Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR Softproof  (Read 2880 times)

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
LR Softproof
« on: November 18, 2014, 06:34:33 pm »

Hi,

After watching a Digital Dog video, I wanted to do some soft proof comparisons. Problem is that I cannot find ProPhoto RGB in the drop down list or in the 'other' category. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: LR Softproof
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 06:59:41 pm »

Have you clicked on "Other" and added it?

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 08:08:55 pm »

That's my point (see my original post)...its not listed in "other" and yes I clicked display profiles.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 08:35:04 pm »

What OS? Do you have access to ProPhoto in the Export menu? What about Photoshop?

Manoli

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 08:46:29 pm »

Enable Soft Proofing in Develop (tick box on lower left hand side of screen)
click on Profile drop down list in Soft Proof (upper RHS)
NB!
In the 'Choose Profile' screen,lower LHS, tick the check box [include Display Profiles],
ProPhoto will then show up in the list
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:48:00 pm by Manoli »

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 10:16:49 pm »

Windows 7.

I think so. ProPhoto appears in the Export color space drop down menu, but not in the 'other list' in the drop down menu.

I do not use Photoshop.

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 10:21:53 pm »

Enable Soft Proofing in Develop (tick box on lower left hand side of screen)
click on Profile drop down list in Soft Proof (upper RHS)
NB!
In the 'Choose Profile' screen,lower LHS, tick the check box [include Display Profiles],
ProPhoto will then show up in the list

Wierd, Does not work for me. As I said above...

That's my point (see my original post)...its not listed in "other" and yes I clicked display profiles.

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 10:43:15 pm »

..update...

Ok, this is wierd.  It looks like the profile was not installed (ie not in Windows\system32\spool\drivers\color folder).  I found it somewhere else on my harddrive and installed it and can now access it.

Which leads to another question...how does it normally get installed? Isn' it packaged with LR? I found two version on my hard drive with different dates. How do I know I have the most recent version.

Thanks

davidedric

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 09:22:46 am »

May I ask a follow up question.   

I understood the purpose of soft proofing is to see where the colours in the current image are being clipped (in print and in the monitor), and to give a simulation of what a final print might look like.

Since the image is likely in Lightroom's internal colour space (which I understand to be close to ProPhotoRGB) or a smaller one,  what could be learned by soft proofing in ProPhotoRGB?

If the answer is somewhere in Digital Dog I'd like grateful for a link.

Dave

Tony Jay

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 03:33:57 pm »

May I ask a follow up question.   

I understood the purpose of soft proofing is to see where the colours in the current image are being clipped (in print and in the monitor), and to give a simulation of what a final print might look like.

Since the image is likely in Lightroom's internal colour space (which I understand to be close to ProPhotoRGB) or a smaller one,  what could be learned by soft proofing in ProPhotoRGB?

If the answer is somewhere in Digital Dog I'd like grateful for a link.

Dave
The issue of clipping of colours is only a small part of the point of softproofing.
It is possible to have an image where no clipping occurs from master file to print yet the print looks completely weird due to colour shifts and loss of contrast.
Also one is not softproofing in ProPhotoRGB - one is using the output colourspace (in the case of prints whatever the ICC printer/paper profile is appropriate).
The point of softproofing is to have the output print mirror the master image as closely as possible.

Tony Jay

davidedric

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 04:46:45 pm »

Thanks for the clarification, Tony

I think I understand using the appropriate output colour space to softproof,  which is why I didn't understand why the OP was searching for  the ProPhotoRGB profile in the drop down list, since I couldn't see how that was likely to be an output colour space.   But no matter,  don't want to trample on the thread.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 04:53:36 pm by davidedric »
Pages: [1]   Go Up