Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Basic Software Only  (Read 1181 times)

Noonie

Basic Software Only
« on: November 13, 2014, 07:45:16 pm »

Is the Canon software that came with my Rebel T5 good for these basic functions: uploading Raw and JPEG, storage and organizing, showing the aperture/shutter and other photo details, recording manual notes, uploading to web (not sure what site I'll be using), creating basic slide shows.  At present I don't know what else I may want in a software.  My current thinking is that I'm not interesting in editing. 

I was into photography when film was in fashion and digital was starting...I want to hike and take nature photos, not spend my time on the computer editing.  It's all for personal satisfaction, no business interest.  I want to learn the camera and what it can do to help take photos, but I'm mainly interested in the artistic aspects (lighting, composition, etc).  I would like to share the "keepers" with my 8 yr old daughter, and hopefully get her interest peaked in things other than computers, tv and other gadgets.  Hence my desire for only basic software.

Thanks!

deejjjaaaa

Re: Basic Software Only
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 09:33:37 pm »

my 8 yr old daughter, and hopefully get her interest peaked in things other than computers, tv and other gadgets. 
what's wrong with computers ? http://girlswhocode.com

Isaac

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 03:09:00 am »

At present I don't know what else I may want in a software.

There's now a free license (it's a couple of versions behind their latest greatest) to DxO Optics Pro 8 which seems likely to provide optical corrections for your camera.

I suggest you use the basics that software provides and ignore the rest, until you see a need.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 03:19:47 am by Isaac »

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 04:16:13 am »

Is the Canon software that came with my Rebel T5 good for these basic functions: uploading Raw and JPEG, storage and organizing, showing the aperture/shutter and other photo details, recording manual notes, uploading to web (not sure what site I'll be using), creating basic slide shows. 
The software that comes with the camera is perfectly competent for most of those tasks, although I don't think it will build slide shows. The real problem with the Canon software is not it's functionality, but how easy and nice it is to use.

A lot of people here would recommend Adobe Lightroom as a complete solution for you. It can import and catalogue all your images, you can add notes into the photo's metadata or add keywords, it will upload images to many online services directly, you can build slide shows with it, plus lots of other useful options like it's great editing options (should you wish to investigate them) or make books or print images at home well. Plus there's a huge amount of help around to help you get the best from it.
There are other packages around, some cheaper, but few better and easier to learn.

My current thinking is that I'm not interesting in editing.
If you're considering shooting RAW, which is a good choice, you will end up doing some editing to utilise the advantages.
I want to hike and take nature photos, not spend my time on the computer editing.
You won't be out in the country hiking at night in winter, but you may want to enjoy getting the best from your photographs taken at other times. Best not to think of it as 'time on a computer' more 'time spent on photography' that's an important distinction.

Noonie

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 09:47:53 am »

Thanks everyone.  I'll try my hand at the included Canon software and will look into something like Lightroom should my needs grow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up