Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One A-Series  (Read 18033 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: Phase One A-Series
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 09:03:32 am »

Thats what you get thx to autocratic design and vision/focus. Jim J took the bull by the horns and just did it with (i am sure) a lot of big companies rooting against him. He gave them the finger and continued on. He had enough money and complete control.

Too bad he was not interested (or at least fully committed) in Medium Format Digital. 

Too bad he dropped the first Scarlet project and never made a usable prosumer product for "soccer moms" :)
The japanese firms could miniaturize the RED system nicely if they were not in NIH mode.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 11:17:15 am »

Too bad he was not interested (or at least fully committed) in Medium Format Digital.
Actually he was...I don't know what he uses now but at the time (5-6 years ago) he was using Aptus 75 backs on ALPA and Mamiya RZ cameras...
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

NickT

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 06:48:08 pm »

The hipster photobloggers freaking out over the mirror less nomenclature was hilarious though.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

tjv

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2014, 09:09:42 pm »

While I applaud closer collaboration between these manufacturers, it seems this "release" offers nothing noteworthy, at least not in my mind. Now, if it had of been an SWA that communicated shift measurements to the back to aid in automatic LCC, and / or dedicated EVF that would have been different.

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2014, 09:54:41 pm »

The inclusion of "mirror less" in the product name is weird because view cameras (which is what the components of this camera most resemble, in my opinion) do not have mirrors.

The nomenclature should more accurately feature the words "shift-less" and "tilt-less". I think it is also bellow-less because of the use of lenses with (I guess 'cos I have not seen a front view of an A-Series setup) helicoid focusing in the lens mounting.

So, what you end up with is a compact view-type camera with no movements. It might suit some.

I, for example have CCD digital back which I use with a Linhof Techno outfit and a Hasselblad SLR outfit. If I could use my view camera lenses on a body like the A-Series "body" with a good CMOS-type Liveview, I would sell my Hasselblad SLR outfit. I would need bellows in the body to focus.

Therefore, I would not end up with an arrangement as compact as the A-Series but still more compact than a Techno for those times when I do not need movements.
Roger

The hipster photobloggers freaking out over the mirror less nomenclature was hilarious though.
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2014, 07:17:29 pm »

Phase One could skip a lot of development time and money by getting into the Hy6….   
Just saying….
Rolleiflex USA

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2014, 10:09:32 pm »

We really need a Like button!

Phase One could skip a lot of development time and money by getting into the Hy6….   
Just saying….

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2014, 06:59:10 am »

It seems one of the dealers had jumped the gun.  I was asked to add this to the thread from Phase One . . .

Letter from Phase One

While product teams have been hard at work preparing the new A-series camera systems for market, Phase One and ALPA are happy to see such interest based on the early news shared by some of our U.S. partners. We regret any confusion, including the fact that the photo was of an internal prototype and not the finished product, but official images and more details will soon be on the way.

These new products are the first step in a long-term strategic & cooperative alliance between Phase One and ALPA that was announced at Photokina. Developing premium products for the world’s most demanding fine art photographers is our focus, and the A-series by Phase One and ALPA is taking the first steps in a creative new direction to integrate some of the highest performing and proven products -- across lenses, bodies, digital backs and software -- to make them easier and even more fun to use.

Below are the key highlights:
1 -- As noted, the A-series will be available in three versions: A250, A260 and A280 with 50MP, 60MP and 80MP respectively.
2 -- Each system will be individually configured with pre-loaded lens calibrations for Rodenstock ALPA 23mm, 35mm and 70mm lenses, making it easy to shoot great looking images out of the box.
3 -- Factory shimmed system marked with A-series badges on both body and back.
4 -- All systems will come with the required accessories -- including some new elements made specifically for this system, e.g. flexible lens shades, iPhone holder and new release cable.
5 -- A 5-year warranty on the system.
6 -- A special note on wifi: Phase One IQ250 camera systems have recently started supporting liveview over wi-fi using Capture Pilot 1.7 (which is already available for download to all IQ250 users). Liveview over wi-fi will also be a cool new feature for the CMOS based A250 using an upcoming 1.8 release.

Thanks for the patience. In December we will share even more details on the new systems including the new factory lens calibration feature, accessories, detailed tech specs, product images, pricing and even better, they will begin shipping!
 ---------

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

bcooter

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2014, 09:34:26 am »

Letter from Phase One.....snip......Thanks for the patience.

Kevin,

I know you have Phase One connections and it's appreciated, but this kind of communication kind of creeps me out in 2014.

A small sized company sending a publisher a release to be posted on an internet forum.

Let's be honest, Phase One isn't a huge corporation and it would take nothing for one of their principles to respond to this or any thread.

How hard is it to sign up?

It's kind of like BP talking through their law firm on the courthouse steps and is so 2001.

Our studios receives a lot of consumer data from clients before we go into concept.  

