Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fujifilm GF670/GF670w vs Mamiya 7ii Rangefinders  (Read 24852 times)

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
Fujifilm GF670/GF670w vs Mamiya 7ii Rangefinders
« on: November 20, 2014, 01:30:25 am »

Hello all,

I am trying to decide on a 6x7 camera, and I'm really tracked to the Fujifilm GF670 and GF670w as a pair, but then the Mamiya 7ii offers some good qualities as well, like the interchangeable lenses, and the fact that a digital version of this camera may be imminent (if the rumors are to be believed). However, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with both of these camera systems?

I imagine the fact that the Mamiya 7 has an actual film advance lever might help, but would love some thoughts. At a certain point when looking at these things it gets to feel like your simply trying to decide between two light tight boxes with different names on them, so opinions would be appreciated. Thanks,

Best,
BH
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

DanielStone

Re: Fujifilm GF670/GF670w vs Mamiya 7ii Rangefinders
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 03:26:09 am »

what do you NEED this camera to do?
what do you WANT this camera to do?

Personally, despite my seemingly non-compatibility with rangfinder cameras, I'd go with the Mamiya 7/7ii, simply because I can carry a separate lens, and only "need" one body for most cases.

And frankly, even if there were a "digital Mamiya 7" to come out, I highly doubt it would work with the M7 line of lenses. It'll most likely have it's own set of glass, all new(so you have to spend more $$$ on another line of glass ;)!)

just my 2ยข

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 04:21:03 am »

The Fuji's are great, the Mamiya 7 system is amazing. The lenses are by far the best I used, ever. Especially the wideangles. And you don't need much to have a running system. A body (well maintained and serviced for peace of mind) and two lenses. Fits in a very small bag, add some rolls of 120. You're ready to go.

tjv

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 04:58:52 am »

The Mamiya 7ii is the best camera system I've ever owned, period. All the lenses are superb, but if pushed I'd say the 50mm was the best (although I never tried the 43mm.) Mine survived months of minus 35 degree celsius weather in northern Japan, major earthquakes and even the odd epic drop from the roof of my car. The only service it ever needed was to slightly realign the rangefinder mechanism. I sold my setup a few years ago and have always regretted it.
Anyway, that's my two cents worth!

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 08:27:54 am »

The Mamiya 6 and Fuji 690s were (are still) my all-time favourite cameras.  The Mamiya 6 & 7 lenses are as good as it gets.  The Fuji glass is also superb.  The Mamiyas are more ruggedly built imho, but I'm not sure it matters.

One thing may matter to you: I believe the Mamiya 7 VF only covers to the 65mm and requires external finders for the 50mm and 43mm.  That's a pain. Not sure about the 6x7 Fujis.

Have fun - these are both terrific systems.

- N.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 08:47:23 pm by ndevlin »
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 12:53:25 pm »

Thans for the input guys, I'm currently trying to find one to be a nice medium format travel camera system, since my current film medium format systems are the Mamiya 645AFD, and the Hasselblad 503CW, and both of those are of course amazing cameras, but you really have to commit to taking them, you can't take it on a leisurely vacation. I'm looking for something to fit next to my Leica's or as a film counterpart to my Sony RX1R for travel when I might want to make some nice images without having to be in "full photographer mode" as relates to gear carrying.

The external viewfinder thing is a good point, I don't think that I will mind this (I already shoot my Leica 24mm with external viewfinder) since the lenses are so wide that for most things hyperfocal or scale focusing will suffice, but I'll have to see what the external viewfinders look like.

Now, in terms of lenses. I think that 65, 80, 150 is reasonable, but as to an ultra-wide does anyone have any thoughts on 50 vs 43, they both seem to produce amazing images, though they are (relatively) similar focal lengths, with not much of a difference. I'm not sure which I would chose since they both need external viewfinders, and they are both f/4.5 lenses (I believe), does the 43 have significant distortion? because if it doesn't it seems like 43 would be the logical choice, but I could be wrong, thoughts appreciated.

