Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPhone bracket that fits in a DSLR flash socket  (Read 3104 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
iPhone bracket that fits in a DSLR flash socket
« on: November 15, 2014, 02:15:29 pm »

I would like to use an iPhone as a waist level finder on my Nikon bodies since none of them have a tilting LCD.  has anyone found a solution for this. I am planning to feed the live view from a camranger connection from the camera to the phone.

It would be very convent to mount the phone on the top of the camera via the flash socket if any such mounts exist.

Thanks
Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

allegretto

Re: iPhone bracket that fits in a DSLR flash socket
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 11:50:15 pm »

Really Right Stuff made up something much like this, but as I recall it fit Arca-Swiss connections. Easy enough if you have an L-plate though

I can't find it on their site any more and maybe it was a flop

But you could call them, perhaps they still have some. It was specifically for the iPhone IIRC...

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 12:02:41 am »

I think they still have it along with their case I was looking at it earlier tonight.  But I couldn't see a way to get it on the top of the camera.

The Alpa style design would be perfect.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer

Manoli

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 04:59:58 am »

Paul,

Similar to alan_b above, but some alternatives:

Manfrotto 492LCD

and either

Glif  or S1 smartphone rig

The Glif is adjustable with allen keys and has an ingenious 'angled grip' which, once properly set up, allows you to slide the smartphone in/out without having to adjust the column length each time. Just received the S1, seems both good and solid but probably less suitable for using atop a cam.

M
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 05:15:33 am by Manoli »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 08:00:01 am »

Thanks guys for the help. Lots of good ways to go. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Conner999

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 08:40:02 am »

RAM mounts and any 1/4-20 threaded cold shoe from B&H.

http://www.rammount.com/products/applemounts/tabid/1647/default.aspx

Like Lego for adults. Love them - and durable and secure.

dwswager

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 09:07:24 pm »

I would like to use an iPhone as a waist level finder on my Nikon bodies since none of them have a tilting LCD.  has anyone found a solution for this. I am planning to feed the live view from a camranger connection from the camera to the phone.

It would be very convent to mount the phone on the top of the camera via the flash socket if any such mounts exist.

Thanks
Paul

Never really thought of using the Flash Mount, but know you can get a threaded socket adapter.

I use my Galaxy Note II (5.5") screen wired directly from the port on the camera to the USB port on the phone with Helicon Focus Remote for both Focus Stacking and Exposure Bracketing.  Since I'm controlling the camera from the phone I just hold it while the camera is mounted on the tripod.  I've been thinking of using a 7" Android tablet for the larger screen though so this is somewhat interesting.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 09:01:28 am »

Never really thought of using the Flash Mount, but know you can get a threaded socket adapter.

I use my Galaxy Note II (5.5") screen wired directly from the port on the camera to the USB port on the phone with Helicon Focus Remote for both Focus Stacking and Exposure Bracketing.  Since I'm controlling the camera from the phone I just hold it while the camera is mounted on the tripod.  I've been thinking of using a 7" Android tablet for the larger screen though so this is somewhat interesting.

I have found find I prefer a tilting screen which gives me a waist level finder.  I find using live view on a standard DSLR taxing unless I happen to be on a tripod. I would love to see a EVF in a future Nikon but that means mirrorless.

I love the screen on the 750 but just don't want to give up a 800 body for one.   I had hoped Nikon would give the 810 Wifi so a user would gain live view over wifi like Canon offers from the 6D.

I have ordered the Vello mini ball head which has the hot shoe foot. Still working on the phone holder.

Paul

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up