Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji GX680 lenses thoughts  (Read 17051 times)

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
Fuji GX680 lenses thoughts
« on: November 12, 2014, 01:09:39 am »

Hello, I am interested in getting a GX680 system for use with IQ180 and film, I was wondering if you guys could share your thoughts and help me understand these lenses, both specifically and abstractly (like their naming nomenclature etc) since many of them seem very similar. Any first hand experience / samples would be greatly appreciated. I attached a list just for reference, since I don't know anything about them.

Best,
BH

EBC Fujinon 50mm f/5.6 GX (M)
EBC Fujinon 65mm f/5.6 GX (M)
EBC Fujinon 80mm f/5.6 GX (M)
EBC Fujinon 100mm f/4.0 GX (M)
EBC Fujinon 115mm f/3.2 GX MD
EBC Fujinon 125mm f/3.2 GX MD
EBC Fujinon 125mm f/5.6 GX (M)
EBC Fujinon 135mm f/5.6 GX (M)
EBC Fujinon 150mm f/4.5 GX (M)
EBC Fujinon 180mm f/3.2 GX MD
EBC Fujinon 180mm f/5.6 GX (M)
EBC Fujinon 190mm f/8.0 GX SF
EBC Fujinon 210mm f/5.6 GX (M)
EBC Fujinon 250mm f/5.6 GX (M)
EBC Fujinon 300mm f/6.3 GX (M)
EBC Fujinon 500mm f/8.0 GX (M)
EBC Fujinon 100-200mm f/5.6 GX (M)
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

Martin Ranger

• My Website.
Re: Fuji GX680 lenses thoughts
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 12:47:20 pm »

Brian,

the EBC Fujinon 180mm f/3.2 GX MD is an amazing lens. It stays on my Fuji most of the time. It is sharp, has nice micro-contrast and extremely smooth out of focus blur. Due to the way it transitions from in-focus to out-of-focus the subject almost seems isolated from the background. I think FredBGG, who is an expert in all things Fuji GX related, by the way, described it as looking like the background is painted on canvas.

I can find you some hi-res examples; in the meantime, the landing page on my website should give you an idea. Also this: http://www.martinrangerimages.com/new-work/23 , http://www.martinrangerimages.com/new-work/25
and http://www.martinrangerimages.com/lifestyle/38

I also like the EBC Fujinon 250mm f/5.6 GX for when I need a little longer reach. You might need the focus rail extensions and longer bellows for some portrait work, though: http://www.martinrangerimages.com/new-work/24 and http://www.martinrangerimages.com/lifestyle/36

UPDATE: Links have changed.

Hope this helps.
Martin
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:26:01 pm by Martin Ranger »
Martin Ranger
Seattle, WA

www.martinrangerimages.com

asnapper

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 06:17:14 pm »

I have the 50mm f5.6 which is a huge lens and is the only lens with an image circle which doesn't allow full movements, but its sharp as are the other lenses, I also have a 65mm f5.6, 100mm f4, 115mm f3.2, 125mm f3.2, 180 f3.2 & 190mm f8 SF. The camera itself is a beast but so versatile thanks to all the movements. There are Flicker and Facebook groups for the Fuji 680, where you will find lots of samples. 

Theodoros

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 06:57:31 pm »

Hi Brian,
I have the 65, 100, 125/5.6 , 150 and 210... They are all up to the requirement of my Imacon 528c back, even in 16x MS mode.... I haven't tried a smaller pixel pitch back on it with movements... but lens distance from light sensitive area is more than view cameras for the same focusing distance and thus I would expect it to be more forgiving...  The lenses were all designed before MFDBs of 9μm or less ever appeared, but as with Rollei SL66 they seem to gain considerably from not having a focusing mechanism which seems to be beneficial for their performance despite the age of the design... Also, Image circle seems to be ideal for MFDB size with movements... (at least with a 9μm pixel size back attached).

DanielStone

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 08:32:49 pm »

I love my pair of "Godzilla's" :D

I'd sell my LF equipment before selling these. NOT light, but you're essentially buying a fully electronic view camera with an auto-wind back. There were a few different models made(in the III series at least).

The III"S" doesn't allow any front movements, the "III" has front movements(rise,fall,shift,swing, all manual).

I've even read about some savvy photographers who shot studio work using the longer FL lenses on a 4x5 camera, with a beater body as the shutter control module :). This way they could do multi-exposure shots without recocking the shutter(like a Copal/Compur).