Thanks again all.

Best,
BH

tjv

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 01:48:58 pm »

I might be wrong, but I believe the only real difference between the 43mm and 50mm lenses is that the 43mm vignettes more. For some reason I seem to remember they are almost the same lens design, only the 43mm is slightly modified? Anyway, the 50mm I had was the best lens I have ever used on any format. If you think Leica wides are great, this thing will eat them for breakfast.

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 02:41:12 pm »

The 43 vignettes a little. As someone who adds vignette more often than not, I could care less.  The difference in angle of view, however, is quite significant. 

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

snowy151

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 04:33:56 pm »

Now, in terms of lenses. I think that 65, 80, 150 is reasonable, but as to an ultra-wide does anyone have any thoughts on 50 vs 43, they both seem to produce amazing images, though they are (relatively) similar focal lengths, with not much of a difference. I'm not sure which I would chose since they both need external viewfinders, and they are both f/4.5 lenses (I believe), does the 43 have significant distortion? because if it doesn't it seems like 43 would be the logical choice, but I could be wrong, thoughts appreciated.

I used to own a 7ii with 43, 65, 80 and 150 lenses and in a moment of madness sold it :(
The 43 was fabulous - no noticeable distortion as with all the other lenses. I once hired a Hasselblad SWC to do a direct comparison and there was almost no difference between them. I still have the 150 lens sitting forelorn on a shelf as the buyer for the rest of the kit didn't want it, so I really should get round to selling it.  That particular lens got a bad rap as it's on the limit of the rangefinder base-length so people struggled to focus accurately with it.  But it's a true apochromatic and is as superb as the other lenses if used carefully.
I've never owned the newer Fuji RFs so can't directly compare.  I did have an older GW690iii that felt like a plastic toy compared to the Mamiya, but the lens on that was a beauty too.

IanB

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 07:47:33 am »

I have a Fuji GF670W which I use as a travel camera - I like it a lot, but with a few practical reservations.

I think I prefer its rendering to the equivalent Mamiya. The lens seems to be capable of immensely high resolution, but without quite the hard contrast of the Mamiya lenses - which I find tend to be too aggressive. I prefer a more natural, calmer look. It's almost a bit Leica-ish rather than Zeiss-ish, if you get my drift (but not really...!) It's a joy to carry and use in its basic, naked form. The film wind knob is a real asset - it slows me down and I think more carefully when I get into the right rhythm - which is just what you need for these cameras! I don't own the standard lens version, but have borrowed one, and like it too.

Biggest problem tends to be the ancillaries. The lens shades are a bit clunky, and filters can be a problem on the folding version - you cannot fold with anything in front of the lens. Both cameras work best without any extras - just as they come.

People have been shocked by the prices, but I think they are reasonable for what you get - really excellent cameras.

joezl

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 01:30:35 pm »

I also own a Mamiya 67II. I haven't used it for years, since I started using digital cameras. The Mamiya is the perfect camera for my style of work. It is my favorite camera so, even though I no longer use it, I don't want to sell it. Go figure! The OVF is big and bright and the lenses are great. I've been hoping for a digital equivalent for years. I've considered the Sony RX1r but it has a fixed lens and the add on OVF isn't very accurate. If you're shooting film and enjoy using rangefinders the Mamiya 6's and 7's and any of the Fuji 67, 68 or 69' "Texas Leicas" won't let you down.

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 12:59:57 pm »

Thanks for the responses guys, from what I read people seem to love their Fuji's but the Mamiya might have a slight edge, I think all in all on an IQ side of things they are about equivalent but its a question of ease of use etc and Mamiya might have the edge, but we'll see soon enough, will report back. Thanks!

