Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable storage drives with card readers built in  (Read 2197 times)

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
Portable storage drives with card readers built in
« on: November 18, 2014, 12:28:24 am »

Hi all,

When I travel and when I need to backup images in the field I have been using a Colorspace UDMA2 device, which will read SD or CF cards and store them on a laptop size hard drive, works real well. You can install your own 2.5inch drive. I have found it to be a really handy device to have around. Not too long ago, WD released their portable drive with a SD card reader, and is called the WD My Passport Wireless. It was USB3 compatible and I thought it might be better and it never hurts to have too many backups. So I spent some time testing and comparing using these devices side by side in the field. Bottom line is the Colorspace UDMA2 was the best, especially in download speed. It has the most features. The Colorspace device was almost 2.5x faster than the newer WD device.

My full write up is here:
http://www.aps-photo.com/2014/11/portable-image-backups/

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Portable storage drives with card readers built in
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 03:10:58 am »

Bottom line is the Colorspace UDMA2 was the best, especially in download speed. It has the most features. The Colorspace device was almost 2.5x faster than the newer WD device.

My full write up is here:
http://www.aps-photo.com/2014/11/portable-image-backups/

Thanks for the info, Alan. I'm also a satisfied 'Colorspace' user, and was wondering if the new WD had some benefits, other than it being wireless.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
Re: Portable storage drives with card readers built in
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 10:30:42 am »

Thanks Bart.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA
Pages: [1]   Go Up