Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One A-Series  (Read 18034 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Phase One A-Series
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2014, 07:13:43 pm »

That's great news. Can't load 8.1 for a few days after what happened this morning. But glad to see the lens support for sure.

I wonder why the 28 was left out?

It's just a start. There are many Rodenstock lenses in common use not on the list. Most notable (IMO) the 32HR and 90HR-SW which are two of the best lenses of any platform (32HR test sample).

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2014, 07:21:16 pm »

Yes, I missed the 32, as just assumed it would be there.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Ken R

« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2014, 09:00:03 pm »

Any *body* R&D. In fact if Phase One had a liveview mirrorless body in the pipeline they wouldn't invest R&D time in this kludge. This looks like a solution meant to give liveview P250C users good wideangle solutions for a stopgap year or two until a real Phase body arrives that can take short-throw symmetrical lenses.

Frankly, I like the idea - superb lenses, superb backs, factory calibration, well-integrated software, iPad screen for liveview, evey part here is best of breed. Maybe Phase don't need a new body if AF or cadenced shooting is not necessary and shooters just use wides. I guess Arca now need to do a deal to bundle the $10 Hassy Cmos back :)

Edmund

Honestly once you use a well tuned tech camera setup, for Landscape and Architecture, you don't really wanna mess about with a clunky MF SLR. I only use my Digital Back with an SLR when photographing people (mostly handheld) and works well for fast tabletop work also but thats about it for me. For wide angle work on a tripod of mostly distant subjects the tech camera is just much more efficient IMHO. You can rig up a pretty small and light package with lenses that are well above and beyond any MF wide angle lens made. The only MF SLR that isnt that clunky / cumbersome is the Leica S. But it is an integrated solution. The 645z still qualifies as clunky in my book but it is not too bad. It, like the Hasselbad H and the DF+, is still carrying the design burden of 645 film, a large Mirror Box and correspondingly long Flange Focal Distance.

But the same thing happened with 35mm SLRs. It was not until the Sony A7's and the Fuji X-T1 that we really got large sensor interchangeable lens cameras with very short flange focal distances and smaller and lighter bodies and lenses. 

The Leica S is a step closer to that and as such it allows (with adapters) the use of a wide range of lenses. The ALPA and now the ARCA FPS are also a step closer to a MF "Mirrorless" Body.

Medium Format Digital will get there. But it is gonna take a while. I know it is a bit frustrating since the parts/technology are out there to make it happen right now.

gerald.d

« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2014, 09:39:38 pm »

I just don't see the big deal.  

This is not a SLR, due to the lenses and copal shutters you can't shoot handheld using live view on the back, this is not even a true twin reflex camera where both lenses are so close the differences in perspective would not matter a whole lot.  

Basically we have a super watered downed tech camera with no movements and a view finder that's only advantage over the Arca viewfinder (or whatever) is that it is an iPhone.  You are still going to only get an approximate view of what you are shooting handheld.  To get an exact view, you would need to use a tripod and use live view on the back.  But if you are going this route, why not just get the whole package and buy a tech camera with movements?  

Because there are a whole load of photographers out there who probably couldn't give two hoots about movements (and you absolutely can shoot handheld using live view - it's just that the optimal approach here is to use the live view on the iPhone).

I don't think it's going to be particularly complicated for someone to get slick at taking the back out of live-view (I think this is necessary?), closing the aperture, and firing the shutter - ALPA have a one-shot release cable that means there's no need to separately wake up the back and then fire the shutter.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up