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 06:58:05 pm »

If you don't mind one camera with one lens a Makina 67 takes some beating. It folds flat too, the nearest you can get to pocketable 6x7. You could get two the wide angle and the standard 80mm. Both would easily fit in a small bag.
I broke my  one, spent a lot getting it back in tip top condition after years of abuse, then dropped it within a a couple of days, smashed it.
Kevin.

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 07:15:54 pm »

Thats sort of the reason I decided against the Plaubel, because I have read that it is very fragile.....I assume you agree? Thanks,

Best,
BH

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 12:42:17 pm »

I had both Fuji 6x9 rangefinders, with the 65mm and 90mm lenses. They are built pretty well, the lenses are amazing. The bodies are very basic, not much to them. I didn't like the lack of a Bulb mode for longer exposures (the Fujis use a T (time) exposure mode, requiring one to wind the film to end the exposure. Make sure you cover the lens before doing so :) ) The shutter is quiet, but is limited in fast speeds (1/500th max IIRC.)

Looking at those big trannies on a light table was pretty sweet. The lenses truly are excellent. I felt like they needed to be on a tripod most of the time for best results, even though the rangefinder bodies screamed out to be handheld.

I've never used the Mamiya 7 so I can't compare.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 02:30:01 pm »

Thats sort of the reason I decided against the Plaubel, because I have read that it is very fragile.....I assume you agree? Thanks,

Best,
BH
Only broke because I dropped it from about 5ft onto a tiled floor. I had it for years from new. Probably pound for pound the most profitable camera I've ever had, I sold lots of images taken with it, mainly because it was no bother taking it out and about. I shot a magazine article while on holiday with it some years ago, the one lens was not limiting. Lovely contrast and tone to the images.
 When it's folded I should think its as tough as any. You wouldn't want to clout it when extended, but thats not likely to happen.
I would have another one if I was looking for another 6x7. I always regretted they never did a telephoto version. But a wide and standard would be a great kit, plus for a 6x7 it takes up very little space or weight.
Plaubel are also a great company to deal with, small and a old fashioned way to do things.......but not cheap.
Kevin.

Gary Yeowell

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 09:37:24 pm »

Have owned both the Mamiya's 6/7 and Fuji's 67/69, still own the Mamiya7. My take on it is that the sharpness is similar, with an edge to the Mamiya glass in resolution. For me personally i find the Mamiya 7 glass to be rather too contrasty and edgy compared to the more fluid looking Fuji glass. On the other hand in terms of colour rendition i find the Mamiya glass superior to the Fuji's, looking a little cleaner and better separated. Both cameras are well built and very reliable, but the Mamiya definitely feels better in the hand and more intuitive in use.

I have to agree with KevinA however, in as much as i prefer the Plaubel Makina's overall. I owned both versions for some time but now only the wide version. The Nikkor 55mm used on this camera is something else, the sharpness of the Mamiya glass with the fluidity of Leica glass. The colour rendition also is second to none, less punchy than the modern glass, slightly lower in contrast, but somehow manages to be the best lens i have ever used shooting into the light.

Hope that helps.

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 12:11:37 am »

Thanks for the input guys, I think I have ruled the Fuji's out, not because they are bad but because the other cameras seem to over more, whether its the ILC and handling of the Mamiya 7 or the compactness / high quality of the Plaubel's, I think I will simply have to hold both of them in my hands when am in Hong Kong and Tokyo and decide which feels better, there is even an argument to picking up the Mamiya 7 and the Plaubel 2.8 for the glass alone.

One question I have is, I was under the impression that Plaubel doesn't exist anymore, are they still making cameras? Thanks,

Best,
BH

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 06:38:34 am »

Plaubel is alive: http://www.plaubel.com

but they quit making the smaller formats

IanB

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 10:58:11 am »

To clarify - much as I like the new Fuji GF670's, the real reason I bought one is because I couldn't buy a new(ish) Plaubel Makina in decent condition. It would have been first choice...
Pages: [1]   Go Up