Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Christmas Tree ~ Yellowstone in Winter.  (Read 1408 times)

Nigel Turner

• Nigel Turner Photography
The Christmas Tree ~ Yellowstone in Winter.
« on: November 20, 2014, 01:57:22 am »

I don't normally work with monochrome images but this one really shouted out to me to convert to black and white. Many winter images work well in both color and monochrome giving plenty of options for artistic expression.

I feel that the small tree really helps to balance this image, almost becoming a spectator to the chaos that reigns not to far away!

Thanks for looking and also for any comments you may have.
Please check me out here: <a href="http://www.nigelturnerphotography.com"</a>
"The quickest way to make a small fortune in landscape photography is to start with a large fortune!"

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: The Christmas Tree ~ Yellowstone in Winter.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 04:12:24 am »

Very nice image. If anything, I would like to see just a bit more space below the tree, to let it breath a bit more.

francois

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 04:30:05 am »

I've looked at this photo for a few minutes now… My issue with it and it's probably only me, is that my eyes don't stay on the "Christmas tree", the go directly to the geyser in the background. Is it because the tree is darker than the rest of the image? I don't know.
That said, I like it.
Francois

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 06:20:16 pm »

I've looked at this photo for a few minutes now… My issue with it and it's probably only me, is that my eyes don't stay on the "Christmas tree", the go directly to the geyser in the background. Is it because the tree is darker than the rest of the image? I don't know.
That said, I like it.

That's it, exactly, but it's also the nature of the photograph. I think the composition could use some "containment" either as a square or 4:3 crop (sorry for using that four-letter word). A bit more off the left side would help to create a more favourable dynamic between the tree and the geyser.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Nigel Turner

• Nigel Turner Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 06:19:10 pm »

That's it, exactly, but it's also the nature of the photograph. I think the composition could use some "containment" either as a square or 4:3 crop (sorry for using that four-letter word). A bit more off the left side would help to create a more favourable dynamic between the tree and the geyser.

If I were to crop anywhere it would be to crop some from the right which in my eye would help balance the image. That would keep the area of the hills that do have a bit of highlights to them. The good thing is that I shot wide enough to allow me to crop the image should I choose to do so.

You could also direct you comments towards me Lux as well, rather than talk as though I don't exist. After all it is my post and image that you are discussing.

Do appreciate your comments though and the discussion that you have brought to this thread.
Please check me out here: <a href="http://www.nigelturnerphotography.com"</a>
"The quickest way to make a small fortune in landscape photography is to start with a large fortune!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up