-Dan

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 09:46:57 pm »

There were a few different models made(in the III series at least).

The III"S" doesn't allow any front movements, the "III" has front movements(rise,fall,shift,swing, all manual).

-Dan

I hadn't even thought of this since i assumed the latest model would be the best, namely the IIIS, so what is the difference between the III and the IIIS, namely, why would you want the S over the non-S?

Thank you.

Best,
BH

Martin Ranger

• My Website.
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 11:13:55 pm »

I hadn't even thought of this since i assumed the latest model would be the best, namely the IIIS, so what is the difference between the III and the IIIS, namely, why would you want the S over the non-S?

Thank you.

Best,
BH

The IIIS is 340g lighter and around 3cm shorter.
The III model is also not necessarily better than the "I". It is newer, of course, but if I remember correctly, I prefer the mirror lock-up mechanism of the I over the III: with the I the mirror is unlocked after each shot, with the III you have to return it manually. Also the mirror slap seems softer with the I than with the III.
Caveat: I haven't used the I in a while.
Martin Ranger
Seattle, WA

www.martinrangerimages.com

Joe Towner

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 12:04:32 am »

I got a III off ebay damn cheap - the IIIS didn't appeal due to the lack of movements - best money I ever put down.  The ability to put my Hass back on it is amazing - a KaptureGroup plate and a sync cable and I'm done.

I'm actually surprised there isn't someone renting these kits. 
t: @PNWMF

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 12:24:51 am »

Thanks for the input, I'm traveling to Hong Kong and Tokyo in early January, basically the Mecca of film cameras, where I hope to be able to find a nice deal on a GX680III + lenses, prob just as easy to get them on eBay, but its way more fun negotiating and having the overall buying experience. I'll obviously report back once I've had time to use it.

KaptureGroup plate is obviously a must, since from what I have seen these lenses hold up insanely well.

Best,
BH

Theodoros

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 01:33:34 pm »

The III model is also not necessarily better than the "I". It is newer, of course, but if I remember correctly, I prefer the mirror lock-up mechanism of the I over the III: with the I the mirror is unlocked after each shot, with the III you have to return it manually. Also the mirror slap seems softer with the I than with the III.
+1

Theodoros

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 01:41:36 pm »

Thank you.

Best,
BH
S doesn't have the movements... "I" is the best choice if MFDB use is the major issue... III only offers film economy if 6x4.5 or 6x6 or 6x7 is to be used instead of 6x8... I thought that if film will be required, 6x8 would be the choice anyway and would offer the maximum of WA coverage... If 6x4.5 or 6X6 or 6x7 use of film are not included in your plan... "I" is your best bet... (Slightly) better construction too...

yuri

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 10:35:52 pm »

The IIIS, I believe, was designed for the 50mm, the 100-200mm and the 500mm.
For the 50mm the movements are restricted as mentioned before and it is a beast in terms of mass, so the stiffer (non moving) front standard is a plus with this lens. The 100-200mm and the 500mm also have quite a lot of mass, so the stiffer front standard may be preferable.

FYI, there was also a version one of the body that was an "S". Same deal, no movements.

I love the 180mm f/3.2 (but foolishly sold it) as well as the 65mm and 115mm f/3.2

I want to love the 50mm (and am on my second one), but need to find more time to spend with it. The 250mm and 80mm round out my kit.

One very cool accessory is the cradle / strap combination. I recently found one and it makes for an interesting neck piece. But seriously, it is quite convenient (and quite a workout) to walk around with it and then just raise it a few inches to focus and shoot.

yuri

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 10:38:56 pm »

check out Mir's GX680 inventory that he is selling. He knows GX680 gear, especially as it applies to digital (he rents them out). I was there this past weekend and saw some of his amazing inventory... drool worthy stuff.

http://www.capturetek.com/Toronto-rentals-digital-techs-capture-Phase-One-Hasselblad-Mamiya-GX680-Canon-Speedotron-Profoto/for_sale.asp

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 10:59:58 pm »

Thank you all for the responses, so after reading, this is my question

Looking at GX680 I's versus III's (with movements), personally I seem to like the aesthetic and potential feel of the III's more since they seem to be more of a modern design in terms of their materials etc, is there some reason other then this to go for a I over a three for DB work?

Thanks again.

Best,
BH

yuri

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 11:42:46 am »

The version III and IIIS can be powered through either the external AA adapter (also can use rechargeable battery or AC adpater at this same terminal) [which the I, IS and II can also use] or the III and IIIS can use CR123A batteries that are loaded into the bottom of the camera body. The AA battery holder is readily available.

