and enhanced wireless functionality.

I am sure there are probably more improvements under the hood as well.

In regards to the interval timer, it's not much benefit as it relies on the camera for the shutter speed.  Thus, you are limited to 30" for max exposure.  This is fine if you are after time lapse, but not if you are working for other needs like stacking.  I hate for all the companies to use the term "intervalometer" as what they have is not a true intervalometer.  It needs to have it's own timer.  There is no doubt a way to do this as Magic Lantern on the 6D allows it, even though Canon can't figure it out or cares not too. 

Nikon is the same here, as is Sony they all still max at 30". 

Nowhere near long enough for a night series stacked.  Where you need on average 1 minute to 2 minutes per exposure.  Luckily there is a remote intervalometer for the Fuji cameras, that is cheap and works great.  Not true for Sony which is sad as they have a great sensor package.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 08:24:43 pm »

This update looks great, Fuji has earned it's reputation as an innovative company that does firmware updates instead of an endless series of minimally new camera bodies. We'll have to see if everything really works as advertised but in the past they've usually worked right out of the box.

Everyone has their own wish list depending on the type of photography they do. I'm not complaining but would like to see more flexible bracketing; for example to allow the ETTR settings in the recent article on LULA on 10/29 by Bob diNatale. It would be nice to be able to push the shutter once and get my three exposures. More megapixels would be nice too but that's not firmware...

I started with 35mm, went to 4x5 via 6x6 and 6x7, and have now worked my way down to APS-C. It seems to be a pretty useful format, the image quality is easily sufficient for the sizes at which I print, AND the lenses are small as well. Perhaps optical design will improve but the problem with full frame is that regardless of how small the camera, e.g. the Sony A7x cameras, lovely machines, but fast full frame lenses will still be quite a bit larger to cover the frame.

Viva Fuji.
Pages: [1]   Go Up