Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about custom white balance for architectural shoot  (Read 1346 times)

Chacaboy

Question about custom white balance for architectural shoot
« on: November 19, 2014, 01:25:37 pm »

I am an architectural photographer preparing to shoot a new, modern five story, squarish university building with a clerestory atrium in the center going from the basement all the way to the roof with stairs and balustrades, and sitting spaces all around it on each of the four sides. The lighting is all over the place. On the west side of the building there is natural light filtering in through windows. (I can shoot at night, during the day, or both). There are tungsten can lights on the balconies, colored lights installed in some of the railings, and a media screen installed in the atrium against one side that affects three stories and will be running constantly during the shoot. The media screen is luminous and spills color everywhere . There are fluorescents in the offices seen through glass panels in the background of every shot that are showing green in the scout shots.

Usually with the camera set on auto white balance, I put a gray card in each shot, or a MacBeth checker, then use the LR WB dropper, tweak that result if necessary and copy the color temperature I decide on into each file in LR. I don't know what to do here, or even where to put a checker. Is there a way to determine a custom white balance color temperature for the whole atrium - all five floors? Or maybe one for daylight shots and one for night shots? Should I try to create a camera profile with Passport (don't use that normally)?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially if you have experience something similar and solved the problem. I want to avoid endless tweaking in post to try to make them all consistent.

sniper

Re: Question about custom white balance for architectural shoot
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 12:31:46 pm »

I think I'd be tempted to shoot a different WB for each light source and combine later in photoshop, although it's easy to say that sitting here it might be a lot more difficult in practice to do.
I have used to "cheat" way in the past of using live view and scrolling through the WB options until I get one thats close and tweak later, but it's better if you can set up a grey card.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 12:56:22 pm »

I think you should ask your client. They might prefer a totally neutral view or one that reflects how the different light sources influence one's perception of space.

rather than shoot different frames , especially if there are people in the shot  I'd process the same "master frame" with different WB settings and layer the results in Photoshop, masking as you go, to achieve the right balance of tone and color.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 01:16:12 pm »

I think you should ask your client. They might prefer a totally neutral view or one that reflects how the different light sources influence one's perception of space...

Indeed. A recent client I had went for an overall look and feel of the place and the image, preferring a colorful interpretation to a more neutral one. By that I mean when you have different light sources (daylight, tungsten, fluorescent, etc.), they might create a mix where nothing is actually "correct" or fully neutral, yet, when taken together, produce a nice, colorful atmosphere. You might spend hours in lighting or post-production, trying to create a perfectly neutral WB, and end up with a rather bland, sterile image. 

brianrybolt

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 07:21:37 am »

Having run into exactly the same problems in a Mall that I was shooting for a brochure both the client and myself were quite pleased with the 'overall' view for reasons mentioned above in other posts. 
Your shots can always be tweaked in post.

Good luck.
Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up