Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Colormunki Photo  (Read 4901 times)

RachelleK

Colormunki Photo
« on: November 13, 2014, 11:30:05 am »

After five years there is new software for the Colormunk Photo.  Here is what has changed:

"The following features and improvements have been added for this (MacOS only) release:
Added support for MacOS 10.10.x (Yosemite)
Improved support for MacOS 10.8.x and 10.9.x.
Dropped support for MacOS 10.6.x and 10.7.x.
Added latest version of X-Rite Device Services (XRD) for improved hardware support.
Bug Fix: Fixed issue where printed targets were being color managed by the MacOS regardless of print driver settings.
Bug fix: Fixed issue where application would crash when trying to profile the secondary display on a multiple-display system.
Bug fix: Fixed issue where application could not profile a projector properly.
Bug Fix: Removed hardware activation requirement from software."

The link for the software is:
http://xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?ID=1115&Action=Support&SoftwareID=1499

R

francois

Re: Colormunki Photo
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 12:27:22 pm »

Thanks for the info. I didn't notice that the Yosemite compatible version had been release.
Francois

Jeff Magidson

• Artslides Digital Imaging
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 01:53:21 pm »

Thanks for posting this! Good news.. as Colormunki was looking abandoned.

~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing
http://artslidesboston.com

DF1

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 02:14:16 pm »

Thanks for the post. I've been waiting for this.

jpegman

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 02:27:47 pm »

Now if they just make it compatible with their "True Color Apps" for Android and iOS mobile device calibrations (instead of only compatible with ColorMunki Display - that would be great!

Jpegman

crwoo

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 12:19:29 pm »

Has anyone confirmed that this now prints test pages on Canon IPF printers without color correction? the way i'm doing it now is export to PDF and import to PS and print using the plugin with color correction disabled. are these steps still necessary?

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 12:27:18 pm »

Has anyone confirmed that this now prints test pages on Canon IPF printers without color correction? the way i'm doing it now is export to PDF and import to PS and print using the plugin with color correction disabled. are these steps still necessary?

I hope to test this in the next week or two and report back.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 12:32:04 pm by Simon J.A. Simpson »

Some Guy

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 02:05:00 pm »

Now if they just make it compatible with their "True Color Apps" for Android and iOS mobile device calibrations (instead of only compatible with ColorMunki Display - that would be great!

Jpegman

I went through that with x-rite already.  Ain't gonna happen as the "ColorMunki Photo" pulls a lot more juice than the Androids and iOS systems can supply and would kill them off in short order, and maybe before the end of the calibration run.  The "ColorMunki Display" pulls less current and why it works.

I got both.  Not that I wanted the later, but I had to go there.

SG

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 03:13:55 pm »

Better yet, if they would build True Color Apps that worked. Tried it when it first came out for iPad, huge mismatch so I’m not sure what they mean by color true. More like color untrue. Easily fixed if they didn’t provide what, three target’s for ‘calibration’ and let us adjust via a simple slider to match the desktop products. But for the price, hard to complain other then the huge engineering resources not used to fix products that can actually work (i1Profiler, in this case, ColorMunki).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

RachelleK

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 11:04:30 am »

There is another update for the Mac version of ColorMunki software, version 1.2.1.  Not sure what this fixes.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 11:06:12 am by RachelleK »

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 01:18:39 pm »

ColorMunki Photo 1.2.1 Release Notes

New for the 1.2.1 Release
The following features and improvements have been added for this (MacOS only) release:

Fixed issue where ColorMunki Photo 1.2.0 would crash at launch if installed over an older ColorMunki Photo installation.”

Some Guy

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 01:24:10 pm »

Better yet, if they would build True Color Apps that worked. Tried it when it first came out for iPad, huge mismatch so I’m not sure what they mean by color true. More like color untrue. Easily fixed if they didn’t provide what, three target’s for ‘calibration’ and let us adjust via a simple slider to match the desktop products. But for the price, hard to complain other then the huge engineering resources not used to fix products that can actually work (i1Profiler, in this case, ColorMunki).

Agree.

ColorTRUE app addresses the contrast on Android.  Seems to lower the contrast a lot so more shadow detail is visible on the LCD screen, but colors are still sort of odd.  Especially red.

I prefer the original JPG I put onto the Android tablet for some reason.

Jury still out on it.  Work in progress maybe.