Also, the III and IIIS have strap lugs - similar to those on the Pentax 6x7 and 645 bodies. While the strap that attaches to the lugs is quite hard to find, it is much easier than trying to find the cradle/strap combination (body mounts to a cradle that has different strap attachments on the sides).

The III and IIIS also incorporate LCD (versus LED in the earlier versions) display.

Another lovely, but hard to find accessory is the AEIII finder for the III/IIIS.

Thank you all for the responses, so after reading, this is my question

Looking at GX680 I's versus III's (with movements), personally I seem to like the aesthetic and potential feel of the III's more since they seem to be more of a modern design in terms of their materials etc, is there some reason other then this to go for a I over a three for DB work?

Thanks again.

Best,
BH

Chris Livsey

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 12:39:34 pm »

Theodoros

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 05:17:46 pm »

The version III and IIIS can be powered through either the external AA adapter (also can use rechargeable battery or AC adpater at this same terminal) [which the I, IS and II can also use] or the III and IIIS can use CR123A batteries that are loaded into the bottom of the camera body. The AA battery holder is readily available.

Also, the III and IIIS have strap lugs - similar to those on the Pentax 6x7 and 645 bodies. While the strap that attaches to the lugs is quite hard to find, it is much easier than trying to find the cradle/strap combination (body mounts to a cradle that has different strap attachments on the sides).

The III and IIIS also incorporate LCD (versus LED in the earlier versions) display.

Another lovely, but hard to find accessory is the AEIII finder for the III/IIIS.

The AA battery adapters of the III ...also work on "I" & "II"... with rechargeable NiMH batteries too... One must do a simple "trick" though, there is a small button on the battery chamber which is pressed when the Ni-cad original battery is inserted by the battery's body... One must drill a small hole on the AA (III) battery case, so that when it is inserted, the button won't be pressed in by the case, but it will stay "out" in the hole drilled. Very handy! Another very handy thing, is if one has "dead" batteries on an "I".... He can "open" the battery by cutting it with a tool in its perimeter and after cleaning the "guts" of the dead battery off, wire six AA rechargeable "nicads" in it... It sums up to exactly 1.2x6=7.2V which is the original spec of the battery and then he can charge it on the camera's original charger... I have two dead batteries converted to brand new this way and another two battery packs of the "III" with holes drilled which I use with six rechargeable NiMH batteries in them!

marat

Re: Fuji GX680 training, gear for sale and rental.
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 07:31:58 pm »

Hi,

Someone here mentioned that they have never heard of rentals of the system being available still. Most rental shops will sell off equipment that is no longer currently repaired or supported by the manufacturer. Being a specialty 'boutique" rental house, I like carrying the harder to find items, as long as they have a unique value proposition, which GX680 definitely has, and will continue having. I rent almost every item ever made for the system, from my personal "GX680 museum" including multiple generations of same lenses, all 5 models of bodies, etc. I am located in Toronto, Canada.

Also have a number of GX680 models 1, II, and III, many models of lenses, and related gear still left for sale, after many years doing buying and selling of it, and will be posting updated list here soon, once I update prices.

My specialty (side passion) is in selling custom systems, which saves a lot of time from buying things piecemeal, or buying a large system with many things not needed for one's specific uses, then having to sell those items off. I don't really make a profit off it, doing it mainly to promote how great it is, and is a great way to connect with GX680 current or potential users. I have transacted with hundreds of GX680 buyers and sellers over the years.

Main advantage of buying from me is convenience, post sale support, professional system consulting and training, and end up selling a lot to Canadian and international clients, or to USA buyers that like buying a whole system, need something rare right away, or are traveling to Toronto, which I can then do some training if first time users and time is valuable to them. I have tested all the lenses with P45 or stitched P45 back, and been using the system professionally since 1998. Form that testing, I know that most lenses in the system can stand up to even higher MP and larger sensors.

Anyone can message me if interested. My buddy Yuri mentioned me in this thread, but forgot to mention that I also rent all my own personal gear. The equipment for sale has never been rented out by me, but haven't really promoted it, so rental requests have been rare. I do make sale gear available for rental if someone  wants to try that specific item before buying, and I apply half the rental charge against purchase, but they always end up buying it, so never comes back.

Mir Lada
Toronto, Canada
Pages: [1]   Go Up