One thing that stands out over and over is the consumer doesn't buy the old behind the curtain process.

Where a company massages a message then talks through a third party.

Today people want direct information from the person that made it, or designed it or is responsible for it.  (whatever it is).

They want to know who is responsible and the real facts, not the PR.

Then again I don't understand this camera.   I think it looks kind of cool, but what does it do?  

It doesn't shift, it doesn't tilt, it's got to be a pain to focus and how does the wi-fi talk from the camera to the phone without a router or computer?

Phase has always been strange in their public dealings, but this camera seems to be either a dealer that jumped the gun or is it a publicity move?

But did the dealer jump the gun?  There has always been rumors that DT and Phase had a very "close" relationship and all the sites never said made by DT, they said
New Phase One mirrorless camera.  

Is it really new, or even mirrorless?

I mean this stuff has been out there for a while and it looks like someone said, hey we got a back, we got a lens holder, we got a lens.

Let's put it together take a photo and call it a camera.

That will keep the buzz up until we come up with a real camera.

Either way, the world has changed and we all know that until it's on a shelf, someone uses it, finds the issues and reports it, few if any buyer will give it attention, much less pull out a credit card.

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 09:39:52 am by bcooter »

Ken R

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2014, 10:54:52 am »

BC I don't think we were the target audience for the A series announcement / release.

To us the word "mirrorless" camera has many many implications that obviously the A series does not meet. For other people it might make sense for us, not so much since most of us here are already familiar with the different tech camera options including bodies and lenses. I guess for someone who doesnt want to or doesnt know anything and does not wants to deal with becoming knowledgeable in tech camera systems these camera/lens/back bundles make a lot of sense.

That is what they are, a package of mostly existing components that work well together and are backed by PhaseOne. That is a good thing. But I think the nomenclature and marketing by PhaseOne was not handled well at all for the more educated or should I say "sophisticated" clientele. Does not mean at all the product is bad, that is not nearly the case. Not even in question. On the contrary.

The IQ backs are superb backs and a joy to work with and the Rodenstock lenses are really some of the best lenses ever made in ANY format.

The packages look cool and Im sure can be used to produce spectacular images.

Regarding a new PhaseOne SLR camera body. It is long overdue, not because the DF+ is horrible, but because the IQ backs are more advanced that the body. Would be cool if the body at least matched the IQ Chassis which is superb.

gerald.d

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2014, 12:42:51 pm »

bcooter -

I don't get the "I don't understand this camera" comment.

Quite simply, this is a package built from existing off-the-shelf components.

What's there to understand?

Regarding focusing, with the 250 back, focusing will be just fine using live view.

Regarding wifi, this is nothing new - the back creates an ad-hoc network that the iPhone connects to.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

bcooter

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2014, 08:20:32 pm »

Phase can market how they wish.  It's their company.

But you know that something got lost when you have to come back and say what we mean is . . .

Anyway, the days of third party talk are over.  When your dropping nice car money for anything, you want direct response for the people involved at the base.

In regards to the camera, what I don't understand is no shift.  If your spending for a tech cam, why not just add the shift?

Because without shift it's just a slow moving still camera, I don't care how good the lenses are.

IMO

BC

bcooter -

I don't get the "I don't understand this camera" comment.

Quite simply, this is a package built from existing off-the-shelf components.

What's there to understand?

Regarding focusing, with the 250 back, focusing will be just fine using live view.

Regarding wifi, this is nothing new - the back creates an ad-hoc network that the iPhone connects to.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 08:29:52 pm by bcooter »

gerald.d

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2014, 11:32:56 pm »

I agree 100% with you regarding the marketing cock-up on the release, and how Phase One have dealt with it.

Regarding the camera, what you're basically saying is you don't understand the point of the ALPA TC.

Well, that's pretty simple really - it's a tiny 220g camera than enables the use of tech lenses with digital backs. What's not to love about that? I'm sure plenty of people are very happy to use the camera when they're out and about and neither want nor require movements.

It just seems such a bizarre thing to complain about - it's not like there aren't options available if you want/need movements.

It's interesting that one of the things Phase One are clearly putting quite a bit of effort into with this camera is the LCC library integrated into the back. That is something that is relatively simple to deliver with this camera precisely because it doesn't have movements. Who knows - perhaps in time there will be more cameras in this series, and that ALPA will introduce some electronics into their cameras to digitally record the amount of movement used and pass that information to the back to process with the LCC algorithm. Seems a logical development to me, but clearly would take a lot more work.

I reckon we'll be seeing Phase One put this camera in the hands of a top street photographer who will demonstrate with their photography why it's such a compelling proposition for them. Personally, I have all the components of this camera already, except for the iPhone holder, and I'm very much looking forward to trying it out once I can get my hands on that.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Phase can market how they wish.  It's their company.

But you know that something got lost when you have to come back and say what we mean is . . .

