Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Little Redfish Lake  (Read 1686 times)

MasonJarr

Little Redfish Lake
« on: November 19, 2014, 05:01:23 pm »

With the aid of reading and experimentation, I'm attempting to teach myself Lightroom processing.  With that in mind, I'm looking for feedback on this image.  Although I'll certainly welcome any critique on the image itself, I'm primarily seeking suggestions on how it's processed (or not processed if that be the case).  I've always felt one of the best learning tools is the thoughts of those with more experience. 

stamper

Re: Little Redfish Lake
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 03:43:52 am »

A fine composition. However - this is subjective - the image looks a little flat especially the highlights. They could be raised a little. Measure the lightest highlight and see if it can be raised without overexposing it. A little more punch in the midtones would be good. A little more saturation in the trees would also be good. If the light was good when you captured the image then you wouldn't need to push the values too much to achieve good contrast.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 04:10:53 am »

Composition wise, I find the branches on the left hand side, bottom, to be intrusive. They distract from the flow of the pole going into the water.

I like the reflection of the clouds in the water, I would try to bring it out a bit more, perhaps with a local contrast boost.

I would not change the saturation in the trees, I like the somewhat subdued earth-greens that hint of approaching winter. I think the greens complement the earthy-browns quite well.

MasonJarr

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 11:06:11 am »

Thank you for taking the time to offer suggestions.  I'll work on it some more and see what comes.

Isaac

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 01:31:56 pm »

Perhaps you haven't already seen Tonal Adjustments in the Age of Lightroom 4.

MasonJarr

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 03:12:45 pm »

Thanks, Isaac.  That's an interesting (and complex) read.  It definitely gives me more information to experiment with.  I'm not sure I completely understand all he had to say, but his presentation is very detailed and I tend to do better with doing something versus just reading about it.  I'll try some of his techniques later today.

MasonJarr

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 12:52:21 am »

After attempting to incorporate suggestions from the first posting, here's my second iteration of this image.  I'd appreciate additional feedback on this version, as well.  Thanks for having patience while I'm learning.  Since I'm new to the forum I hope someone will let me know if there's a better place to post this.  But, by reading the titles of the sub-forums I thought this would be the place.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 05:43:28 am »

I like the second version more than the first, due to the increased vividity and contrast.

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 07:56:18 pm »

I might shoot for something in between the two, but how ever you post it, it's a great photo
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.
Pages: [1]   Go Up