Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deleting files from the disc via LR  (Read 1022 times)

pluton

Deleting files from the disc via LR
« on: November 14, 2014, 06:39:04 pm »

When in the Library module, and you delete the original(in my case raw) file from the disc or hard drive, the deletion action also deletes the same file(s) from the secondary import location.
Shouldn't the secondary import location, which LR provides as a safety backup for redundancy, be left alone by the deletion action?
The secondary import location contents are a temporary backup, and are periodically completely deleted anyway, so there is no danger of a huge unnoticed data buildup on the secondary location drive.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
Re: Deleting files from the disc via LR
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 02:06:57 am »

Shouldn't the secondary import location, which LR provides as a safety backup for redundancy, be left alone by the deletion action?

Not necessarily. I think LR is doing it the right way. Deleting an image means that you are discarding it so it is reasonable to remove all instances of it. If you just want remove the image from your library use "Remove" option which will only delete any related records in the LR catalog.

Secondary locations as well as RAIDs, etc are designed for "physical" or hardware failures (e.g. disk damage), not for "logical" issues (e.g. file modifications)

The secondary import location contents are a temporary backup, and are periodically completely deleted anyway, so there is no danger of a huge unnoticed data buildup on the secondary location drive.

This would be your particular case, I would not think this is a general practice.

Regards
Pages: [1]   Go Up