SG

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 01:32:02 pm »

Work in progress maybe.
Yes but it takes the limited engineering resources X-rite has to build a kind of useless product while we wait YEARS for them to either fix bugs in products paid for or wait on features that were in far older products (ProfileMaker Pro, MonacoPROFILER), that don’t exist in i1Profiler. IOW, a huge waste of time on their part. So a work in progress that shouldn’t IMHO even be worked on.

RachelleK

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 01:40:58 pm »

ColorMunki Photo 1.2.1 Release Notes

New for the 1.2.1 Release
The following features and improvements have been added for this (MacOS only) release:

Fixed issue where ColorMunki Photo 1.2.0 would crash at launch if installed over an older ColorMunki Photo installation.”

Well, the new version didn't crash for me.  It just locked up.  Had to remove the old version and reboot for it to install.  Not much of an improvement.

R

MHMG

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 02:12:54 pm »

As of last week and after extensive efforts to find a work around, I concluded that printing to my iPF8300 with the Canon iPF driver is totally broken under Mac/Yosemite which is sad because I do use the "free layout" feature of the Canon printer driver, and that's not available when printing from the Ps plugin. However, the PS plugin is the only way right now to get properly managed color on my iPF8300 and no color adjust when needed for target making as well. I contacted Canon support, sent screenshots and documentation of issue to them. Hopefully they will fix it soon. BTW it seems to be only an issue with the Imageprograf driver running under Mac/Yosemite. The driver was working fine under Mavericks, and my little Canon PixmaPro 100 printer's driver is still playing nice with Mac/Yosemite.

Another interesting observation is that even the Apple Colorsync utility which added a feature called "print as target" in recent times to give Mac users a way to print color targets similar to Adobe Color Printer Utility appears to no longer be working correctly, either, and ACPU seems to be unable to highjack the Mac OS Yosemite printer pipeline like it used to when printing to the Canon if driver, so it would seem that Apple may have screwed the pooch again re: Color management in a way that affects some applications and drivers but not others, and the other vendors like Canon, Xrite, Adobe etc. are going to have to jump through hoops once again to sort it out.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 02:18:07 pm by MHMG »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 02:15:15 pm »

Mark, I printed and measured on an iSis XL a 400 patch target to a 3880 under 10.10.1, printed directly from i1Profiler and ACPU. I didn’t let the targets dry down so that’s why I think I see three blue patches >1dE but here’s the report:

--------------------------------------------------

dE Report

Number of Samples: 400

Delta-E Formula dE2000

Overall - (400 colors)
Average dE:   0.34
    Max dE:   1.18
    Min dE:   0.02
 StdDev dE:   0.24

Best 90% - (359 colors)
Average dE:   0.28
    Max dE:   0.67
    Min dE:   0.02
 StdDev dE:   0.17

Worst 10% - (41 colors)
Average dE:   0.85
    Max dE:   1.18
    Min dE:   0.67
 StdDev dE:   0.16

I tried ColorSync utility for the first time, I’m not certain what settings to use there for printing targets. It’s far from intuitive what setting should be used for no CMS. Whatever I picked wasn’t right or even worth measuring, I can visually see a huge difference on the print!

crwoo

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 02:19:45 pm »

I would try resetting printing system because the ipf8300 should work with Yosmite. I got an error before resetting fixed it. forgot what the error was.

howardm

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 02:33:04 pm »

Andrew,

In the ColorSync Util, I think you only have to open the target, Select File->Print and under Color Matching, there is a pulldown that
basically says 'Print as Color Target'

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 02:38:11 pm »

In the ColorSync Util, I think you only have to open the target, Select File->Print and under Color Matching, there is a pulldown that
basically says 'Print as Color Target'

Yes! Don’t know how I missed that. I had the Match to Profile set to none, thought that was necessary but thanks, that is the key I suspect. Will have to print that again and measure.

What is odd is I see no way to handle Page Setup correctly as I was in i1P and ACPU. There’s a Portrait and Landscape option but it isn’t working as expected (scaling the target).

With ACPU and i1P, the CS utility is about the last app I’d use for this task. But it is nice to see that option, 'Print as Color Target'

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2014, 02:41:25 pm »

Apple used to actually test their products years ago. Here’s an odd bug in the CS utility.

Pick Print as color target from the “Color:” dropdown menu. Use Black Point Compensation can be selected. Click in the check box and see what then happens. Obviously no one from Apple tested this UI sloppiness  :(
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up