Anyway, the days of third party talk are over.  When your dropping nice car money for anything, you want direct response for the people involved at the base.

In regards to the camera, what I don't understand is no shift.  If your spending for a tech cam, why not just add the shift?

Because without shift it's just a slow moving still camera, I don't care how good the lenses are.

IMO

BC

tjv

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2014, 02:50:53 am »

One can only assume that this is the first product of a series of products and that Phase / Alpa are working on the integration of the components, such that with, for example the STC, there is some communication that allows automatic LCCs WITH movements. First use the back to programme the lens and working aperture (or use a shutter unit that also communicates aperture), then an electrical connection communicates movements. Sounds great to me, if they pull it off.
Pity DT jumped the gun here, as it's brought about confusion about some aspects of the package, particularly the in back LCC setup.

Personally, I couldn't care less about the iPhone holding gimmick. I'd want just the camera, lens and back.

bcooter

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2014, 05:08:52 am »

I don't know why there is no raw-shooting 4K super-35 camcorder out there at a reasonable price point. There must be a reason but I can't figure it out. I would sell all my stills kit and buy the Sony FS7

You got your wish and you don't have to buy Sony.

Super 35mm, uhd (almost 4k) free software and a real cine camera, that shoots dng raw and proress.  (You'll probably shoot proress cause it's good and thick and grades beautiful).

http://www.photocineshop.com/en/products/Blackmagic-Production-Camera-4K-PL-BJ3UJH

$2700 Euros inc. VAT (man you guys pay a lot of taxes) and you can get it in an active EF mount which means with two lenses the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 for around 500 euros  and a 70 to 200 2.8 for whatever you can find used, you get stabilization with lenses, a touch screen.

A small cage, a tascam maybe a goldline battery for power and for around 6,500 eurobucks including lenses you could shoot a movie and nobody would complain.

The blackmagic really shoots a beautiful file and this camera has a global shutter so no jello.

Think of it as a RED scarlet, or Amira for 1/5th to 1/10th the price.  Now that's worth announcing.

It's not automatic, you'll need two nd faders, but this is a deal and a no excuses camera, except it needs a lot of light.

Actually, (heres where I contradict myself,  I'd scrap the whole 4k thing and just buy a c100 mark 2.  Great low light, autofocus and will last you about a billion years.

If you shoot sharp, shoot crisp, few humans can tell the difference between 4k and 2k if your post is good.

It's an 8 bit 420 camera to a card, 10 bit through hdmi, but you can one man band this camera and get good results in almost any light.

Canon may be slow on the draw offering 4k, but they've got 2k down tight.

IMO

BC

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 05:30:41 am by bcooter »

RobertJ

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2014, 07:26:26 am »

A little off topic, but, the BMCC (2.5K MFT mount) enlarges pretty well to 4K FLAT (1.85:1 ratio, 3996x2160 DCP standard), which is my favorite frame size.

The 4K BMPC has more pixels, global shutter, compressed DNG, while the 2.5K has more dynamic range, amazing highlight rolloff, uncompressed DNG, enlarges pretty nicely, and can be converted to S35 with the speedbooster.

The motion cadence of all Blackmagic cameras is incredible.  I prefer the look of the motion, even over an Alexa. 

Blackmagic looks like pure cinema, despite the negative aspects of the cameras/sensors.  Just IMO.

Okay, back on topic about some stupid $40,000 camera or something...

joezl

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2014, 04:41:57 pm »

Phase One seems to be incapable of producing a new MF body. The new "A" is nothing more than overpriced Alpa components. I've been told by my local Phase distributor that they (Phase One) get most of their revenue by licensing their technology and patents to other technology manufacturers. Very little of their profits (if any) come from their sales of digital backs. I don't know if this is true, I have no way of verifying it, but Phase One's inability to produce a camera body on par with their digital backs leads me to suspect that they are in no hurry to replace their awful MF Mamiya bodies.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2014, 05:10:22 pm »

Phase One seems to be incapable of producing a new MF body. The new "A" is nothing more than overpriced Alpa components. I've been told by my local Phase distributor that they (Phase One) get most of their revenue by licensing their technology and patents to other technology manufacturers. Very little of their profits (if any) come from their sales of digital backs. I don't know if this is true, I have no way of verifying it, but Phase One's inability to produce a camera body on par with their digital backs leads me to suspect that they are in no hurry to replace their awful MF Mamiya bodies.

Not to doubt you but what technology would they be licensing?  Outwardly Phase One seems to be pretty limited to digital backs and their software neither of which I believe are sold under any other brand. I for one wish there was a Credo 50 class back being sold as licensed technology by another company at a more affordable price.

Being such a closed and private company, it's hard to know much about Phase One.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2014, 07:51:20 pm »

Replace "Phase" with "Canon" and "Body" with "Sensor" and that post still makes perfect sense!
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up