Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bags for various purposes  (Read 5426 times)

Noonie

Bags for various purposes
« on: November 14, 2014, 09:57:40 am »

I have a Canon Rebel T5 with the included 18-55 IS lens, plus an older 100-300 IS Ultrasonic lens from when I had a Elan film camera.

The main reason why I bought the camera is to take along with me on day hikes...1-4 hours out in the forests around where I live in Ontario, Canada.  But I've started to see other opportunities to get out there with the camera, and I'm wondering what bag(s) I need to carry my camera safely and conveniently.  Fewer bags the better.

For hiking I purchased a cotton carrier strapshot (attaches to my backback).  I haven't used it yet, but it seems useful for hiking when I have the pack.  I'm not sure I like the included handstrap though.  I have about 10 days to return this for a refund if I choose to go with another approach (see below, as I may pick up another style of bag that I could also use when hiking).

In addition to hiking, I may use my camera as follows:
- short walks around the forest hiking trails near my house (I don't need a backpack with gear for these hikes that average an hour)
- cycling: I ride 3-4 times a week and I thought I might want to bring the camera with me on 1-2 of those rides...with the idea of pulling it out when the lighting is good and I want to take some pictures.  I usually ride a road bike, though it's around forests, farm lands, etc.  Lots of landscape opportunities when the sun is rising.

This morning I used my wifes optex bag with a strap that I slung across my chest.  It felt comfortable, but is too small for my camera, and there is no chance of carrying the 100-300 lens.

I'm thinking I want a bag similar to my wife's bag, but with extra space for the additional lens and a bit of extra space for a filter or two, and maybe a ziplock bag if it rains.  Not sure what to do with the bike...I could get a handlebar bag, use a camelbak that has enough room...and lastly, I'm not sure if I could get one bag that I could use when hiking (attached to my backpack, but removeable) and my short walks without backpack.

Thoughts?

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
Re: Bags for various purposes
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 03:51:42 pm »

For years I used a fanny pack made by Tamrac (I think). I could ride my bike easily, with the load behind me. To access the camera, I'd simply spin the bag around my waist.

http://www.tamrac.com/carrying-styles/hip-packs/
~ CB

Noonie

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 08:10:28 am »

For years I used a fanny pack made by Tamrac (I think). I could ride my bike easily, with the load behind me. To access the camera, I'd simply spin the bag around my waist.

http://www.tamrac.com/carrying-styles/hip-packs/

I could use such a bag for cycling, and also for walking around with the camera slung across my chest with a strap.  I think I'll keep the cotton carrier for hiking (tried it this morning and I think I have it set up well).

Cheers  :)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 08:02:19 pm »

I'm also in Ontario, so I spend a lot of time on the Bruce Trail. For years I used a waist pack which was great to keep me hands free for hiking, Nordic skiing, etc.

But I've found something even better - a sling pack. Same idea: hands free and I just swing it around to access gear without having to put it down (like one does with a backpack). If I'm in a muddy patch or in the middle of a river or over snow, I can simply swing it around to get what needed (like the bum pack)

The sling pack is better, though, because the weight is carried over my shoulder rather than around my waist. Even though I had a well-balanced and comfortable Lowe waist pack, by the time I added a couple of lenses and the body, the pull became uncomfortable after a couple of hours of hiking. I find the sling much more comfortable. So the sling is over one shoulder and my tripod, often with the camera attached when I am "working an area", is over the other.

I use two sizes os sling, depending onwhat gear I'm taking with me: the Lowe Slingshot 105AW and the 300AW (AW = All-Weather - they have a waterproof cover that pulls out if a small pocket). They are "boxier" than a traditional sling, but are more efficient for holding camera gear.

Camera straps? Can't stand 'em. They are always in the way when doing tripod work.

BTW - while living and teaching in England a few years back, my high school students looked aghast and rather embarrassed when I referred to my camera bag as a fanny pack, then were quick to, quietly, tell me what a fanny is in England - oops - won't make that mistake again (see here). :-[
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Colorado David

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 08:27:47 am »

Perhaps waist-pack would be a more appropriate term. :o

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 09:19:42 am »

Perhaps waist-pack would be a more appropriate term. :o

Yes, after all this is an international forum... :)

Check out the waist packs and the sling bags from Think Tank Photo, they offer many options. For example, the Change Up v2 might suit your needs. It can be a waist pack, shoulder bag, or hang from a chest harness. It should easily hold your current gear.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Noonie

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 06:16:00 am »

Used the cotton carrier strapshot on a 3-hour hike this morning.  I really like it.  I use trekking poles when I hike and was worried that my arm would hit the camera attached to my shoulder strap...it didn't.  The camera was well secured and can be ready for a shot in seconds.

Still researching waist/sling bags...and their appears to be some good options out there (thanks).

NancyP

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 11:49:31 am »

What, people outside North American don't have fannies / butts? I know ours, or at least the local versions in Missouri, are mighty large, but come on......   :D

Re: waist / fanny packs: I have one but don't like it for really heavy load. Mine is Cabela's fishing fanny pack. Take out the lure boxes, plenty of space to put lenses, but it is big enough to hold > 10 pounds of lenses in soft bags, which starts feeling clunkier than carrying a shoulder sling or backpack. Under 5# of lens, plus 100mm filter system, plus space for raingear and clif bar, with water bottle carabinered off the waist-belt d-ring - comfy. The bag was really bought to hold a 4" x 5" field view camera components (~5# for the kit including lens, loupe,  meter, and dark cloth, exclusive of the film cassettes, which are in a small shoulder bag).

I use the Cotton Carrier vest system. This works well under a standard trekker's backpack. It gets hot under the chest plate (solid tough plastic) in summer heat. I can carry a DSLR and 10" long lens easily (Canon 60D and 400mm f/5.6L).

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 12:32:07 pm »

What, people outside North American don't have fannies / butts? I know ours, or at least the local versions in Missouri, are mighty large, but come on......   :D

You might look around the 'net and see what the slang word "fanny" means in other English speaking countries. :)
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 07:54:31 pm »

You might look around the 'net and see what the slang word "fanny" means in other English speaking countries. :)

I even provided a link in my post. In this global age, there's really no need for ignorance and insensivity.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

NancyP

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 05:56:50 pm »

OOOOOPSIE. Didn't see link. Well, I am the proud owner of one of the GB etc slang Fs as well, and suppose I could turn the rather huge Cabela's "caboose" (another US slang term for buttocks) waist pack pouch forward, thereby draping over said F part. Bad me. Sorry if I offended - I myself am harder to offend than giggling/shocked teenage students. Will behave. And yes, average Missouri buttocks are Wide Loads, this being the land of biscuits and gravy, also of people too poor, too cheap, and too smart to pay big money for vanity plastic surgery.
Pages: [1]   Go Up